Is it possible to be both a real estate agent and a insurance agent at the same time? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Is it possible to be both a real estate agent and a insurance agent at the same time?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM

undecided2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Is it possible to be both a real estate agent and a insurance agent at the same time?

I am thinking of doing both at the same time and then gradually move to the one i like better. Does the regulating bodies allow this nowadays?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Unregistered

Yes, very easy if in the past.

With the tighter regulation now, it's almost impossible if you are a new agent in both fields.
Juz to get the license for insurance, MAS do a 'background' check on you nowadays, not counting the various papers u need to sit and pay for. Some of my ex-colleagues had to declare their other job positions and 1 of them took 4-5 months to clear, running up and down to settle the license just becos he is oso a sole trader in his other company.

Also heard of ppl failing to get their license becos they hav past records, from criminal to less minor like traffic fines (No relationship but still rejected).

The property agents are slowly being given the same treatment.
Btw, I was an ex-insurance agent who left last year.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM

undecided2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

With the tighter regulation now, it's almost impossible if you are a new agent in both fields.
Juz to get the license for insurance, MAS do a 'background' check on you nowadays, not counting the various papers u need to sit and pay for. Some of my ex-colleagues had to declare their other job positions and 1 of them took 4-5 months to clear, running up and down to settle the license just becos he is oso a sole trader in his other company.

Also heard of ppl failing to get their license becos they hav past records, from criminal to less minor like traffic fines (No relationship but still rejected).

Thanks for the advice!

Old 25-10-2012, 02:41 AM
shoezy

Red face Some advice appreciated

Quote:

hi, can i ask how long were u in the line (as an insurance agent) and why u left? i am a fresh non-local uni grad currently undecided between whether to join the insurance agent line or find a regular 9-5 job…
Old 25-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoezy View Post
hi, can i ask how long were u in the line (as an insurance agent) and why u left? i am a fresh non-local uni grad currently undecided between whether to join the insurance agent line or find a regular 9-5 job…
Join insurance only if you have a big social network and are a sociable person.
Old 25-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoezy View Post
I left voluntarily due to office politics. Another common reason people leave is due to not meeting quota requirement. It's like courtship, haha. Before joining, alot of good words and promises given but once you "stepped into the pirate ship", things changed.

Things like reporting to office on a daily basis, attending unnecessary trainings/sharing which are simply "paper talks" but nothing useful learnt, or meetings imposed by your managers. The best part, all these additional time wasting events are not part of MAS or company's requirements and make to things worse, managers in my ex-agencies can't see eye to eye themselves.

The time spent on those training/meeting/sharing or travelling to office could have been better utilized for prospecting, or more useful via on the ground practical training by the managers through demonstration. However, most managers are simply lazy to do so. Despite raising opinions seeral times, most rather stay in air-con rooms putting on a 'show' that they have 'fulfill' their duties as leaders through talking. Some are even worse, do not even bother about their agents after recruiting them.

Sad to say, I did not have the luck to meet good leaders during my 3 years even after changing company once, where the same things happen after the honeymoon period.
It depends on your luck as every agency culture is different. Both agencies I joined are leaded by old timers, in the industry for almost 20years where the culture has never changed throughout the years according the my seniors back then.

Even as 9-5 employees, office politics happen. As an employee, I may endure for the sake of money but as an agent, the leaders override and earn from my commissions yet make life difficult. Disillusioned and deciding I had enough, it's better to leave for the long term.

The good things are the broader network & knowledge due to many people you will meet, from the very poor to the rich, and the sales experience that will help you to read others & carry yourself better, and lesser chance of being conned due to your limited financial knowledge.

I know of many senior agents who think the same way but dare not leave due to family comittments and afraid of not able to find a job or pay cut after staying too long in the insurance line. Therefore, consider carefully what you want. There are also cases of people joining as part-timer but are 'forced' by their leaders to commit more time and eventually choose to decide between day job or insurance. You can email to [email protected] if you like further advice.

Old 25-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I left voluntarily due to office politics. Another common reason people leave is due to not meeting quota requirement. It's like courtship, haha. Before joining, alot of good words and promises given but once you "stepped into the pirate ship", things changed.

Things like reporting to office on a daily basis, attending unnecessary trainings/sharing which are simply "paper talks" but nothing useful learnt, or meetings imposed by your managers. The best part, all these additional time wasting events are not part of MAS or company's requirements and make to things worse, managers in my ex-agencies can't see eye to eye themselves.

The time spent on those training/meeting/sharing or travelling to office could have been better utilized for prospecting, or more useful via on the ground practical training by the managers through demonstration. However, most managers are simply lazy to do so. Despite raising opinions seeral times, most rather stay in air-con rooms putting on a 'show' that they have 'fulfill' their duties as leaders through talking. Some are even worse, do not even bother about their agents after recruiting them.

Sad to say, I did not have the luck to meet good leaders during my 3 years even after changing company once, where the same things happen after the honeymoon period.
It depends on your luck as every agency culture is different. Both agencies I joined are leaded by old timers, in the industry for almost 20years where the culture has never changed throughout the years according the my seniors back then.

Even as 9-5 employees, office politics happen. As an employee, I may endure for the sake of money but as an agent, the leaders override and earn from my commissions yet make life difficult. Disillusioned and deciding I had enough, it's better to leave for the long term.

The good things are the broader network & knowledge due to many people you will meet, from the very poor to the rich, and the sales experience that will help you to read others & carry yourself better, and lesser chance of being conned due to your limited financial knowledge.

I know of many senior agents who think the same way but dare not leave due to family comittments and afraid of not able to find a job or pay cut after staying too long in the insurance line. Therefore, consider carefully what you want. There are also cases of people joining as part-timer but are 'forced' by their leaders to commit more time and eventually choose to decide between day job or insurance. You can email to [email protected] if you like further advice.
looks like this whole wot is just to pyscho others to email you so you can give/sell "advice"
Old 25-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
looks like this whole wot is just to pyscho others to email you so you can give/sell "advice"
And the purpose?
I am not even in insurance, property or even mlm industry now.
Individuals can always choose not to email.
Btw with an email, what can be done?
Not even asking for personal particulars or contact numbers.

Well, there are definitely people who assume the worst about other people.
No wonder other threads have so much flaming and wastage of bandwidths.
The above poster, pls dont bother to reply back least this thread becomes another of those flaming & bandwidth wasting threads.
Whoever needs advice, just email.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Mikepropertytoday is on a distinguished road

I think it is better to stay in one forte. I experience doing both last time and it was really difficult. Also, this can hurt your reputation at one point instead of show casing yourself as a consultant if your prospects finds also that you also offer other things they will immediately lose interest.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Just to share.

Went with my friend to a food court to meet a real estate agent.

bloody ****, she was dressed so sexily. skirt so short. oh my god... buay ta han!!!!!

Tight tight, short short in a mini black dress. impossibly high heels..