Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How to start at a Bank! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5586-how-start-bank.html)

Unregistered 29-07-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie (Post 70717)
Woah there! Don't pop a coronary, I swear you're getting more worked up over me, than I am getting worked up over online HR portals!
Well firstly I do somewhat know the bank structure (I have friends working in a few. Yes, I have asked them to refer me. No, it didn't work as HR rejects my application citing "No banking experience")
Anyways, regarding my lack of knowledge on AML, I do have to agree with you. I have zero knowledge on practical Anti Money Laundering. I do have, however, theoretical knowledge as I will listen to webinars (free ones, cos I'm cheap like that) and have done the online courses.
Now, you seem to have a clearer idea of the banking career path, so help me! What can I do to get into my dream job?
So far I have:
-Been applying for every AML/KYC job that appears on job boards and individual bank sites. (And other entry level bank jobs, since I want to cast a wider net after not getting replies for a long time)
-Pm-ed people on LinkedIn introducing myself and asking for a referral in :X (yea I know, creepy. Although no one replies, and rightly so hahaha! I mean I wouldn't if some random person asked me that)
-have not tried badgering the AML people on this forum yet though, I should go do it now :D

Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated, unconstructive ones won't appreciated that much, but hey! If it floats your boat

Hey, Cassie,

not from the banking industry but I really admire your great attitude with dealing with some unhelpful (and quite rude) posters here.

good luck with the job hunt! with your personality I'm sure you will go far.

and no i'm not a guy who's trying to get your number. i'm a girl too!

Cassie 29-07-2015 02:28 PM

Thank you guys(and one girl) so much, there is really more polite people here than rude ones. Some even pm-ed me encouragement, such sweethearts haha! I really appreciate it.

Unregistered 29-07-2015 02:31 PM

I would agree to the person posting above me. I don't understand why some people get really rude when someone says 'I hope to get into an industry, any job will do'. We have to admit that it is THE way to gain entry and the relevant experiences necessary. It is not wrong for someone to have interest in any particular industry, so why is it wrong for someone to have interest to take up any position of that industry? Not many people in this world has the luxury to say 'oh I like this field and I am going to stick to it'. And this is something a lot of people should recognise.

Even if you don't have much to share to help the TS or the thread, it is rude and unnecessary to say/type things that has no value at all.

Unregistered 29-07-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie (Post 70722)
Thank you guys(and one girl) so much, there is really more polite people here than rude ones. Some even pm-ed me encouragement, such sweethearts haha! I really appreciate it.

You are looking for a job, not calling a counselling center. If you want sweethearts go to EDMW, guarantee you lots of otakus will pm you with sweet talks of encouragement.

Unregistered 29-07-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70723)
I would agree to the person posting above me. I don't understand why some people get really rude when someone says 'I hope to get into an industry, any job will do'. We have to admit that it is THE way to gain entry and the relevant experiences necessary. It is not wrong for someone to have interest in any particular industry, so why is it wrong for someone to have interest to take up any position of that industry? Not many people in this world has the luxury to say 'oh I like this field and I am going to stick to it'. And this is something a lot of people should recognise.

Even if you don't have much to share to help the TS or the thread, it is rude and unnecessary to say/type things that has no value at all.

It is not wrong to have an interest in an industry, but I must say it does get pretty tiring to hear fresh grads say they are interested in banking but do not even seem to demonstrate any effort made to understand or network within their so called interest.

As for asking others to shut up and not type things of no value, I wouldn't go down that route. Technically speaking your post while not rude is also devoid of substance other than saying it is ok to have interest. It's not like you really have any insights in helping TS to get the banking AML job.

Unregistered 29-07-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70724)
You are looking for a job, not calling a counselling center. If you want sweethearts go to EDMW, guarantee you lots of otakus will pm you with sweet talks of encouragement.

Do you have hypertension? I'm pretty sure you do, go check with your doctor.

And ask him to get that stick out of your ass too while he's at it.

Unregistered 29-07-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70713)
she already say as long as the job is in a bank doesn't matter. aml is just a random term that gets thrown up becauz its in a bank.

many bank jobs available out there. hard to believe she cant get a job. truth is, she IS picky about the bank job she wants, and she isnt accepting ANY bank job.

else, you mean she can't even qualify for a job like this?
://jobs.jobstreet.com/sg/jobs/4746815?fr=23&src=44

Unregistered 29-07-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70734)
Do you have hypertension? I'm pretty sure you do, go check with your doctor.

And ask him to get that stick out of your ass too while he's at it.

if you don't have much to share to help the TS or the thread, it is rude and unnecessary to say/type things that has no value at all.

Unregistered 29-07-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie (Post 70722)

this is creepy....

Unregistered 29-07-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 70735)
many bank jobs available out there. hard to believe she cant get a job. truth is, she IS picky about the bank job she wants, and she isnt accepting ANY bank job.

else, you mean she can't even qualify for a job like this?
://jobs.jobstreet.com/sg/jobs/4746815?fr=23&src=44

get lost and go see ur imh psychatrist plz. knn she want to be banker u recommend call center job.