SIM RMIT cant find job - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




SIM RMIT cant find job

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While we are on this topic, some of my junior friends on my facebook just changed their activity to "Now working as Banking Analyst at XYZ ", fishing for positive feedback hahaha...

I work in a bank MO but i do not even go around and broadcast to the world that I am working here or there (partly because of the sensitive nature of my role we are advised against of doing so).. Heck, I've even seen my ICT friends going around calling themselves bankers when they are just a RM at a neighborhood branch hahaha...

Well, i guess each to his own.
I see this a lot in FB as well. There is this JC friend of mine the most dramatic - not only announce to everyone she join Barclays via FB feed, even change the cover photo to her holding a coffee in front of a Barclays logo in the office.

So I kaypoh went linked in and see what is her job, appears to be some HR training coordinator. I mean it's lame enough to call yourself a "banker" in a neighbourhood branch, but training this kind of back office want to pose like a banker!?

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see this a lot in FB as well. There is this JC friend of mine the most dramatic - not only announce to everyone she join Barclays via FB feed, even change the cover photo to her holding a coffee in front of a Barclays logo in the office.

So I kaypoh went linked in and see what is her job, appears to be some HR training coordinator. I mean it's lame enough to call yourself a "banker" in a neighbourhood branch, but training this kind of back office want to pose like a banker!?
Hahaha. The jiao kia these days don't understand what it means to be a 'banker'. People don't go around calling themselves 'banker' unless they are running M&A or ECM/DCM at Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan and inking billion dollar deals. Please tell them not to siah suay themselves by anyhow using the term. Dun understand don't suka suka use...

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hahaha. The jiao kia these days don't understand what it means to be a 'banker'. People don't go around calling themselves 'banker' unless they are running M&A or ECM/DCM at Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan and inking billion dollar deals. Please tell them not to siah suay themselves by anyhow using the term. Dun understand don't suka suka use...
Aiya, don't hurt their feelings. Technically, they are not wrong at calling themselves that but we know how it works within the banking sector.

Reminds me of an article from Strait times awhile ago, talking about the horrendous work life balance and how taxing it is on one's health for those in the FOs (M&A, equity sales, trading, etc). Few of my friends who are working as a neighbourhood branch RM in DBS started sharing the article, describing it as though the article is referring to them ....

I cringed when I saw their posts...Apparently to them, running weekend roadshows selling UTs / insurance is the same as the big boys preparing to pitch a multimillion deal.

I am too polite to highlight the differences to them on the article..

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Aiya, don't hurt their feelings. Technically, they are not wrong at calling themselves that but we know how it works within the banking sector.

Reminds me of an article from Strait times awhile ago, talking about the horrendous work life balance and how taxing it is on one's health for those in the FOs (M&A, equity sales, trading, etc). Few of my friends who are working as a neighbourhood branch RM in DBS started sharing the article, describing it as though the article is referring to them ....

I cringed when I saw their posts...Apparently to them, running weekend roadshows selling UTs / insurance is the same as the big boys preparing to pitch a multimillion deal.

I am too polite to highlight the differences to them on the article..
It is usually the ones who feel lowly and inferior who see the need to boost their ego this way. Let them be lah. Whatever makes them happy.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Aiya, don't hurt their feelings. Technically, they are not wrong at calling themselves that but we know how it works within the banking sector.

Reminds me of an article from Strait times awhile ago, talking about the horrendous work life balance and how taxing it is on one's health for those in the FOs (M&A, equity sales, trading, etc). Few of my friends who are working as a neighbourhood branch RM in DBS started sharing the article, describing it as though the article is referring to them ....

I cringed when I saw their posts...Apparently to them, running weekend roadshows selling UTs / insurance is the same as the big boys preparing to pitch a multimillion deal.

I am too polite to highlight the differences to them on the article..
Hahaha. Your frens very the funny. Yeah, life as a 'banker' working weekends selling unit trust very cham. Kekekeke.

