which have a better prospect, business or engineering? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

which have a better prospect, business or engineering?

Old 15-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Verified Member

ngkj is on a distinguished road

i have been going for job interview recently and some company benefits is not bad. so i have been thinking to myself that should purse a degree or should i just start work now? Definitely pursing a degree will be better as there will be higher pay and better progression but what if i dont do well and also nowadays company also look in to experience as well.So i am thinking should i give up on pursing a degree and start working since the pay and perks are not bad. I've tried asking if i am able to purse a part time degree but they are a 24/7 standby company so pursing a part time would be hard or almost impossible as you may get called anytime for work.And also i dont really know what to study as well. I had gotten advice that i can do business cause i have a diploma engineering cert, next time i can go in too engineering as well but if i go in to a engineering degree going into business would be hard as i know nuts bout it and also my English suck as i only get D7 for 'O' level which i might not even been able to get in to private uni like SIM. Tho i have heard many advice from my friends saying that a degree cert will definitely help in the future but the problem is i dont know which area should i go in...engineering or business?

Thanks for the many advice too, it really help increase my knowledge of the society

Old 15-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngkj View Post
i have been going for job interview recently and some company benefits is not bad. so i have been thinking to myself that should purse a degree or should i just start work now? Definitely pursing a degree will be better as there will be higher pay and better progression but what if i dont do well and also nowadays company also look in to experience as well.So i am thinking should i give up on pursing a degree and start working since the pay and perks are not bad. I've tried asking if i am able to purse a part time degree but they are a 24/7 standby company so pursing a part time would be hard or almost impossible as you may get called anytime for work.And also i dont really know what to study as well. I had gotten advice that i can do business cause i have a diploma engineering cert, next time i can go in too engineering as well but if i go in to a engineering degree going into business would be hard as i know nuts bout it and also my English suck as i only get D7 for 'O' level which i might not even been able to get in to private uni like SIM. Tho i have heard many advice from my friends saying that a degree cert will definitely help in the future but the problem is i dont know which area should i go in...engineering or business?

Thanks for the many advice too, it really help increase my knowledge of the society
SIM is not as difficult as you think. I've seen many China people there and they hardly speak properly english. If end of the day you would like to go business and if D7 really couldnt give you a place in SIM, then i recommend you go retake your O level english. That's what my friend did. I'm in a technology and engineering firm, what i observe is my management do have a dip in eng and then probably a business degree but now, they hardly cope. reason being technology changes so much that their dip became useless. Business skills you can get on a part time courses sponsered by company or maybe at WDA, it is like mutliple short courses. Whereas if you go in engineering, you will realise it is different from your dip lessons, it is even more indepth. business i would say poly and uni modules wont make much differences. i can see you believe in business more since that's what you friend saying, but im in the work force gg 7 years, and looking forward to the trend, im lucky i took an engineering degree above all. if you want to go into business then go be accountant. years down the road, alot of the processes will be slowly replaced by automation, robots, software etc. but if the company want to look into money related virutally, they still will prefer humans to verify. then look at that time, engineering like software engineering will be a big role in all company. software engineers doesnt need you to be very good in english but must be good in thinking.

PTE looks good in the surface, but increment really sucks unless you go MNC

Old 15-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Unregistered

honestly this kind of question like what deg got better prospect is a useless question that cannot be answer. everyone will have their own opinion and every degree will have its own success & failure stories.

the problem here is actually the simplistic mentality the TS is using to determine what to study. probably due to lack of social experience and not interested to study anything in the first place that cause this type of question.

Old 15-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Im the poster for #22. another advice probably you go and work at that company which u mentioned benefits is good and meantime u retake your o level. after that you gauge how well can you perform in work and how the company view you despite not having a deg and decide whether to take a degree a not. part time or full time depend on urself. but if you dont have the heart to study, please do waste the money.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
honestly this kind of question like what deg got better prospect is a useless question that cannot be answer. everyone will have their own opinion and every degree will have its own success & failure stories.

the problem here is actually the simplistic mentality the TS is using to determine what to study. probably due to lack of social experience and not interested to study anything in the first place that cause this type of question.
ddon't waste internet bandwidth if you have nothing useful to contribute. you can alwasy dont read.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Verified Member

