Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   29/M/single - can I find anything better? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5647-29-m-single-can-i-find-anything-better.html)

amka 11-08-2015 07:33 PM

29/M/single - can I find anything better?

I'm a 29 year old, single expat working on local pay (no benefits), and I make about $175,000 per annum. I've been thinking about a new career move lately, but I've come to the realisation that perhaps better job prospects may be difficult to find here compared to my current situation.

I'm certainly grateful for what I get now, but looking to get some different perspectives from those who know more about the Singapore job landscape.

Unregistered 11-08-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amka (Post 71350)
I'm a 29 year old, single expat working on local pay (no benefits), and I make about $175,000 per annum. I've been thinking about a new career move lately, but I've come to the realisation that perhaps better job prospects may be difficult to find here compared to my current situation.

I'm certainly grateful for what I get now, but looking to get some different perspectives from those who know more about the Singapore job landscape.

how can u be an expat when ur on local pay without benefit? by definition that means ur just a foreign national staff working here, not on expatriation.

amka 11-08-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71367)
how can u be an expat when ur on local pay without benefit? by definition that means ur just a foreign national staff working here, not on expatriation.

Fair point, foreign national staff it is.

Unregistered 12-08-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amka (Post 71371)
Fair point, foreign national staff it is.

How can a foreign staff be hired on local package and command such a high salary? Do you mean that all those 29 year old in your company are paid similar salaries as you?

I was under impression all these people who come to Singapore are paid hefty money compared to the locals as they are on an expat salary package. If they are on local salary package then they would not command the high salaries.

How many local 29 year olds are paid $175,000 per annum? By the time we finish our degree in a local uni, we are around 24-25. Even with a first class honours, it's close to impossible to reach this salary on local pay in 4 years time.

Maybe, to inflate our salaries and feel happy, we can include Employee contributions but still it might fall short of $175,000 by 29.

Unregistered 12-08-2015 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71373)
How can a foreign staff be hired on local package and command such a high salary? Do you mean that all those 29 year old in your company are paid similar salaries as you?

I was under impression all these people who come to Singapore are paid hefty money compared to the locals as they are on an expat salary package. If they are on local salary package then they would not command the high salaries.

How many local 29 year olds are paid $175,000 per annum? By the time we finish our degree in a local uni, we are around 24-25. Even with a first class honours, it's close to impossible to reach this salary on local pay in 4 years time.

Maybe, to inflate our salaries and feel happy, we can include Employee contributions but still it might fall short of $175,000 by 29.

There are many jobs which pay fresh grad very well. Even if you exclude all the investment bankers, >6k starting pay is not unheard of.

Unregistered 12-08-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

banking jobs 175k by 29 yo is very common. fresh grad in fo can already reach 200k+ inc bonus.

amka 12-08-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

I don't know much other people my age make, but had I received the full expat package (car, housing, country club membership(s), home leave, etc), the overall package would've doubled or more probably.

I should note that my base pay is $150,000 per annum, excluding any health or employer contributed benefits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71383)
banking jobs 175k by 29 yo is very common. fresh grad in fo can already reach 200k+ inc bonus.

I currently work in a MNC, so not in the finance sector. Is banking the only sector to have that level of pay at 29?

Unregistered 12-08-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71383)

many jr vp can easily hit 175k all in. if female no ns 25 yrs old already can.

Unregistered 12-08-2015 01:07 PM

i would love to take your job. 175k pa is serious dough. most ppl would be damn happy to get 100k pa at age 29.

Unregistered 12-08-2015 01:26 PM

I find it hard to believe the normal banking jobs can really pay 200k at age 30. Not talking about investment bankers, but personal, corporate banker or back office like IT, product marketing, compliance, HR, accounting etc. can hit so high so fast?