Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Dilemma (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5197-dilemma.html)

Theebee 18-04-2015 02:38 AM

Dilemma

Hi all,

I am a final year student studying overseas. I currently have 2 options:

(1) Management consulting with a big 4 in London

(2) Local Bank MA

I would like to hear your views. If possible, I would like to hear more about the exit opportunities from MC in Singapore and the consulting scene locally.

Thank you for your time

Unregistered 18-04-2015 09:42 AM

Without a doubt. Better prospects.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 11:54 AM

I'm also inclined to say the better option is MC with big 4.

In terms of exit ops elsewhere the big 4 name is more recognised globally compared to a local bank. However, if your long-term goal is to return home, it really depends on where you plan to end up - an MAP at a bank, if you were to spend some time in FO, may help you get into PE or a hedge fund. It is less likely for consultants to end up in PE than bankers though.

If you're Singaporean I wouldn't give up a chance to work for a couple of years in London.. all the best!

Unregistered 18-04-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theebee (Post 65605)
Hi all,

(2) Local Bank MA

I would like to hear your views. If possible, I would like to hear more about the exit opportunities from MC in Singapore and the consulting scene locally.

Thank you for your time

Depends on what you mean by big 4... If you are talking about the audit firms, then I would say 50-50 about the same prospect as local bank MA. If you mean MBB type then of course option 1 better.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65614)
Depends on what you mean by big 4... If you are talking about the audit firms, then I would say 50-50 about the same prospect as local bank MA. If you mean MBB type then of course option 1 better.

I'm talking about the 'audit firms' but I'll be doing a mix of strategy & ops work in their consulting division.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theebee (Post 65605)
Hi all,

(2) Local Bank MA

Thank you for your time

The key deciding factor here would be: how is the Local Bank MA structured?

If it were me, I will decide based on the rotations given. For example, if it specifically states that there's a high probability that you'll end up in Top FO positions (esp. IB), then local bank MAP would be better. However, that's often not the case. Even if you're lucky enough to get into FO functions, it's more often than not those sales FO functions (i.e. corporate banking, commercial banking, private banking, etc.). If you're less-fortunate, then you would end up in MO (e.g. finance, compliance, risk) or BO (e.g. Ops & Tech). If you're into sales then yes, go for it if you think you could secure FO positions.

However if you're into IB/PE/HF/Consulting, then I would think that the MC Big 4 position would be better.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65618)
I'm talking about the 'audit firms' but I'll be doing a mix of strategy & ops work in their consulting division.

Yea consulting division does have better prospect than audit, but I would rank them the same as a local bank MA. It really depends more on what you want to do.

Just strictly $$$ wise local bank MA probably has a slight edge compare to audit firm doing consultancy, but the main thing is still what do you like doing better. Banking envionment also very different from big 4.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65618)

Firstly, congratulations on both offers!

Let me guess... Big Daddy Deloitte? :) If so, Deloitte's consulting division (Strategy and operations), along with PwC's after they acquired Booz, are by far the most established. Deloitte S&O is somewhat perceived to be a very strong Tier 2 firm closely after MBB (IN THE US), so choosing them will garner you some prestige points on your resume.

Local bank MA programs may struggle to compete with BB so I am not sure if joining one, especially if, like other posters mentioned, you get unlucky with rotation cycles and end up at HR or FO in a sales role.

Check out Wall Street Oasis, there are some very similar threads there that may be of more relevance in terms of the Big 4 MC branch in London.

Cheers

Unregistered 18-04-2015 08:27 PM

Does anyone know more about Big 4's Corporate Finance functions in Singapore?

I've researched on them and found that each Big 4 has their own Corporate Finance Functions (e.g. PWC's M&A, KPMG's M&A, E&Y's Lead Advisory and Deloitte's Corporate Finance). Also, I read that they are essentially the same as IB, just that they perform smaller deals?

How are the prospects for these positions? Thank you.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 10:10 PM

in MA program you are groomed to be a boss.

In big4, you are groomed to serve bosses. and live from a suitcase.