Advice in getting into private banking, investments and fund management - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice in getting into private banking, investments and fund management

Old 22-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Verified Member

anba is on a distinguished road

what does being knowledgeable about stuff have to do with the work i'm doing? Do i have to lay out my sources for your approval? Tell me master.. i need your validation.
How are you even contributing to this discussion except being negative? if you cant be supportive & helpful of people, stfu!

Old 22-11-2015, 02:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anba View Post
what does being knowledgeable about stuff have to do with the work i'm doing? Do i have to lay out my sources for your approval? Tell me master.. i need your validation.
How are you even contributing to this discussion except being negative? if you cant be supportive & helpful of people, stfu!

Cause you are not helping by giving false information and false hope. i am not the guy that said the stuff previously but most of what you said is patently wrong. Only right thing would be GPA is key and CFA does not really matter. That's about it. Investment banks, big small or boutique, takes the cream of the crop. you do not need to be finance major, as long as your major is considered analytical and rigorous enough (i.e. some engineering, hard sciences course). The problem is an internship in IB is as difficult to get in as the main job, which means if you don't excel at the start of university you're SOL. of course if you know someone inside a bank or some rich people who can pull connection then that changes thing.

Old 22-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Verified Member

anba is on a distinguished road

False information? What about getting relevant internships is false info? AT NUS, I've known people getting into FO S&T roles at CS, UBS, Barclays after only doing mid-office or even non finance internships. Granted some were scholars studying rigorous courses (engg, math) ('cream of the crop' type) etc..

While I have no idea about how capable the OP is.. I'm just laying out facts as I've seen them play out. For all I know, he's got 5/5 CGPA...

So.. yes, while IB internships would be great.. if your good, you still have a shot regardless.

Last edited by anba; 22-11-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 22-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Cause you are not helping by giving false information and false hope. i am not the guy that said the stuff previously but most of what you said is patently wrong. Only right thing would be GPA is key and CFA does not really matter. That's about it. Investment banks, big small or boutique, takes the cream of the crop. you do not need to be finance major, as long as your major is considered analytical and rigorous enough (i.e. some engineering, hard sciences course). The problem is an internship in IB is as difficult to get in as the main job, which means if you don't excel at the start of university you're SOL. of course if you know someone inside a bank or some rich people who can pull connection then that changes thing.
Not surprising. This forum is full of people who don't know anything anyhow based on hearsay talk like they are experts/insiders. Firstly I don't even think any real investment banker will post here, even if have also once in a blue moon.

Secondly if this guy at least was in some MO/BO in a bulge bracket, then can still believe some of it, but for a jobless joker who couldn't even tell the difference between E&Y outsourcing and a prestigious management consultancy and then later desperate enough to consider joining a marketing firm as a entry researcher, you gotta wonder what business he has in advising others on how to be an investment banker.

Don't know never mind, but don't fake like an expert and worse still accuse others of being negative when their incorrect information is pointed out.
Old 22-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Unregistered

I work in a different area in finance, but I have very close friends in IB.

I think that there is a lot of misconception about how to break in. The most important thing to do would be to secure the relevant internship at an investment bank during your penultimate year.

If you don't get that, you have no chance, sorry.

From there, you either get converted or you luck out. This explains why the interns work themselves to the bone.
Old 23-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anba View Post
False information? What about getting relevant internships is false info? AT NUS, I've known people getting into FO S&T roles at CS, UBS, Barclays after only doing mid-office or even non finance internships. Granted some were scholars studying rigorous courses (engg, math) ('cream of the crop' type) etc..

While I have no idea about how capable the OP is.. I'm just laying out facts as I've seen them play out. For all I know, he's got 5/5 CGPA...

So.. yes, while IB internships would be great.. if your good, you still have a shot regardless.
Getting relevant internship is false hope, not false information. It's impossible to get relevant internship unless you are good enough to qualify in the first place. IB interns are paid full salaries and do real work, they're not your normal intern doing menial work like other internship. They're not going to let you in unless you're good enough. .

Old 23-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I work in a different area in finance, but I have very close friends in IB.

I think that there is a lot of misconception about how to break in. The most important thing to do would be to secure the relevant internship at an investment bank during your penultimate year.

If you don't get that, you have no chance, sorry.

From there, you either get converted or you luck out. This explains why the interns work themselves to the bone.
Finally someone that speaks the truth. The next key thing would be connections. You need the following to just get a shot for internships:

1) Excellence grades (at least FCH, but high score GPA would be perfect) if you are from local uni (ivy league different measurement standards)
2) Connections to ensure that your resume gets read, and that you are able to secure an interview.

Getting that internship is just half a foot into the door. When you're doing internship, network network and more network. Excelling in your work is a GIVEN. Work performance no good, no chance. Unless of course someone loves you (hence the advice to network).

But bear in mind. The first 4 - 6 years will be hell. Working at least 12 hours a day, according to overseas working hours (meaning meetings at late nights), and constant jetting. You won't get to spend the money you earn, and your health will take a plummet. Confirmed. Cause if you don't make the cut after getting in, you will face the cut. Competition is stiff.
Old 26-11-2015, 05:07 PM

youngmoney is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for advice

I really couldnt care less about those who hate yo, by the way its just a forum and we are all behind the screen so anyone can be anyone.

Thanks for laying down the options man, now I have a clearer view. We are all here to learn more isn't it. Most forumers are here to get some advice and check the "market" and it's a fact that we all have different perspective and at different stages so lets just be kind ya

As for now, I will work on my GPA and get finance related knowledge and get more internship experience! Thanks guys

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 26-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Finally someone that speaks the truth. The next key thing would be connections. You need the following to just get a shot for internships:

1) Excellence grades (at least FCH, but high score GPA would be perfect) if you are from local uni (ivy league different measurement standards)
2) Connections to ensure that your resume gets read, and that you are able to secure an interview.
You don't exactly need FCH grades if you're from local uni.. Second upper is fine. I know of many second upper at BB banks. But yes, push for as high a cap as you can.

As for connections, don't be too worried about this. Just do your thing and attend the networking sessions. In the end, it's more about your abilities and how you fare at the interviews.
Old 29-09-2019, 05:15 AM
Unregistered

This thread is years old, but I thought I'd add a positive perspective for anyone else Google sends here.

If you're struggling to get a 'core' finance role, you can always go the long way round and start in a support function. Finance companies all have marketing, IT, HR departments etc. Once you're in the door, you can start working your way towards a finance role.

I switched over to financial marketing in my late 20s. I could demonstrate a basic knowledge of the industry due to my academic background in economics and it was clear from my CV that I could work under the expected level of pressure.

I would say a CFA (foundation or Level I) would definitely interest a potential employer if you went for something like a marketing job. It wouldn't be enough on its own, but the negativity in here is OTT.

The direct route is obviously the most profitable, but if you happened not to choose to major in finance (or maths/physics/engineering) when you were a teenager, the door isn't completely shut.