Mai anneh kuan lah. Tell them the truth so that they dun continue to lao kui.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

interesting post, I am too a SIM grad, got into a bank in offshore foreign bank on contract job, assisting trading desk filling orders and updating spreadsheet, filling in for a lady on maternity leave. Converted into a permanent job after the lady decided to become full-time housewife.
After 2 years, I become trader assistant, started quoting FX swaps/spot and pricing FX options for sales desk. Now I am a full fledged FX options trader managing the G10 flow business. Guess I am lucky at the right place and at the right time.. No CFA, no NUS/NTU/SMU degree, no RI/RJC/ACS old boys network, just pure grit and hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I m sim grad, graduated without honours in 2009. At that time, compliance is the least glamorous job in the bank, only slightly better than janitor, that why I can get into compliance. Things got out of hand in 2012-2014 with mega billion fines from regulators. Thanks to the regulators, now, compliance is elevated to super-star status in the bank, and now, as VP of a compliance function, I get resumes from oxbridge graduates rushing to apply for 4k analysts jobs.
My advice to the sim grad, dont bother applying for compliance jobs, as u are up for serious competition. just find the least glamorous jobs and slowly rise up when the fengshui changes. dont say i never tell you hor
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

this kind of childish showoff antics only work for the noobies. i'm surprise in this day & age where info is share all over the internet there are still ppl who try to pose like some top banker or snr exec using a vp name card.

do it offline to a small circle of friends & relatives maybe the dumb ones get impress & the smart ones keep quiet out of politness. but showing off on social media for everyone to see just inviting ridicule.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
this kind of childish showoff antics only work for the noobies. i'm surprise in this day & age where info is share all over the internet there are still ppl who try to pose like some top banker or snr exec using a vp name card.

do it offline to a small circle of friends & relatives maybe the dumb ones get impress & the smart ones keep quiet out of politness. but showing off on social media for everyone to see just inviting ridicule.
More to do with deluded than lying ie. this type really believe they are the chosen one.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
interesting post, I am too a SIM grad, got into a bank in offshore foreign bank on contract job, assisting trading desk filling orders and updating spreadsheet, filling in for a lady on maternity leave. Converted into a permanent job after the lady decided to become full-time housewife.
After 2 years, I become trader assistant, started quoting FX swaps/spot and pricing FX options for sales desk. Now I am a full fledged FX options trader managing the G10 flow business. Guess I am lucky at the right place and at the right time.. No CFA, no NUS/NTU/SMU degree, no RI/RJC/ACS old boys network, just pure grit and hard work!
Good job! It shows that qualifications and connections do not always determine success. Like you said, pure grit and hard work, together with a little bit of luck will get you further in life than anything else. Actually, this route is how most of the old school FO traders got to where they are. You are just following the old way without knowing it.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 15-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Your JC friend may find a rich husband from barcap and retired as tai-tai and live happily ever after? Life is full of possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see this a lot in FB as well. There is this JC friend of mine the most dramatic - not only announce to everyone she join Barclays via FB feed, even change the cover photo to her holding a coffee in front of a Barclays logo in the office.

So I kaypoh went linked in and see what is her job, appears to be some HR training coordinator. I mean it's lame enough to call yourself a "banker" in a neighbourhood branch, but training this kind of back office want to pose like a banker!?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will it be difficult for me to find another job without a PR? Devjyoti Income and Jobs 17 17-05-2015 08:33 PM
Job Portal available ~ FindSGJobs.com - Find Out more ~ wallaby_t Marketplace and Find Work 0 12-04-2015 09:23 PM
Tough To Find A Job That Pays Well rabbit10 Income and Jobs 9 19-08-2013 08:32 PM
Find the right wok in Dubai WheelerHJose Income and Jobs 0 19-06-2013 05:38 PM
Find a job.. takoda Income and Jobs 0 25-08-2009 01:24 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
639 Replies, 322,637 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,978 Replies, 2,098,928 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,085 Replies, 2,247,884 Views
Rio tinto ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 55,087 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,268 Replies, 742,147 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,695 Replies, 4,862,867 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,028 Replies, 425,657 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
707 Replies, 524,427 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,753 Replies, 1,357,879 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,260 Replies, 12,300,795 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 17,180 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
109 Replies, 73,462 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,760 Replies, 1,014,117 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,259 Replies, 6,394,959 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,649 Replies, 1,496,317 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,397 Replies, 1,343,744 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,203 Replies, 3,331,796 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
314 Replies, 309,952 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
702 Replies, 387,487 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
460 Replies, 258,388 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,263 Replies, 700,092 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,297 Replies, 985,758 Views
Visa Internship
3 Replies, 4,313 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 712,247 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 485,115 Views
Company deduct air ticket from...
0 Replies, 200 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 156,710 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,885 Replies, 10,198,242 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,756 Replies, 1,475,947 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 446,178 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2