Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Broking and Entertaining Clients (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6423-broking-entertaining-clients.html)

eyesiceeyes 01-01-2016 07:15 PM

Broking and Entertaining Clients

Hi all,

Q1: From my understanding it is expected for someone in the broking business to "entertain clients" and by the quoted term, does it always have to be associated with drinking with clients and getting dead drunk?

Q2: How else can a broker or anyone required, entertain clients without getting drowned in alcohol?

Q3: How different is the working culture in those big broking firms (e.g. Tullett, CGI, BCG, ICAP etc.)?

Q4: If you are one of the desk heads hiring new blood, what do you look for and what is the biggest turn-off you see in potential candidates?

TIA for your kind input!

Unregistered 02-01-2016 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesiceeyes (Post 77441)
Hi all,

Q1: From my understanding it is expected for someone in the broking business to "entertain clients" and by the quoted term, does it always have to be associated with drinking with clients and getting dead drunk?

Q2: How else can a broker or anyone required, entertain clients without getting drowned in alcohol?

Q3: How different is the working culture in those big broking firms (e.g. Tullett, CGI, BCG, ICAP etc.)?

Q4: If you are one of the desk heads hiring new blood, what do you look for and what is the biggest turn-off you see in potential candidates?

TIA for your kind input!

what type of broking?

eyesiceeyes 02-01-2016 12:32 AM

Are there any differences? Please enlighten me!

Unregistered 02-01-2016 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesiceeyes (Post 77449)
Are there any differences? Please enlighten me!

maybe depends...

Unregistered 02-01-2016 11:16 AM

Masters

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesiceeyes (Post 77441)
Hi all,

TIA for your kind input!

I work in banking but not in money broking aka interdealer broking (IDB)

1. "Entertaining" clients means bringing clients out for lunches/dinners to get face time and establish a better r/s. And it includes drinking. For brokers, i would imagine you need to drink frequently, though i doubt there's need to be dead drunk often

2. Lunches/dinners

3. Not sure

4. Looks give you a good edge

Unregistered 02-01-2016 07:56 PM

bcg and bgc very different

Unregistered 02-01-2016 10:20 PM

gcb is better than bcg

eyesiceeyes 03-01-2016 11:54 PM

Regardless of the genre, can it be concluded that being a broker means you will have to drink? Does that also mean a person should forget about being a broker if he or she is allergic to alcohol? That's rather unfortunate isn't it?

Unregistered 04-01-2016 12:03 AM

are u a fanboy of vici gaming's iceiceice? LOL

Megazord 05-01-2016 05:38 AM

If you are a girl I guess you don't have to drink. There are other ways for them to entertain male clients