DBS Management Associate Program - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




DBS Management Associate Program

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5
williamau is on a distinguished road
Default DBS Management Associate Program

Hi guys!
I'm going to graduate in Spring 2016. Just now I know that MA in OCBC will go to KL for a week. Anyone know the DBS & UOB?
I heard from my friend in Hong Kong, he said DBS MA in Hong Kong will come to Singapore for training and workshop for a few weeks. Wonder if anyone knows DBS MAP in Singapore will go to somewhere else. If so, where will the MA go? What would be the duration of the trip?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamau View Post
Hi guys!
I'm going to graduate in Spring 2016. Just now I know that MA in OCBC will go to KL for a week. Anyone know the DBS & UOB?
I heard from my friend in Hong Kong, he said DBS MA in Hong Kong will come to Singapore for training and workshop for a few weeks. Wonder if anyone knows DBS MAP in Singapore will go to somewhere else. If so, where will the MA go? What would be the duration of the trip?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
actually for OCBC, it is the young bankers programme people that go to KL. not sure about their MAs though (MAP in OCBC is meant for the post-grads or those with working experience)

as for DBS, it is indeed true that MAs from HK and various other territories will come to Singapore for a few weeks of training. the Singapore MAs will, hence, be training tgt with the overseas MAs in singapore. there is, however, no plan or arrangement for Singapore MAs to go overseas for any form of training. Singapore is afterall the HQ of the bank so it doesnt really make sense for the Singapore MAs to fly to any other place to receive training.

hope that helps

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5
williamau is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
actually for OCBC, it is the young bankers programme people that go to KL. not sure about their MAs though (MAP in OCBC is meant for the post-grads or those with working experience)

as for DBS, it is indeed true that MAs from HK and various other territories will come to Singapore for a few weeks of training. the Singapore MAs will, hence, be training tgt with the overseas MAs in singapore. there is, however, no plan or arrangement for Singapore MAs to go overseas for any form of training. Singapore is afterall the HQ of the bank so it doesnt really make sense for the Singapore MAs to fly to any other place to receive training.

hope that helps

That means no overseas experience for DBS MA? I think going out of the home country is really important. Even DBS HQ is in SG, the system in other countries would be very different! It would be good to experience other working culture as well as establishing network with other potential colleagues overseas

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamau View Post
That means no overseas experience for DBS MA? I think going out of the home country is really important. Even DBS HQ is in SG, the system in other countries would be very different! It would be good to experience other working culture as well as establishing network with other potential colleagues overseas
if i didnt read it wrongly, your first comment was focused on whether there would be an initial overseas training programme for the MAs of different banks, and not whether there would be any overseas experience in general for the MAs. i think there's quite a subtle difference between the two.

because going by the latter, there're practically no banks that make it mandatory for their MAs (or Young bankers) to have overseas experience, other than the initial training programme. for example, other than the very short one week in KL, OCBC's young bankers are domiciled in Singapore, and Singapore only.

in general, unless there is a departmental requirement or you displayed exceptional performance that the senior management earmarks you even among your fellow MAs, i dont think there will be any mandated form of overseas posting in any of the banks
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamau View Post
That means no overseas experience for DBS MA? I think going out of the home country is really important. Even DBS HQ is in SG, the system in other countries would be very different! It would be good to experience other working culture as well as establishing network with other potential colleagues overseas
Bro, you join a local bank in your home country but you want to go overseas? Does that even make sense to you? Obviously DBS has most of its operations here in SG which is its home base and hence everyone comes over here for training. There is also no problem with networking with overseas colleagues since they are coming here for you to meet during training. If you wanted to travel overseas, you should have joined a foreign bank like UBS which has a 1 month training in NYC.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bro, you join a local bank in your home country but you want to go overseas? Does that even make sense to you? Obviously DBS has most of its operations here in SG which is its home base and hence everyone comes over here for training. There is also no problem with networking with overseas colleagues since they are coming here for you to meet during training. If you wanted to travel overseas, you should have joined a foreign bank like UBS which has a 1 month training in NYC.
very nicely put across. and it is not just UBS. you can also try deutsche/barclays/deutsche/goldman. the former two put their fresh hires through a six week training programme in london while the latter two are at new york city. well, and you really get to meet a whole lot of overseas colleagues, from all corners of the world so i hope that sounds attractive for you, since that is what you're seeking.

alternatively, instead of applying to DBS SG for MA, you can just apply to the MAP in DBS HK or other territories. some singaporeans have done that and it worked just as well
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
very nicely put across. and it is not just UBS. you can also try deutsche/barclays/deutsche/goldman. the former two put their fresh hires through a six week training programme in london while the latter two are at new york city. well, and you really get to meet a whole lot of overseas colleagues, from all corners of the world so i hope that sounds attractive for you, since that is what you're seeking.

alternatively, instead of applying to DBS SG for MA, you can just apply to the MAP in DBS HK or other territories. some singaporeans have done that and it worked just as well
sorry, its deutsche/barclays/jpm/goldman
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

That is 1 main limitation of joining local co. & why the best talents always aim for foreign banks or mega mncs. Local co. dun have much outside sg.

If u look at DBS besides sg, only 2 countries with sizable presence is indo & hk. Even then they are run locally with a few snr mgrs sent there from sg. So if ur just finish school & want to get global or even asia exposure, best is go for global banks.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That is 1 main limitation of joining local co. & why the best talents always aim for foreign banks or mega mncs. Local co. dun have much outside sg.

If u look at DBS besides sg, only 2 countries with sizable presence is indo & hk. Even then they are run locally with a few snr mgrs sent there from sg. So if ur just finish school & want to get global or even asia exposure, best is go for global banks.
Global banks also means global competition. Can you handle the heat?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Global banks also means global competition. Can you handle the heat?
the bigger the company you work in, the smaller you are.

you are just 1 out of the 50,000++ global staff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UOB Management Associate Program fruitsandnuts Income and Jobs 355 Yesterday 05:23 PM
DBS Management Associate Program 2015 samtanjw Income and Jobs 1852 15-12-2020 05:31 PM
Insurance Management Associate Program (IMAP) Cron Income and Jobs 65 11-12-2020 04:55 PM
Management Associate Program hexengeist Income and Jobs 0 05-09-2013 01:40 PM
Dive Management Associate Program Rickykoh Marketplace and Find Work 0 20-01-2013 01:30 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
200 Replies, 41,670 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,563 Replies, 2,116,245 Views
Covid-related job opportunities...
4 Replies, 187 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,008 Replies, 3,342,428 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,956 Replies, 1,401,781 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 9,107 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 58,907 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 146,209 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,855 Replies, 1,240,261 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,694 Replies, 1,056,239 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,109 Replies, 867,105 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,306 Replies, 319,559 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
881 Replies, 603,192 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,890,733 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 241,762 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,161 Replies, 6,218,699 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
355 Replies, 205,094 Views
How long does uob get back to you...
8 Replies, 1,401 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,871 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 184,071 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,850 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 104,645 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 6,031 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
0 Replies, 73 Views
MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 16,174 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 27,467 Views
SEA Limited
6 Replies, 1,568 Views
Audit DGS
0 Replies, 80 Views
Starting new employment while...
6 Replies, 338 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2