Treasury executive or compliance associate? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Treasury executive or compliance associate?

Old 07-01-2016, 10:07 PM

inapickle is on a distinguished road
Default Treasury executive or compliance associate?

Hi everyone,

I need some help making a decision. I have recently been offered a Treasury exec position in a small commodities trading company, and a compliance associate position in a foreign bank. The Treasury role is focused on payments and settlement/ maintaining and opening of bank accounts/ assisting traders with financing. The compliance role is your standard kyc/aml/due diligence checks.

My ultimate goal is to break into equity research (currently doing CFA Level II). I'm having difficulty deciding which offer to accept. The Treasury role seems more interesting as it's in the commodities industry, but it does seem like it could be quite administrative with settlements and account openings. The compliance job is within a bank, where I could do some networking and eventually transfer to a research role, but it is a 1-yr contract role with no job security.

Please give me your opinions on which position is more suitable!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

Treasury v ops. I now doing treasury, everyday bout rates, bonds, fx, mm.
Compliance to me is like a lot of checking work to be done. Both role got a lot of corporate actions to be done. Choose the one that gives u experience closer to ur goal lor. Treasury at least u get to learn how company can move money around to re-invest to earn interest.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by inapickle View Post
Hi everyone,

I need some help making a decision. I have recently been offered a Treasury exec position in a small commodities trading company, and a compliance associate position in a foreign bank. The Treasury role is focused on payments and settlement/ maintaining and opening of bank accounts/ assisting traders with financing. The compliance role is your standard kyc/aml/due diligence checks.

My ultimate goal is to break into equity research (currently doing CFA Level II). I'm having difficulty deciding which offer to accept. The Treasury role seems more interesting as it's in the commodities industry, but it does seem like it could be quite administrative with settlements and account openings. The compliance job is within a bank, where I could do some networking and eventually transfer to a research role, but it is a 1-yr contract role with no job security.

Neither of the 2 jobs help in becoming a stock analyst. CFA isn't going to help much as everyone is getting it, so that's like basic cert at best.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Neither of the 2 jobs help in becoming a stock analyst. CFA isn't going to help much as everyone is getting it, so that's like basic cert at best.
What he say.
You can flush your CFA down the toilet for either of this two positions.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 AM

inapickle is on a distinguished road

I understand both positions are not relevant to my goal, but job opportunities are hard to come by.

If I had to accept one regardless, would my best bet be the Treasury position or compliance? Do people usually return to banks after working in a commodity firm?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Treasury v ops. I now doing treasury, everyday bout rates, bonds, fx, mm.
Compliance to me is like a lot of checking work to be done. Both role got a lot of corporate actions to be done. Choose the one that gives u experience closer to ur goal lor. Treasury at least u get to learn how company can move money around to re-invest to earn interest.
could you elaborate more for a job scope in treasury? is it client facing?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I understand both positions are not relevant to my goal, but job opportunities are hard to come by.

If I had to accept one regardless, would my best bet be the Treasury position or compliance? Do people usually return to banks after working in a commodity firm?
The hard truth is both options don't have much to do with becoming a stock analyst. That's like asking whether procurement or marketing is better to become a civil engineer in the future. Answer is none.

Just pick the job you think is more tolerable. Don't kid yourself any of them or that CFA cert you are studying helps in anyway. Hard truth.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

sorry hijack this thread. Would like to ask which would have a better long term job prospect/resume. A financial analyst in the government ministry or a compliance executive in an insurance firm. what are the options available 3-5yrs down the road.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;77737]could you elaborate more for a job scope in treasury? is it client facing?[/

You need to find out does your treasury role includes processing settlements ? Cos settlements very troublesome. My one is in corporate treasury. I don't really enjoy cos everyday have to churn bank instruction letters during lunch hour, and then chasing for authorised signatories to approve the fund transfers. And then the letter needs to reach the bank by 4pm. Too operational I don't intend stay long cos this ops role don't suit my personality. I like to talk to people than doing paperwork. but it could be possiblity to transfer dept. Why don't u go join MA Programme?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi everyone,

If you stay true to your ultimate goal... I would say go work for a brokerage (vickers,kim-eng etc). They take in an army of brokers every year from all sorta background.

Just so you know, most banks are shrinking their research team but I assumed you done your due diligence in picking this path.