Thanks for the advice. Been going on interview and mostly looking for a long term employee while i just wanna work till i start sch. Should i just lie to them?lol Some of the job need to be standby 24/7 means that study part time would be hard or almost impossible.Regarding to post 22, so engineering pay can be high as well? what if i am in the field of electrical? Most of my friend pay only increase a bit by year?How bout fresh grad bus student?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 19-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Been going on interview and mostly looking for a long term employee while i just wanna work till i start sch. Should i just lie to them?lol Some of the job need to be standby 24/7 means that study part time would be hard or almost impossible.Regarding to post 22, so engineering pay can be high as well? what if i am in the field of electrical? Most of my friend pay only increase a bit by year?How bout fresh grad bus student?
Im the poster for #22. Well if you were to lie to them then next time after you graduate and looking for job, the interviewer or HR saw your last job stated in your resume was only a few months they may doubt you and if they were to do a background check and things might not be good. I suggest you look for intern job or temporary position so that next time when you graduated and would like to join them back at least you have a good record. Be honest with your employers will always be good. Engineering can be high and proceed to management. If you doing electrical which is so specific then eventually it is better to get yourself registered as Chartered or professional engineer, the pay will be higher. Your friend isit local uni grad or? Honestly, quite a lot of companies do depend on your academic like your uni degree cert to give you the pay and increment. I do have sim business grad friend their starting pay only 2k. Better grading sim one 2.5k and this is not joking. If your are local uni grad then 2.8k or 3k will be min. If you be accountant or finance and slightly higher ( for local grad). My sim friend No matter which business field they go in, the pay is always lower then local uni. MNC will pay higher then local private limited.

I can see you want to go to some where that pay higher but i suggest if you want to take on a degree, then you study first then see how well you can do.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

my advice is start working first. since you have no idea what you want to pursue for education and career. and to be honest, having a private degree in business and engineering dont really help much, if you're a fresh grad. only the lower-tier companies will recognise them. even then, your pay isnt going to be much higher than a dip. for the amount you're paying for your degree, not worth it.

hence, just go look for job. apply both biz and eng positions. go to interviews. find out more about the different roles. accept the low pay, tell your interviewers you want to learn. once inside, if you really like the role and see yourself advancing in that role, that's when you go for further education, to enhance your knowledge.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Im the poster for #22. Well if you were to lie to them then next time after you graduate and looking for job, the interviewer or HR saw your last job stated in your resume was only a few months they may doubt you and if they were to do a background check and things might not be good. I suggest you look for intern job or temporary position so that next time when you graduated and would like to join them back at least you have a good record. Be honest with your employers will always be good. Engineering can be high and proceed to management. If you doing electrical which is so specific then eventually it is better to get yourself registered as Chartered or professional engineer, the pay will be higher. Your friend isit local uni grad or? Honestly, quite a lot of companies do depend on your academic like your uni degree cert to give you the pay and increment. I do have sim business grad friend their starting pay only 2k. Better grading sim one 2.5k and this is not joking. If your are local uni grad then 2.8k or 3k will be min. If you be accountant or finance and slightly higher ( for local grad). My sim friend No matter which business field they go in, the pay is always lower then local uni. MNC will pay higher then local private limited.

I can see you want to go to some where that pay higher but i suggest if you want to take on a degree, then you study first then see how well you can do.
my friend only dip in eng.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
my advice is start working first. since you have no idea what you want to pursue for education and career. and to be honest, having a private degree in business and engineering dont really help much, if you're a fresh grad. only the lower-tier companies will recognise them. even then, your pay isnt going to be much higher than a dip. for the amount you're paying for your degree, not worth it.

hence, just go look for job. apply both biz and eng positions. go to interviews. find out more about the different roles. accept the low pay, tell your interviewers you want to learn. once inside, if you really like the role and see yourself advancing in that role, that's when you go for further education, to enhance your knowledge.
Most of them encourage me to study now as if i start working and got used to it,studying would be tough for me and also of course will have no more monthly income. Even part time will be tiring as u have to study and work at the same time.For me, i wouldnt mine part time despite more tiring but the problem is i dont really know what to study after hearing so much.In the past i would want to continue with a eng degree,but after hearing i tho to myself bus would be great too?