Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Exiting Sales Sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5233-exiting-sales-sector.html)

mertoo 02-05-2015 12:38 AM

Exiting Sales Sector

hi all,

i am currently in my mid 30s this year and i have been running my own business for the past 12 years and currently working as a sales manager.

however, i do not wish to do sales job when i am 40 onwards given the unstable income as the nature of such jobs.

i am planning to move to another industry for stability but i have no idea how i can transit to another sector without taking a massive income hit.

i only have a private diploma which i took more than 10 years ago and i am planning to take part time degree to upgrade myself.

has anyone been in such situation or any advise on which sector i can transit into smoothly?

thanks in advance.

mertoo 02-05-2015 12:45 AM

hi all,

i am currently in my mid 30s this year and i have been running my own business for the past 12 years and currently working as a sales manager.

however, i do not wish to do sales job when i am 40 onwards given the unstable income as the nature of such jobs.

i am planning to move to another industry for stability but i have no idea how i can transit to another sector without taking a massive income hit.

previously as a business owner, i was handling everything from accounts, paperwork, managing my employees etc.

i only have a private diploma which i took more than 10 years ago and i am planning to take part time degree to upgrade myself.

has anyone been in such situation or any advise on which sector i can transit into smoothly?

thanks in advance.

Unregistered 02-05-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mertoo (Post 66192)
hi all,

previously as a business owner, i was handling everything from accounts, paperwork, managing my employees etc.

thanks in advance.

Can you share more details about yourself?
What business owner are you?

mertoo 02-05-2015 02:32 PM

I was doing retail chain and distribution business for the past 8 years. I started with one shop and expanded to 7 retail outlets and a distribution warehouse.
I started distributing goods to my own shops and to my retail competitors as well.

The retail and distribution business were good for about 6 years and I started to see the trend is going down as well as profit margin so I prepared my exit.
I started to downsize and not renew when my outlets' tenancy agreement expired.
It took me one and half year to fully exit the business and I sold last shop along with the goods to someone else.

And before this, I was running a f&b business for about 4 years.
I left the f&b business because me and my partner had issues and I decided to leave the partnership.

Due to my sales background, I was recruited into my current job as a sales manager.
This job is fine for me now but I feel that I might not have the energy to keep doing sales when I am older in my 50s.

This is why I am planning to switch industry but all my experience seems to be mostly relate to sales.
I am wondering how or what sector I can smoothly move into.