Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

career switch

Old 30-10-2015, 11:38 AM

35yearsold is on a distinguished road
Default career switch

Need some advice.

I'm 35 yr old female, 2 young children. Just quit my job recently, was working full time in art/film/media industry for 11 years drawing a salary close to 5k, no bonus, no OT pay and working pass 10 hrs a day is a norm in this industry, and also asked to work on some Saturdays when project near its due. I have a degree in film/multimedia.

Why do I quit, coz I need a time-flexi job, to be able to pop by house from time to time to check if everything is ok. Long story short, I need a work life balance job. I gave up 8-5 office (or I call it 13hrs not at home) job.

I've been searching around to see what kind job fits me and I am comfortable with. As my field of expertise is niche and there aren't much opportunity for time-flexi work in this field (industry not doing well, talent over supply), I turn to real estate friends, insurance agent friends, MOE teachers, even mlm and they always say very good! Come join me! Especially RES and Insurance. Totally new career but I don't have many more 5 years to try this and that.

Could anyone give me some advice. I'm now undecided between RES, Insurance, teacher. What kind of career will I have in future, lets say next 3-5 years, can I draw a salary of 5k by then?

Old 30-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35yearsold View Post
Need some advice.

I'm 35 yr old female, 2 young children. Just quit my job recently, was working full time in art/film/media industry for 11 years drawing a salary close to 5k, no bonus, no OT pay and working pass 10 hrs a day is a norm in this industry, and also asked to work on some Saturdays when project near its due. I have a degree in film/multimedia.

Why do I quit, coz I need a time-flexi job, to be able to pop by house from time to time to check if everything is ok. Long story short, I need a work life balance job. I gave up 8-5 office (or I call it 13hrs not at home) job.

I've been searching around to see what kind job fits me and I am comfortable with. As my field of expertise is niche and there aren't much opportunity for time-flexi work in this field (industry not doing well, talent over supply), I turn to real estate friends, insurance agent friends, MOE teachers, even mlm and they always say very good! Come join me! Especially RES and Insurance. Totally new career but I don't have many more 5 years to try this and that.

Could anyone give me some advice. I'm now undecided between RES, Insurance, teacher. What kind of career will I have in future, lets say next 3-5 years, can I draw a salary of 5k by then?
Sales is just sales. If you are good, it doesn't really matter which company or industry you will still make big bucks. If you don't know if you are good at selling, chances are you are not.

As for MOE teacher, it's a complex process and most teachers will tell you it isn't really a work life balance job.

You should broaden your job hunting and not restrict to just generic sales & teacher job. It's a much bigger world out there.

Old 30-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

First of all I don't think you can have enjoy the best of everything. Either you focus on your career or your family. In my work experience I have seen colleagues (mothers) take up sales roles with flexi arrangements (usually US MNCs) where you can "work from home" as long as you show results. "Working from home" could mean you can send/pick up the kids from school, run errands etc but you need to get your job done even if it means staying up at night to finish your work.

You could try to find something along those lines.

Old 30-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Why not become a full time mum? Your husband can support you and family. Live a simple life. You can buy a 3 room BTO flat for only $200k plus. Don't need to own a car and you don't need a maid if you become a full time mum. Give the best to your children. They deserve it.

Quote:
Need some advice.

Old 30-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

Forget teaching. MOE scale down hiring from 3000 a year to 1000 a year. Plus recession coming, a lot of fresh grads and jobless are applying. Interviewees are given a topic and are expected to demo their teaching skills during the interview. You choose the wrong to enter.

Try full time tuition for flexible work life balance. You control your time. I done it for two years and it was fun. 3k to 4k per month but a lot of free time.
Old 30-10-2015, 09:28 PM

35yearsold is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the advice, seriously need some soul searching. I feel pretty wired and insecure without my own paycheck. Can't totally depend on my hubby, he will be so stressed, his salary is just slightly more than me, mortgage to pay off and 5 mouths to feed including mom in law. No maid no car. We've been saving for rainy days. He might get retrenched anytime, his company had laid off 80 ppl pass couple months while my ex company 150 in the course of 3 rounds over some years. You know la, less staff to share on works, the survivors need to take on more responsibilities. We are in the same industry. That's why I need to quit and venture into something different than his. Or we both doomed.
Thought being a teacher would be a good option, I do hear many says very busy. I wonder how busy compared to mine, can reach home by 6pm? Though can return home for lunch if I'm at neighborhood school. My hubby just returned from work at this hour. 9pm. -.-
Sales would be hard work from the start, thick face go around bug ppl, then after some time will be much at ease. Still need to busy sort paperwork, service clients, that's what I got from my friends. Right? Don't think any MNC want to hire me. 0 sales experience. 0 teaching experience, tuition centre sure say no.
I need to start all over, but I only have one shot to do it, not like fresh grad can try here and there. Can't regret after decision is made. Feeling less confident now.

