List of Management Associate Programs - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




List of Management Associate Programs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Personally I am just speaking from recruitment experience. People are free to disagree as there is no universal standards of what constitutes prestigious.

For me what distinguishes good & prestigious is really the wow factor. Wow factor means if you are in a social setting, interacting with headhunters or negotiating your salary, friends will look at you in admiration, headhunters will be eager to connect with you even if they have no opportunities at hand, employers will look at you in deference.

Sure generally FO jobs in BB attract the best, but those who choose to join some sort of BO/MO rotation program still have a much better wow factor compared to a similar MAP in DBS for e.g. Maybe some will argue that they know anecdotal someone who is in some place not as good as people think, but that's not really the point. It is all about perception and employer brand equity.

A lot of it is really common perception. I mean try and imagine during CNY you visit relatives 2 youngsters introduce themselves as management associates, 1 is from Shell the other from DBS. Who do you think is likely to be the talk of the town?

The only difference in having recruitment experience is that I know better what are some of the companies that others always want to poach, what programs are harder to get in and what companies candidates are desperate to get in but can't.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah, no one is denying that prestige is hard to quantify. But then again, what about other considerations like pay? For instance, I know DBS MAP pays about 4.5 - 5k?

I believe Shell pays lesser, say 4k max? Does this affect your judgement of the two candidates/companies?

How would you rank all the MAP/graduate programs (including banks) but not FO roles since those aren't MAP? Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 03:47 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
Megazord is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For BB, there are also those who prefer MO roles for work-life balance. Not completely true to say that the best go for FO jobs though I get what you mean.

I like to know what a recruiter thinks as prestigious (or not) though.
That's an interesting point of view. However, from my personal experience, most people who are fresh out of uni and go to middle office would want to segue to front office in the future. Its just that they cannot break in with their current profile so they apply for middle office instead

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megazord View Post
That's an interesting point of view. However, from my personal experience, most people who are fresh out of uni and go to middle office would want to segue to front office in the future. Its just that they cannot break in with their current profile so they apply for middle office instead
How do you know all of their career aspirations/ambitions let alone grades and abilities at school?

I have a good network of people who made it to FO and MO as well as BO obviously. Its not always true the best go to FO lah. Some of those who head to MO, like I said, do it for family reasons, personal choice, liking the work better (credit/market risk?) etc: why is it so hard to believe that a fresh grad dislikes IB hours or the mundane work?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure generally FO jobs in BB attract the best, but those who choose to join some sort of BO/MO rotation program still have a much better wow factor compared to a similar MAP in DBS for e.g. Maybe some will argue that they know anecdotal someone who is in some place not as good as people think, but that's not really the point. It is all about perception and employer brand equity.

A lot of it is really common perception. I mean try and imagine during CNY you visit relatives 2 youngsters introduce themselves as management associates, 1 is from Shell the other from DBS. Who do you think is likely to be the talk of the town?
Judging by what you said, it seems like impressing a random stranger on the streets who is absolutely unaware of the difference between a BO role in BB and a FO role in a regional bank like DBS is your top-most priority. In that case, then yes, perhaps a role like DBS MAP wouldn't fall under your category of prestigious positions.

Nevertheless, here is another possible angle to look at things. If your intention is to "impress" your fellow educated peers who are cognizant of the differences between BO/MO/FO in the different tiers of banks, then I would say that DBS MAP is probably more prestigious than your BO role in BNP Paribas or Credit Agricole.

(Note that I quoted BNP Paribas/Credit Agricole because some people might still debate that a BO role in JPM/Deutsche Bank is still more prestigious than a local bank's MAP)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah, no one is denying that prestige is hard to quantify. But then again, what about other considerations like pay? For instance, I know DBS MAP pays about 4.5 - 5k?

I believe Shell pays lesser, say 4k max? Does this affect your judgement of the two candidates/companies?

How would you rank all the MAP/graduate programs (including banks) but not FO roles since those aren't MAP? Thanks.
Not really. DBS pays 4.3 - 4.8k on a 15-16 mth package while Shell pays about 3.8-4k on a 18-19 mth package. Also DBS MAP usually get ~10-20% increase every year during the program while Shell offers ~20-30% increase. The difference becomes bigger after a few years, if you compare a DBS & Shell MA grad in the mid 30s, the salary gap becomes very wide.

I think it's hard to rank individual programs per se, I mean what's really the difference between GSK or Unilever or HSBC program? It really depends on what functions you are in, the kind of industry you like, as well as the type of rotational opportunities at hand. They are the kind of programs most people in the market will accept as getting the best at hand, but individual experience is going to vary.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
Megazord is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The only difference in having recruitment experience is that I know better what are some of the companies that others always want to poach, what programs are harder to get in and what companies candidates are desperate to get in but can't.
Hi, do you mind sharing what are some of these programs that candidates are desperate to get in but can't and so forth?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not really. DBS pays 4.3 - 4.8k on a 15-16 mth package while Shell pays about 3.8-4k on a 18-19 mth package. Also DBS MAP usually get ~10-20% increase every year during the program while Shell offers ~20-30% increase. The difference becomes bigger after a few years, if you compare a DBS & Shell MA grad in the mid 30s, the salary gap becomes very wide.

