Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DBS Management Associate Program (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5360-dbs-management-associate-program.html)

williamau 04-06-2015 03:56 PM

DBS Management Associate Program

Hi guys!
I'm going to graduate in Spring 2016. Just now I know that MA in OCBC will go to KL for a week. Anyone know the DBS & UOB?
I heard from my friend in Hong Kong, he said DBS MA in Hong Kong will come to Singapore for training and workshop for a few weeks. Wonder if anyone knows DBS MAP in Singapore will go to somewhere else. If so, where will the MA go? What would be the duration of the trip?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered 04-06-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamau (Post 67628)
Hi guys!
I'm going to graduate in Spring 2016. Just now I know that MA in OCBC will go to KL for a week. Anyone know the DBS & UOB?
I heard from my friend in Hong Kong, he said DBS MA in Hong Kong will come to Singapore for training and workshop for a few weeks. Wonder if anyone knows DBS MAP in Singapore will go to somewhere else. If so, where will the MA go? What would be the duration of the trip?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually for OCBC, it is the young bankers programme people that go to KL. not sure about their MAs though (MAP in OCBC is meant for the post-grads or those with working experience)

as for DBS, it is indeed true that MAs from HK and various other territories will come to Singapore for a few weeks of training. the Singapore MAs will, hence, be training tgt with the overseas MAs in singapore. there is, however, no plan or arrangement for Singapore MAs to go overseas for any form of training. Singapore is afterall the HQ of the bank so it doesnt really make sense for the Singapore MAs to fly to any other place to receive training.

hope that helps :)

williamau 05-06-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67651)
actually for OCBC, it is the young bankers programme people that go to KL. not sure about their MAs though (MAP in OCBC is meant for the post-grads or those with working experience)

as for DBS, it is indeed true that MAs from HK and various other territories will come to Singapore for a few weeks of training. the Singapore MAs will, hence, be training tgt with the overseas MAs in singapore. there is, however, no plan or arrangement for Singapore MAs to go overseas for any form of training. Singapore is afterall the HQ of the bank so it doesnt really make sense for the Singapore MAs to fly to any other place to receive training.

hope that helps :)

:eek::eek: That means no overseas experience for DBS MA? I think going out of the home country is really important. Even DBS HQ is in SG, the system in other countries would be very different! It would be good to experience other working culture as well as establishing network with other potential colleagues overseas :(

Unregistered 05-06-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamau (Post 67670)
:eek::eek: That means no overseas experience for DBS MA? I think going out of the home country is really important. Even DBS HQ is in SG, the system in other countries would be very different! It would be good to experience other working culture as well as establishing network with other potential colleagues overseas :(

if i didnt read it wrongly, your first comment was focused on whether there would be an initial overseas training programme for the MAs of different banks, and not whether there would be any overseas experience in general for the MAs. i think there's quite a subtle difference between the two.

because going by the latter, there're practically no banks that make it mandatory for their MAs (or Young bankers) to have overseas experience, other than the initial training programme. for example, other than the very short one week in KL, OCBC's young bankers are domiciled in Singapore, and Singapore only.

in general, unless there is a departmental requirement or you displayed exceptional performance that the senior management earmarks you even among your fellow MAs, i dont think there will be any mandated form of overseas posting in any of the banks

Unregistered 05-06-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamau (Post 67670)

Bro, you join a local bank in your home country but you want to go overseas? Does that even make sense to you? Obviously DBS has most of its operations here in SG which is its home base and hence everyone comes over here for training. There is also no problem with networking with overseas colleagues since they are coming here for you to meet during training. If you wanted to travel overseas, you should have joined a foreign bank like UBS which has a 1 month training in NYC.

Unregistered 05-06-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67684)
Bro, you join a local bank in your home country but you want to go overseas? Does that even make sense to you? Obviously DBS has most of its operations here in SG which is its home base and hence everyone comes over here for training. There is also no problem with networking with overseas colleagues since they are coming here for you to meet during training. If you wanted to travel overseas, you should have joined a foreign bank like UBS which has a 1 month training in NYC.

very nicely put across. and it is not just UBS. you can also try deutsche/barclays/deutsche/goldman. the former two put their fresh hires through a six week training programme in london while the latter two are at new york city. well, and you really get to meet a whole lot of overseas colleagues, from all corners of the world so i hope that sounds attractive for you, since that is what you're seeking.

alternatively, instead of applying to DBS SG for MA, you can just apply to the MAP in DBS HK or other territories. some singaporeans have done that and it worked just as well

Unregistered 05-06-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67689)
very nicely put across. and it is not just UBS. you can also try deutsche/barclays/deutsche/goldman. the former two put their fresh hires through a six week training programme in london while the latter two are at new york city. well, and you really get to meet a whole lot of overseas colleagues, from all corners of the world so i hope that sounds attractive for you, since that is what you're seeking.

alternatively, instead of applying to DBS SG for MA, you can just apply to the MAP in DBS HK or other territories. some singaporeans have done that and it worked just as well

sorry, its deutsche/barclays/jpm/goldman

Unregistered 05-06-2015 04:25 PM

That is 1 main limitation of joining local co. & why the best talents always aim for foreign banks or mega mncs. Local co. dun have much outside sg.

If u look at DBS besides sg, only 2 countries with sizable presence is indo & hk. Even then they are run locally with a few snr mgrs sent there from sg. So if ur just finish school & want to get global or even asia exposure, best is go for global banks.

Unregistered 05-06-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67697)
That is 1 main limitation of joining local co. & why the best talents always aim for foreign banks or mega mncs. Local co. dun have much outside sg.

If u look at DBS besides sg, only 2 countries with sizable presence is indo & hk. Even then they are run locally with a few snr mgrs sent there from sg. So if ur just finish school & want to get global or even asia exposure, best is go for global banks.

Global banks also means global competition. Can you handle the heat?

Unregistered 06-06-2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67716)
Global banks also means global competition. Can you handle the heat?

the bigger the company you work in, the smaller you are.

you are just 1 out of the 50,000++ global staff.