Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   should I stay in this job? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5318-should-i-stay-job.html)

kairi9q 27-05-2015 11:36 AM

should I stay in this job?

I just graduated from SIM, and got back into the bank which i worked before.
I return to the Bank because I thought it can give me the most prospect as compare to others and also because I am living under someone's expectation whom i really really cherish.
I did not get into the department or storey which i previously worked at but instead I was assign to a new department that require a lot of report writing and reading which really isnt my forte because I am quite "lively" i suppose...
It has been only been at the 4th week and there is a negative feeling I couldnt express, although this job scope really enable me to liaise with all departments in the bank which really improve my overall knowledge but i am still very negative towards it.
I dont see myself performing or progressing.
Also this role was introduced to me by my previous manager and somehow i know the deputy GM, the colleagues were really nice to me as well so I do not want to disappoint them....
I am trying to suck thumb to at least complete a year but I couldnt stop feeling negative to it...

Unregistered 27-05-2015 12:42 PM

4 weeks only, what do you expect? great work great pay for a SIM graduate?

Be thankful you have a job, a learning opportunity. How you want to progress is entirely up to your own capabilities, not what you are assigned to.

For you to do big things in life later, you need to learn how to do the small things first.

Unregistered 27-05-2015 02:01 PM

suck thumb la, u wanted to join back the bank what. if u didnt like the new role then why u accept? u want the good prospects, gotta accept the work too. they hire u temp in ur old dept doesnt mean they want u as perm after u grad...

unregistered 27-05-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67238)
suck thumb la, u wanted to join back the bank what. if u didnt like the new role then why u accept? u want the good prospects, gotta accept the work too. they hire u temp in ur old dept doesnt mean they want u as perm after u grad...

because there isnt other role and as a fresh grad of course want to secure a job. anyway they hire me as a perm in other dept.

Unregistered 27-05-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 67240)
because there isnt other role and as a fresh grad of course want to secure a job. anyway they hire me as a perm in other dept.

You wanted to secure a job, right? You got what you wanted. Dun complain.

Unregistered 28-05-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kairi9q (Post 67229)
I just graduated from SIM, and got back into the bank which i worked before.
I return to the Bank because I thought it can give me the most prospect as compare to others and also because I am living under someone's expectation whom i really really cherish.
I did not get into the department or storey which i previously worked at but instead I was assign to a new department that require a lot of report writing and reading which really isnt my forte because I am quite "lively" i suppose...
It has been only been at the 4th week and there is a negative feeling I couldnt express, although this job scope really enable me to liaise with all departments in the bank which really improve my overall knowledge but i am still very negative towards it.
I dont see myself performing or progressing.
Also this role was introduced to me by my previous manager and somehow i know the deputy GM, the colleagues were really nice to me as well so I do not want to disappoint them....
I am trying to suck thumb to at least complete a year but I couldnt stop feeling negative to it...

Hang on there and make good use of the exposure to gain as much experience as you can. After at least six months to a year you may wish to explore available opportunities elsewhere if you decide the position doesn't suit you.

Unregistered 28-05-2015 10:02 AM

Hi all,

Should i stay in this company (my first company)? I joined in sep 2013. My first performance pro-rata bonus is 1.5months. My second performance bonus is 5 months with 10% salary increment. The MD seems to like me alot, my performance has been good. However, my concern is everyone is job-hopping, and in time, most of their drawn basic will be higher than mine. I'm also hitting the 2 year mark in sep 2015.

Field:finance
Degree:uol bnf 2nd ups

Unregistered 28-05-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67270)
Hi all,

Should i stay in this company (my first company)? I joined in sep 2013. My first performance pro-rata bonus is 1.5months. My second performance bonus is 5 months with 10% salary increment. The MD seems to like me alot, my performance has been good. However, my concern is everyone is job-hopping, and in time, most of their drawn basic will be higher than mine. I'm also hitting the 2 year mark in sep 2015.

Field:finance
Degree:uol bnf 2nd ups

How much is your basic pay? What's your annual pay?

Unregistered 28-05-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 67240)

exactly, they didnt want u as a perm in your previous dept. hard truths.

Unregistered 28-05-2015 10:31 AM

You have made a typical freshie mistake - going for a "cool" concept of working in a bank without caring what job you are doing.

Fact is most banking jobs are more like what you descibe, you can either hang on to the job hoping that after some time you can request for transfer or just look for another job you like regardless of industry.

Personally I don't think you should waste time in the bank doing a job you don't like. From what you are describing seems like you have no intention to go after the jobs that can truly pay well anyway, so why bother languishing in a job you hate to do? Just because of some vague thinking you should work in a bank? Doesnt make sense.