I think it's hard to rank individual programs per se, I mean what's really the difference between GSK or Unilever or HSBC program? It really depends on what functions you are in, the kind of industry you like, as well as the type of rotational opportunities at hand. They are the kind of programs most people in the market will accept as getting the best at hand, but individual experience is going to vary.
You got your facts wrong. Shell starts off at 3.4k basic and rises to 5k at the end of three years. On the other hand, DBS MAP are getting about 4.8k in their first year. Bonuses are subjective and hard to gauge. Against the backdrop of an oil crisis, I don't think shell is rushing to pay out 6 months bonuses just like that.

It's tough to make the assertion that a shell grad will definitely outearn a DBS MAP in his mid 30s. Proof please.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 22-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You got your facts wrong. Shell starts off at 3.4k basic and rises to 5k at the end of three years. On the other hand, DBS MAP are getting about 4.8k in their first year. Bonuses are subjective and hard to gauge. Against the backdrop of an oil crisis, I don't think shell is rushing to pay out 6 months bonuses just like that.

It's tough to make the assertion that a shell grad will definitely outearn a DBS MAP in his mid 30s. Proof please.
Don't know much about DBS MAP and other banking MAP but Shell's starts off at $3.4k basic (+$200 for NS). Pay rises to at least $5k (better performers can even see close to $6k) after about 2.5 years (considering a fresh graduate typically joins in July/August after graduation in year X and he/she will exit the MAP in February of year X+3). The fixed bonus is always 3 months and variable bonus depends on the individual's and company's performance (the range is huge, can be 2 months, can be 7 months; it all depends). There are also employee and performance shares schemes. It is not unusual to see a MAP graduate earning above $200k/year in the mid 30's. There is also ample opportunities to rotate between various class of businesses (a typical MAP would have seen at least 4-5 different roles in different areas by the time he/she is in the mid 30's). Not to mention there is also the chance of expatriation in the different Shell offices around the world.

The above info was true a few years ago, I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 23-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't know much about DBS MAP and other banking MAP but Shell's starts off at $3.4k basic (+$200 for NS). Pay rises to at least $5k (better performers can even see close to $6k) after about 2.5 years (considering a fresh graduate typically joins in July/August after graduation in year X and he/she will exit the MAP in February of year X+3). The fixed bonus is always 3 months and variable bonus depends on the individual's and company's performance (the range is huge, can be 2 months, can be 7 months; it all depends). There are also employee and performance shares schemes. It is not unusual to see a MAP graduate earning above $200k/year in the mid 30's. There is also ample opportunities to rotate between various class of businesses (a typical MAP would have seen at least 4-5 different roles in different areas by the time he/she is in the mid 30's). Not to mention there is also the chance of expatriation in the different Shell offices around the world.

The above info was true a few years ago, I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.
Dun talk nonsense lah, double salary in 2.5 years! Haha my toes are laughing oil crisis now all the oil companies firing and cannot even pay bonus still talk rubbish about paying 6 mths. LOL

Mid 30's above $200k is pathetic, most local bank MAPs can pay >$200k by late 20s lor. Some of you here really frog in the well don't know market trends still try to BS.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[ASK] DBS Management Associate Programme aNakalimz Income and Jobs 0 15-06-2015 05:54 PM
Do you need help to get into Business Consulting & Management Programs? nuttyprofessor Income and Jobs 15 21-04-2015 02:09 PM
Wealth Management Programs 2015 sky1 Income and Jobs 0 11-10-2014 05:44 PM
Q: Management Associate at SGX Saab Income and Jobs 3 17-09-2013 12:30 PM
PSA Management Associate Programme kwkhiu Income and Jobs 6 03-04-2013 07:15 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
15% pay cut from private sector to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,433 Replies, 713,007 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,344 Replies, 1,025,975 Views
Need cash for tough times?
0 Replies, 60 Views
SAS BIA Program
0 Replies, 59 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,219 Replies, 349,791 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
855 Replies, 311,053 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,317 Replies, 273,642 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,204 Replies, 981,646 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
998 Replies, 441,113 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,929 Replies, 1,168,395 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
463 Replies, 195,248 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
571 Replies, 276,854 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 217,842 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,753 Replies, 597,233 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
301 Replies, 512,349 Views
Enquiries about NEA scientific...
0 Replies, 178 Views
Performance Improvement Plan - New... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 7,195 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 3,316 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 795,490 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 34,189 Views
Senior police officer in SPF...... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 51,984 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,102 Replies, 3,839,927 Views
Exxon salary question
2 Replies, 778 Views
Fresh Grad looking to enter...
1 Replies, 1,259 Views
Startup or Bank?
3 Replies, 421 Views
Salary in India vs Singapore. ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 1,130 Views
Shipping industry (low basic +...
5 Replies, 860 Views
Siemens engineering graduate...
0 Replies, 282 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
50 Replies, 29,443 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2