Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice in getting into private banking, investments and fund management (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6186-advice-getting-into-private-banking-investments-fund-management.html)

youngmoney 20-11-2015 09:32 AM

Advice in getting into private banking, investments and fund management

Hi, Im an undergrad in NTU business (marketing). What can i do to better my chances to get into these sectors?

Im looking at getting a CFA level 1, another finance degree, or getting an IBF level 1 certification.

Unregistered 20-11-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngmoney (Post 75492)
Hi, Im an undergrad in NTU business (marketing). What can i do to better my chances to get into these sectors?

Im looking at getting a CFA level 1, another finance degree, or getting an IBF level 1 certification.

You either get a summer internship at any of the global investment bank or you can forget about it.

Nobody gives a hoot for additional certs like CFA or Finance major, it is expected for most people in the industry anyway.

Unregistered 20-11-2015 10:54 AM

if u need to ask then u wont get in. just be humble & go take up a marketing exec job in a hopefully good co.

anba 21-11-2015 05:07 PM

if you cant provide useful info why comment?
he was asking for advice. not cynicism.

if your tired of your life..go take it out elsewhere

Unregistered 21-11-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anba (Post 75601)
if you cant provide useful info why comment?
he was asking for advice. not cynicism.

if your tired of your life..go take it out elsewhere

and ur useful info is????

Unregistered 21-11-2015 06:38 PM

Don't waste your time. Take care.

Quote:

Unregistered 21-11-2015 06:53 PM

Just curious, if you are interested in these jobs then why didnt you major in finance?

anba 21-11-2015 08:27 PM

Relevant Internships are the key. Offcourse internships within the Investment management industry, and the more famous the brand name the better.. but even if its a boutique shop take it. When you start applying for graduate opportunities, your resume will need to show demonstrated interest in the industry.

Also, your NTU GPA will be more important than CFA & you should look to add finance as an additional major for your degree. Or at least minor in it or take electives. In the interviews, you will be tested on your technical knowledge.

Unregistered 21-11-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anba (Post 75611)
Relevant Internships are the key. Offcourse internships within the Investment management industry, and the more famous the brand name the better.. but even if its a boutique shop take it. When you start applying for graduate opportunities, your resume will need to show demonstrated interest in the industry.

Also, your NTU GPA will be more important than CFA & you should look to add finance as an additional major for your degree. Or at least minor in it or take electives. In the interviews, you will be tested on your technical knowledge.

u sure know how to talk like some investment banking insider for a guy that few weeks ago still dream that E&Y transactions services was a prestigious management consultancy and still in dliema whether to accept a entry level researcher job in Neilsen

Unregistered 21-11-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Change your major to finance.

Otherwise forget about it.