Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice / Opinions needed

Old 13-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2s3c View Post
I think we're done here.

I'll be sure to take your myopic view seriously.
I did not make any of the above comment, but I think if you are ready to post your question here, it is certainly that you will get kinds of reply. (be it good or bad)

Of course not all reply might be true (ppl might just want to bash you down or something, after all this is the internet, what can you do about it since you want to make this as a platform for discussion)

However, there are people here giving you real information (although might sound harsh, but since you already started working, you should know that the real world is a very harsh place to live in).

From my brief review, certainly, it will be quite hard to go into MA. The reason is because (as mention above) there are many people local and foreign grads are eyeing on MA position, not just in finance industry but other industry as well. The reason is because the prospect is there.

You already mention that you are not sure whether you can break past the HR resume stage. (I believe you are already aware of the competition that you are facing)

I think you can discuss with your manager about your progression after you got your degree. But I not sure how your organization works when it comes to upgrading or review your career progression.

Certainly not say you do not have chance, but why not broaden your mind, accept the position or possible progression that you might have after discuss with your manager. Dont only look at MA as the only career progression there are other ways as well.

Old 13-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did not make any of the above comment, but I think if you are ready to post your question here, it is certainly that you will get kinds of reply. (be it good or bad)

Of course not all reply might be true (ppl might just want to bash you down or something, after all this is the internet, what can you do about it since you want to make this as a platform for discussion)

However, there are people here giving you real information (although might sound harsh, but since you already started working, you should know that the real world is a very harsh place to live in).

From my brief review, certainly, it will be quite hard to go into MA. The reason is because (as mention above) there are many people local and foreign grads are eyeing on MA position, not just in finance industry but other industry as well. The reason is because the prospect is there.

You already mention that you are not sure whether you can break past the HR resume stage. (I believe you are already aware of the competition that you are facing)

I think you can discuss with your manager about your progression after you got your degree. But I not sure how your organization works when it comes to upgrading or review your career progression.

Certainly not say you do not have chance, but why not broaden your mind, accept the position or possible progression that you might have after discuss with your manager. Dont only look at MA as the only career progression there are other ways as well.
I think you meant well, but let's face it - guys like the TS are everywhere, they are now in denial mode and will not listen to anything that does not conform to their fairy tale misconception. He's already spent time & money to get that part time cert, strong effort bias also.

It is much better to tell him the hard truth than waste time sugar coating the whole thing. For e.g. telling him that it is "quite hard" to get into MAP is just going to feed him notions that somehow he is the splendor exceptional who's going to make it. As far as I'm aware in DBS (where I was from), no part time private degree grad has ever made it into MAP throughout history. And DBS & OCBC is kind of near bottom in terms of criteria in the banking MAP world.

Old 13-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Incidentally, I had applied for numerous application with many FI for a few months. Of course, the reply was little to none.
That is the answer the market already gave you. Isn't that obvious enough?

Old 13-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all
Would like to seek some insight from you experience personnel out there.

Im currently working in one of the Financial Institution in Singapore. Drawing only a mere $2.5-$3k. This pay was given using my Diploma.

Simultaneously, I am taking my part time degree with 2nd upper honors expected at SIM, UOM. Given the vast majority of people getting 3-4k salary, i'm wondering how should I eventually move into that category upon my graduation.(which I will be in a few weeks time)

Am I quantify to qualify for those MA program in the bank? What I heard was those program are for the ivy league players. Not exactly sure I can break in or even get past the HR resume stage.

Incidentally, I had applied for numerous application with many FI for a few months. Of course, the reply was little to none.

I'm kinda pretty much lost about my whereabouts and in term of career progression, I sort of seems like going no where.

Any sound advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and regards
hi what you are getting now @ 2.5-3k is on par with most grads from sim. unless ur current exp is very solid & relevant to ur new job, u should lower ur salary expectation. not easy for a sim grad who just got his deg to demand 3k+ as a start.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

I have never heard of an SIM kid who got into a reputable MA program.

They are not reserved for Ivy leaguers, just for those who meet their cut, and SIM isn't really a degree-- don't believe what the Uni tells you, you're just paying for your cert.
Old 13-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Unregistered

you all are just typical losers who are jealous of ts & trying to say negative things to put him down. lots of sim grads succeed in the end and end up scholars and ivy leagues become their subordinates. to ts i say dont give up and ignore all this people who are just trying to be as$hole because they want to eliminate competition.

Old 13-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Hahahahahha, another delusional sim clown or someone just trolling.

Either way, hahahahah..
Old 13-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

some of the people here are so backward, even gov is recognizing sim as a proper deg now. pte sector dont even care what is the diff from sim and nus as long as you are good. i dont understand why people here always bash sim grads, what is wrong with a sim grad asking for 4k starting pay or joining map if he has good results. what happen to meritocracy? just because someone come from local uni is auto better than sim?
Old 13-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you all are just typical losers who are jealous of ts & trying to say negative things to put him down. lots of sim grads succeed in the end and end up scholars and ivy leagues become their subordinates. to ts i say dont give up and ignore all this people who are just trying to be as$hole because they want to eliminate competition.
I have made a comment before about the possibility of bashing and etc in this platform and since TS has decide to discuss his/here problem here.

For me, I dont really care because we are in different industry and I am not interested in finance field. Yes is true that a lot of sim grad succeed and I personally dont discriminate sim, nus, sit and etc, to me all are the same.

However, competition is really tough and no one say 100% TS cant get in, but they just say nearly impossible. Of course, never try never know. But TS has tried and he/she already knew the outcome already, since TS already said it him/herself that his resume might not even go through HR.

TS already answer his/her question, so the problem is what's next? I am also an average working adult, with no wonderful results and etc, but it is important to plan well, especially coming out with alternative route in order to reach TS goal.

MA certainly is one of the route to maybe becoming a director or something, but there are many other ways to get there as well. Depending if TS has the hunger to reach the goal. If TS is really passionate about reaching his/her goal, TS should have alternative plan rather than keep aiming for a single route again and again right until he/she missed all the other opportunities.

Also, TS main concern is his/her future progression after he/she got his/her degree. So I would suggest that TS talking to the manager to understand the possible opportunity for TS.

Also I dont think anyone belittle sim, but they just say that there would be people with ivy league degree competing with TS (maybe for some yes). but the main thing is to highlight to TS that seek for another path, dont die die bang on a single path, it will only bring u down
Old 13-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Why don't let the sim grads feel good about their degrees whichever is the awarding university. If they think their recognition is as good as lse just let it be. My point is if they want opinion about their chances of getting into ma or grad employment program, just encourage them to keep trying since there are others who do not like realistic feedback no matter how truthful it is!