Advice / Opinions needed - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice / Opinions needed

Old 24-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Unregistered

Cool

amazing forum "discussion" here. Everyone reach their own conclusion of TS and then moving onwards to all typical youngster.

Encouraging message to TS leads to another SIM clown. Now I guess I am another SIM clown who never study at SIM but earn the SIM degree, thanks guys!

Old 25-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Dude333 is on a distinguished road

I'm a fresh grad from local uni currently getting an offer from MNC as assistant manager. They offer me 3,5k (nego). I can probably get 3,8k - 4k at most. The salary is okay for me, but I am not sure if this is the job that I really want to do. I actually prefer to get into IT industries, but I'm not majoring in computing.

I got some offers from SMEs but the salary is not that high (3k at most). I'm still confused which offer should I choose right now.

Old 25-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

First question in MAP phone interview (in the 1% chance you already got a call):

"why do you choose to apply to this program?"

Your answer:

"get a feel and understanding what one might need in terms of career placement. Like many, how many of us actually know what we want and what we like?

Immediate failure.

That is exactly the problem. That is what an internship is. Not an MAP program.

You have already missed the boat by years. Other people have done multiple internships, know what they want already, and taken the appropriate modules that help them gain an edge.

Your only hope is that you are already working in a financial institution. Go and talk to people in different departments. Ask for an internal transfer. You are supposedly the guy who can sell himself. Figure out what you really want right now.

If you are already in the final year, you should have already applied to those MAP programs. Not wait until you graduate, where upon you missed the boat, twice.

Get your CFA level 1 or ACCA.

There are so many things you have to do and you haven done.

Hence the conclusion that you simply have no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2s3c View Post
Thank you everyone for your earnest reply.

I believed the conversation had run its due course.

Likewise, I believed people misunderstood me for going / aiming just mainly on MAP course. With that respect, I am one who feels that a MAP program would give potential candidate a feel and understanding what one might need in terms of career placement. Like many, how many of us actually know what we want and what we like?

Maybe, a little brief history on myself before you passed judgment. I do not have the luxury of many, sliverspoon rich parents and the likes. Used to be a delinquent(unfortunately, and not very proud of). I work my ass off during my poly days to finance my own school fee. Of course, my grades couldn't enable me to get myself into the local Uni. Starting schooling during my army days and got a job right after I ord.

I figure that taking a FT and PT SIM degree doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, I would rather learn the ropes while financing my own school fee rather than attending a FT course and enjoy life. There is the cost opportunities which I would like to bridge.

In terms of core competencies, I reckon that I'm not that much different from the local grad. For the records from past experience, I have never failed to secure a job if I've gotten the interview. The difficult part for me is seeking for that interview. I guess pretty much is down to the fact that I'm outspoken, I can sell myself(with proper testimonial etc) and how I carried myself.

The fact remains that on paper, my resume does not help me in much ways to my academic background.

Back to the main point. Yes, its true SIM are inferior compared to local Uni. But you have to agree to some extent that the world are changing. My thread conversation is asking for advice / opinions. But some came charging with a guerilla warfare attitude on how useless SIM is. If you don't call that myopic then what should you call it?

Anyway, I seen either end of the spectrum with regards to local Uni or SIM grads pay. To each its own. What I don't get is, simply, given my current situation, what kind of advice could you guys give? Not start a debate on local UNI and SIM.

Think about it for a second. Have you really answered the question? Or did you fulfilled your own ego at the expense of others?

Old 25-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2s3c View Post
Thank you everyone for your earnest reply.

I believed the conversation had run its due course.

Likewise, I believed people misunderstood me for going / aiming just mainly on MAP course. With that respect, I am one who feels that a MAP program would give potential candidate a feel and understanding what one might need in terms of career placement. Like many, how many of us actually know what we want and what we like?

Maybe, a little brief history on myself before you passed judgment. I do not have the luxury of many, sliverspoon rich parents and the likes. Used to be a delinquent(unfortunately, and not very proud of). I work my ass off during my poly days to finance my own school fee. Of course, my grades couldn't enable me to get myself into the local Uni. Starting schooling during my army days and got a job right after I ord.

I figure that taking a FT and PT SIM degree doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, I would rather learn the ropes while financing my own school fee rather than attending a FT course and enjoy life. There is the cost opportunities which I would like to bridge.

In terms of core competencies, I reckon that I'm not that much different from the local grad. For the records from past experience, I have never failed to secure a job if I've gotten the interview. The difficult part for me is seeking for that interview. I guess pretty much is down to the fact that I'm outspoken, I can sell myself(with proper testimonial etc) and how I carried myself.

The fact remains that on paper, my resume does not help me in much ways to my academic background.

Back to the main point. Yes, its true SIM are inferior compared to local Uni. But you have to agree to some extent that the world are changing. My thread conversation is asking for advice / opinions. But some came charging with a guerilla warfare attitude on how useless SIM is. If you don't call that myopic then what should you call it?

Anyway, I seen either end of the spectrum with regards to local Uni or SIM grads pay. To each its own. What I don't get is, simply, given my current situation, what kind of advice could you guys give? Not start a debate on local UNI and SIM.

Think about it for a second. Have you really answered the question? Or did you fulfilled your own ego at the expense of others?
There is only one true market reality out there, going on and on about your personal opinion on how the market should be, telling us your personal life story and family history leading to your taking a pt degree is frankly pointless.

End of the day, you don't get the job. That is all there is to it. You seem to think that by going on & on in online discussions somehow someone out there will be able to give you "advice" to defy market reality. Not going to happen, most of us don't know and the 0.1% one who know isn't going to share trade secrets with some anonymous online dude he/she cannot even put a face to.

Wake up bro!