Advice needed from everyone (Lonely single & Retirement) - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice needed from everyone (Lonely single & Retirement)

Old 29-06-2015, 10:24 PM

FineStone324 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed from everyone (Lonely single & Retirement)

Hi all, thanks for coming into this thread. I would like to seek from all of you some advice on my situation: I'm single (male, 32 yo), and there's a possibility that I will remain single for life. I would like to plan (and seek advice) on what I could do to lead a fulfilling/enjoyable single life.

I've thought about going to events, volunteering, etc. However, I'm not sure if I will be very receptive to that as I'm not an extrovert. One of the ideas that I've came up with is to play computer games when I'm old. While this may sound immature/weird, it really is one of the most viable option that I could think off at this point. My reasons/assumptions are as follows:

1) I like playing computer games. Specifically, RPG (e.g. WOW, Diablo, Ragnarok, etc.) appeals to me. It can be fun to make online friends too.
2) Online games are cheap as long as you don't splurge on them. This means that my living expenses can remain low. That is, I may be able to save and invest sufficiently, such that my passive income can cover my total living expenses (including utilities, daily expenses, etc.).

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same thought as me? Would it be possible that I could still like gaming as much, and play them all-day at 55 years old till my very last day? If it's unlikely to happen, why? Is it because I won't be as agile when I'm old? Or is it because I'll simply lose my interest for gaming when I'm old?

I will really appreciate all advice given. Thank you.

Old 29-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

Have you ever thought about the meaning of life? The creation of the universe.
Why were man created? Who is our One and Only Creator?
What will happen after we die? What will happen in the grave? The 3 questions in the grave.
The Day of Judgment. These are questions you should ask yourself before you leave this temporary life. Don't waste your life away.
Playing games all day is the worst thing you could do at old age. You'll be depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineStone324 View Post
Hi all, thanks for coming into this thread. I would like to seek from all of you some advice on my situation: I'm single (male, 32 yo), and there's a possibility that I will remain single for life. I would like to plan (and seek advice) on what I could do to lead a fulfilling/enjoyable single life.

I've thought about going to events, volunteering, etc. However, I'm not sure if I will be very receptive to that as I'm not an extrovert. One of the ideas that I've came up with is to play computer games when I'm old. While this may sound immature/weird, it really is one of the most viable option that I could think off at this point. My reasons/assumptions are as follows:

1) I like playing computer games. Specifically, RPG (e.g. WOW, Diablo, Ragnarok, etc.) appeals to me. It can be fun to make online friends too.
2) Online games are cheap as long as you don't splurge on them. This means that my living expenses can remain low. That is, I may be able to save and invest sufficiently, such that my passive income can cover my total living expenses (including utilities, daily expenses, etc.).

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same thought as me? Would it be possible that I could still like gaming as much, and play them all-day at 55 years old till my very last day? If it's unlikely to happen, why? Is it because I won't be as agile when I'm old? Or is it because I'll simply lose my interest for gaming when I'm old?

Old 30-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Verified Member

gate88 is on a distinguished road

I believe that if you are happy with playing games just do it, there is no such things as right or wrong way of living, after all this is your live, as long as you are happy, go ahead

Old 30-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Unregistered

Dont let others tell u how to live ur life.

A life is not wasted if u enjoyed it.
Old 30-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

spend $100 a wk on FLs - $400 a month.

spend $500 every 2-3 months on trips to Phuket/bkk to enjoy the clubs and girls.

at least I bother to provide you with some real advice.
Old 30-06-2015, 10:12 AM

FineStone324 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of your replies.

To the person who said about "the meaning of life, etc..", I understand where you're coming from. Your answer on what I should do would probably be: Voluntary work, Contribute to the society, etc.

However, as I've mentioned in my initial post, I'm not a very sociable person. While doing voluntary work could add meaning to my life, I'm not sure if I'll have the energy to do it when I'm old. It can be really draining to me, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it for the long term.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 02-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

Get yourself a good Vietnamese wife, and/or a good blow up doll before you rape someone.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

by the time you are old, most likely we will have VR full sensory gaming like Sword Art Online, look foward to it!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

you are not adding any value to society, not repaying to parents who brought you up, to the civil servants who make sure you are playing your games in a safe environment. sure, you can f the world and be in your own till death, but on your deathbed you might ponder: have my 55 years been lived in vain?

even games QA, games developer and designers are gaming-related jobs that brings enjoyment to everyone.

i game a lot, and gaming requires mental energy even if you don't know it. there are already cases of death in taiwan and japan from overgaming.

i hate going to events with many people, but i participate in forum discussions to help out. some enthu ones organize meetups with freebies or group gaming, have chio girls to check out one.

maybe at 32 is still too young to understand, but just don't live in regret later.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:31 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

I'm quite sure most people around your age that are single do think like you.
The social media in your generation has changed people - people "interactions" . The virtual /social media world is the "real" world for most in your generation.

Gaming as you described,seem to be just a way for you to get connected and relax and have fun. There is nothing wrong to it but you lose "learning" how to connect with people without that PC/tablet/social media that can be equally fruitful.

For eg, how do you share a "wink" in real life ? how do you poke a friend when you are bored ?

On your questions of the future , you obviously can have the financial means to do gaming for the rest of your life. But in doing so, you exchange this for something else.

You may not sense it now , but in 5-10 years, many of your friends will be married and sharing about those experiences on their fb, twitter ,etc.
they will also drop out from hanging out etc. the "sensing" you have now that you may be "missing" out something will be stronger then.

Only you then can answer if you still think this way when that happens.
and most importantly, will you regret the decisions you make now ?

Quote: