Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM RMIT cant find job

Old 14-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While we are on this topic, some of my junior friends on my facebook just changed their activity to "Now working as Banking Analyst at XYZ ", fishing for positive feedback hahaha...

I work in a bank MO but i do not even go around and broadcast to the world that I am working here or there (partly because of the sensitive nature of my role we are advised against of doing so).. Heck, I've even seen my ICT friends going around calling themselves bankers when they are just a RM at a neighborhood branch hahaha...

Well, i guess each to his own.
I see this a lot in FB as well. There is this JC friend of mine the most dramatic - not only announce to everyone she join Barclays via FB feed, even change the cover photo to her holding a coffee in front of a Barclays logo in the office.

So I kaypoh went linked in and see what is her job, appears to be some HR training coordinator. I mean it's lame enough to call yourself a "banker" in a neighbourhood branch, but training this kind of back office want to pose like a banker!?

Old 14-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I see this a lot in FB as well. There is this JC friend of mine the most dramatic - not only announce to everyone she join Barclays via FB feed, even change the cover photo to her holding a coffee in front of a Barclays logo in the office.

So I kaypoh went linked in and see what is her job, appears to be some HR training coordinator. I mean it's lame enough to call yourself a "banker" in a neighbourhood branch, but training this kind of back office want to pose like a banker!?
Hahaha. The jiao kia these days don't understand what it means to be a 'banker'. People don't go around calling themselves 'banker' unless they are running M&A or ECM/DCM at Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan and inking billion dollar deals. Please tell them not to siah suay themselves by anyhow using the term. Dun understand don't suka suka use...

Old 14-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hahaha. The jiao kia these days don't understand what it means to be a 'banker'. People don't go around calling themselves 'banker' unless they are running M&A or ECM/DCM at Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan and inking billion dollar deals. Please tell them not to siah suay themselves by anyhow using the term. Dun understand don't suka suka use...
Aiya, don't hurt their feelings. Technically, they are not wrong at calling themselves that but we know how it works within the banking sector.

Reminds me of an article from Strait times awhile ago, talking about the horrendous work life balance and how taxing it is on one's health for those in the FOs (M&A, equity sales, trading, etc). Few of my friends who are working as a neighbourhood branch RM in DBS started sharing the article, describing it as though the article is referring to them ....

I cringed when I saw their posts...Apparently to them, running weekend roadshows selling UTs / insurance is the same as the big boys preparing to pitch a multimillion deal.

I am too polite to highlight the differences to them on the article..

Old 14-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Aiya, don't hurt their feelings. Technically, they are not wrong at calling themselves that but we know how it works within the banking sector.

Reminds me of an article from Strait times awhile ago, talking about the horrendous work life balance and how taxing it is on one's health for those in the FOs (M&A, equity sales, trading, etc). Few of my friends who are working as a neighbourhood branch RM in DBS started sharing the article, describing it as though the article is referring to them ....

I cringed when I saw their posts...Apparently to them, running weekend roadshows selling UTs / insurance is the same as the big boys preparing to pitch a multimillion deal.

It is usually the ones who feel lowly and inferior who see the need to boost their ego this way. Let them be lah. Whatever makes them happy.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Hahaha. Your frens very the funny. Yeah, life as a 'banker' working weekends selling unit trust very cham. Kekekeke.

Mai anneh kuan lah. Tell them the truth so that they dun continue to lao kui.
Old 14-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

interesting post, I am too a SIM grad, got into a bank in offshore foreign bank on contract job, assisting trading desk filling orders and updating spreadsheet, filling in for a lady on maternity leave. Converted into a permanent job after the lady decided to become full-time housewife.
After 2 years, I become trader assistant, started quoting FX swaps/spot and pricing FX options for sales desk. Now I am a full fledged FX options trader managing the G10 flow business. Guess I am lucky at the right place and at the right time.. No CFA, no NUS/NTU/SMU degree, no RI/RJC/ACS old boys network, just pure grit and hard work!

Quote:
I m sim grad, graduated without honours in 2009. At that time, compliance is the least glamorous job in the bank, only slightly better than janitor, that why I can get into compliance. Things got out of hand in 2012-2014 with mega billion fines from regulators. Thanks to the regulators, now, compliance is elevated to super-star status in the bank, and now, as VP of a compliance function, I get resumes from oxbridge graduates rushing to apply for 4k analysts jobs.
My advice to the sim grad, dont bother applying for compliance jobs, as u are up for serious competition. just find the least glamorous jobs and slowly rise up when the fengshui changes. dont say i never tell you hor

Old 14-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Unregistered

this kind of childish showoff antics only work for the noobies. i'm surprise in this day & age where info is share all over the internet there are still ppl who try to pose like some top banker or snr exec using a vp name card.

do it offline to a small circle of friends & relatives maybe the dumb ones get impress & the smart ones keep quiet out of politness. but showing off on social media for everyone to see just inviting ridicule.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
this kind of childish showoff antics only work for the noobies. i'm surprise in this day & age where info is share all over the internet there are still ppl who try to pose like some top banker or snr exec using a vp name card.

do it offline to a small circle of friends & relatives maybe the dumb ones get impress & the smart ones keep quiet out of politness. but showing off on social media for everyone to see just inviting ridicule.
More to do with deluded than lying ie. this type really believe they are the chosen one.
Old 14-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
interesting post, I am too a SIM grad, got into a bank in offshore foreign bank on contract job, assisting trading desk filling orders and updating spreadsheet, filling in for a lady on maternity leave. Converted into a permanent job after the lady decided to become full-time housewife.
After 2 years, I become trader assistant, started quoting FX swaps/spot and pricing FX options for sales desk. Now I am a full fledged FX options trader managing the G10 flow business. Guess I am lucky at the right place and at the right time.. No CFA, no NUS/NTU/SMU degree, no RI/RJC/ACS old boys network, just pure grit and hard work!
Good job! It shows that qualifications and connections do not always determine success. Like you said, pure grit and hard work, together with a little bit of luck will get you further in life than anything else. Actually, this route is how most of the old school FO traders got to where they are. You are just following the old way without knowing it.
Old 15-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Your JC friend may find a rich husband from barcap and retired as tai-tai and live happily ever after? Life is full of possibilities

Quote: