Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   fresh grad seeking a career,but no luck (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5484-fresh-grad-seeking-career-but-no-luck.html)

psikyo 01-07-2015 06:06 PM

fresh grad seeking a career,but no luck

Hi,everyone. Hope to seek some advice. I'm a 27Yy/o fresh grad from nanyang polytechnic(came from a long way). Having a Diploma in Nanotechnology & Material Science. Though I've graduated just last month, I have started searching for a job well before my graduation. So it's been months with no luck getting a job. Continue to study is out of the question as i don't have the financial to do so.

Till now, I have went for a handful of interviews and no luck at all. Me and my gf actually went through a lot on what kind of jobs i try into. I thought of
-Going into QC area,but no answer.
-Going for lab role related to my diploma,also no answer.
-Getting a fresh/entry level job,at the same time, go for a part-time degree studies.
-Lastly signing on as military expert,since i still have passion about the army.

So am I being too broad in my search for a career? I'm kinda at lost now..pls advice? will appreciate any help good or bad. Thank you very much

Unregistered 01-07-2015 06:17 PM

Some points to consider:
What're you passionate in?
Take up some part time jobs / internships in areas that you're keen in?
Keep applying - for entry level positions like administration / finance / the likes.

psikyo 01-07-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69262)
Some points to consider:
What're you passionate in?
Take up some part time jobs / internships in areas that you're keen in?
Keep applying - for entry level positions like administration / finance / the likes.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Not really having passionate in any. Just that wanna get a diploma related job.

Unregistered 01-07-2015 09:25 PM

May I ask why you only have a diploma at such a relatively late stage?

what're the total number of positions you've applied to so far? I think your main aim should be to get a diploma related job like what you've mentioned. Don't be too overly concerned it it's a broad area or not. Just take a job that comes along. And learn as much as possible.

Unregistered 01-07-2015 09:47 PM

try getting in touch with a recruiter.

psikyo 01-07-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69267)
May I ask why you only have a diploma at such a relatively late stage?

what're the total number of positions you've applied to so far? I think your main aim should be to get a diploma related job like what you've mentioned. Don't be too overly concerned it it's a broad area or not. Just take a job that comes along. And learn as much as possible.

I came from an ITE background for 4 years, went to army for 2. And started diploma in 2013. Okay, thank you for your advice. Ya, I'm now looking for diploma related job. So far, no answer yet. sigh...

Unregistered 01-07-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psikyo (Post 69273)
I came from an ITE background for 4 years, went to army for 2. And started diploma in 2013. Okay, thank you for your advice. Ya, I'm now looking for diploma related job. So far, no answer yet. sigh...

A field like yours requires mostly higher education to progress. A lot of degree holders in materials science end up in semicon production type jobs, which is almost sunset industry. You have consider if you really want to make a career where a dip might just not be enough. Given you have started so late, you need to be careful with your choices and not much time for experimentation.

Since you have serve ns and kind of comfortable being in the army, it would be a much better and easier career choice although I usually advise against people being regulars. That would have more stability and progression among all the options you have suggested.

Unregistered 02-07-2015 11:43 AM

Things sure don't look good for you, continue applying & see how. Last resort then go join SAF as ME, but the thing you have to be careful is with just a fresh diploma at most is only go in as ME1 which is actually very slow for someone at 27 yrs old.

This means your career will likely hantataki at ME2 or at most ME3. The job stability is there, but you must also accept that your career prospects will become very limited unless you are a top performer or someone high up willing to sponsor your career.

Unregistered 02-07-2015 07:27 PM

Don't waste any more time think you can do this yourself.
Go find help from your school career services centre.

Unregistered 02-07-2015 10:01 PM

Learnt a few things on IT like computer admin or basic programming. There is a lot of entry level IT job which does not requires IT background.

From there on, its up to you to upskill and moves up the ladder. You can consider part time degree later on.