Old 30-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice, seriously need some soul searching. I feel pretty wired and insecure without my own paycheck. Can't totally depend on my hubby, he will be so stressed, his salary is just slightly more than me, mortgage to pay off and 5 mouths to feed including mom in law. No maid no car. We've been saving for rainy days. He might get retrenched anytime, his company had laid off 80 ppl pass couple months while my ex company 150 in the course of 3 rounds over some years. You know la, less staff to share on works, the survivors need to take on more responsibilities. We are in the same industry. That's why I need to quit and venture into something different than his. Or we both doomed.
Thought being a teacher would be a good option, I do hear many says very busy. I wonder how busy compared to mine, can reach home by 6pm? Though can return home for lunch if I'm at neighborhood school. My hubby just returned from work at this hour. 9pm. -.-
Sales would be hard work from the start, thick face go around bug ppl, then after some time will be much at ease. Still need to busy sort paperwork, service clients, that's what I got from my friends. Right? Don't think any MNC want to hire me. 0 sales experience. 0 teaching experience, tuition centre sure say no.
I need to start all over, but I only have one shot to do it, not like fresh grad can try here and there. Can't regret after decision is made. Feeling less confident now.
with your degree, you're only able to teach at pri sch. and it's true, you're applying at the wrong time, they just had a huge recruitment campaign the past 1 yr. def can get home by 6pm, but rmb u start at 7am. anyway, next application window is feb next yr, so u have a lot of time to figure out
Old 30-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
A few things being a teacher you need to know:

1) Can knock off by 5pm usually, but do note that they start at 7am.
2) You are expected to work at home after dinner about 1/3 of the time, i.e. usually marking assignments, working on project papers or curriculum planning
3) You have no annual leave. Most schools will give you 2 weeks in June & 3 weeks in December as rest.
4) Teaching is only 50% of the job. 30% is on admin/CCA and 20% on customer service. Rough estimate, but you get the idea.
5) Medical outpatient is non-existent. Unless you go poly clinic, all private GP visits for you & family MOE only cover $10.

Honestly if the reason you want to quit is you want short and flexible working hours teaching is not really the way to go. Also realistically speaking if you start from scratch I doubt you can get back your 5k in 3-5 years.

My advise to you is talk to your husband and try to get the priorities right. To expect to get a job which has short working hours, flexible timing, yet must get back 5k within few years very unlikely unless you have some special skills or connections in the market.
Old 31-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Estate Agent

Wink

Hi Dear,

I have been an estate agent for 20 years since 1995.

My honest opinion to you it is never an easy path or option for you to consider this as a replacement of your current salary of $5K.

Yes, we do close deal and secure commission in 5 digits or some even 6 digits. Don't get blinded to earn such good commission without putting much effort and time.

Though you can control your own time and allow you to schedule based on your convenience, however you would realise soon that it is not possible as you would be putting much effort to secure any appointment in order to have a higher hit rate of closing.

Especially now the market is so weak, you would find out that your effort running up and down, marketing expenses would drain you up soon.

In my 20 years, I saw many rookies that make high 6 digits commission annually for a few years. After that, the stamina burst and not easy to maintain continuously such high earning which also partly depending on luck besides hard work.

Should you really consider to be an estate agent, you should plan long term and build up the trust and good relationship with clients and not thinking of your interest first, meaning own commission.

Otherwise you may do very well for 1-2 years and die off soon.

Think seriously about it and don't waste any more time. Once you set your mind to be an estate agent, work hard and all out, don't think that money flowing in would be constant and save to prepare for zero commission for many months.

It is purely for money sake, I bet soon you would give up when you see no deals for months.

Interest and maintaining good relationship continuously with my customers are some of the main reasons that I still hanging on.

Good luck to your next career!!

Quote:
Need some advice.

Old 31-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

Have you ever considered switching to musing as a career. With an ageing population, demand for nurses will rise.