Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Roles in accenture singapore

Old 08-11-2022, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Basically ORD-ing in 2 weeks with computer engineering diploma (3.1GPA) from SP.

I've been doing quite a bit of web development courses and personal projects to keep my skills sharp during NS but still not confident on whether I am job ready.

I had offer from NTU comp engineering but because of my ORD date I decided to take 1 year to work and was wondering if Accenture diploma-graduate program was something I should go for?

Other than the program, people kept telling me to find MNC as my first company and I'm getting overwhelmed on what type of company I should find as my first job and how I should go about finding it?

My criteria is that I am not really worried about pay difference, but more on guidance and whether I would get shunned for being a diploma-grad trying to work in an MNC Tech company.

Would love some advice. Thank you!

It's good for learning i guess , can treat as training school.
Do take note the sponsorship have bonds so plan accordingly.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

In ACN for 2.5 years…Should I align myself to Tech or S&C?

S&C

Pros:
Exposure to different types of work (but so far haven’t done any consulting type of work)
Could potentially be a faster route to CL7

Cons:
More costly to projects: I’ve heard that S&C people cost more to the project
Takes longer to get promoted. Generally it takes about 3-4 years to be promoted to CL7.
Cannot align to H&PS (that’s where most of the biggest clients are and they have the biggest budget for promotions also)

Tech

Pros:
Faster to get promoted.
More budget for promotion.
Better bonuses.

Cons:
Exit options might be limited to tech, not so much of Management Consulting.
If things go south, it might take longer for you to get promoted to AM>M.
Lower pay than consulting (?)

What do you guys recommend?

Old 09-11-2022, 02:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

S&C

Pros:
Exposure to different types of work (but so far haven’t done any consulting type of work)

Cons:
Takes longer to get promoted. Generally it takes about 3-4 years to be promoted to CL7.
Cannot align to H&PS (that’s where most of the biggest clients are and they have the biggest budget for promotions also)

Tech

Pros:
Faster to get promoted.
Better bonuses.

Cons:

What role are you even hired in as for acn? Easy to align to tech but not easy to align to S&C. If you’re hired in as consulting development analyst or strategy analyst you automatically fall under S&C. But if you’re hired in as business and integration analyst you fall under Tech and not S&C. If you want to switch to S&C, you won’t hold the tech titles and it’s not easy to switch. If you’re hired in as operations, or song or security you fall under their respective DTE/function. I’m assuming you’re under TAP given you’re in acn for 2.5 years? Its not end of 3 years you graduate from tap you choose either tech or S&C. You will go back to your DTE/function, again you can identify from your acn job title itself or easiest your contract (it states your job family). It’s easy to tell actually since TAP mostly consists of only business and integration analyst/senior analyst and consulting development analyst/snr analyst, the former is tech while the latter is S&C.

Your pros and cons are rather accurate, S&C is much more competitive than tech. It’s easier to find projects for tech as compared to strategy or consulting. Many times the consulting team in projects are really small, as little as 2 people or maximum 10.
At the end of the day, depends on your interest and abilities.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
What role are you even hired in as for acn? Easy to align to tech but not easy to align to S&C. If you’re hired in as consulting development analyst or strategy analyst you automatically fall under S&C. But if you’re hired in as business and integration analyst you fall under Tech and not S&C. If you want to switch to S&C, you won’t hold the tech titles and it’s not easy to switch. If you’re hired in as operations, or song or security you fall under their respective DTE/function. I’m assuming you’re under TAP given you’re in acn for 2.5 years? Its not end of 3 years you graduate from tap you choose either tech or S&C. You will go back to your DTE/function, again you can identify from your acn job title itself or easiest your contract (it states your job family). It’s easy to tell actually since TAP mostly consists of only business and integration analyst/senior analyst and consulting development analyst/snr analyst, the former is tech while the latter is S&C.

Your pros and cons are rather accurate, S&C is much more competitive than tech. It’s easier to find projects for tech as compared to strategy or consulting. Many times the consulting team in projects are really small, as little as 2 people or maximum 10.
At the end of the day, depends on your interest and abilities.
I was hired under tech but switched to consulting after 2nd year.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

S&C

Pros:

Cons:

Tech

Pros:
Faster to get promoted.
Better bonuses.

Cons:

It takes more than 3-4 years to reach CL7, unless you are including your 2.5 years in.
Even so, 6-7 years from fresh grad is considered fast. Of course there are exceptions.
Do you consider yourself better than everyone at your level? Take that in mind.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

S&C

Pros:

Cons:

Tech

Pros:
Faster to get promoted.
Better bonuses.

Cons:

Just to update on a few of your points, you’re right that consulting people cost more than tech to projects. This makes sense as well given how consulting offers are much more competitive and each recruitment only a handful consulting offers are given out. The roles they hold in projects are vastly different from tech too.

Your cons for consulting on being unable to align to H&PS is not true. Indeed H&PS have some of the biggest budget given the huge project scale. Every project requires consulting people, you’ll see in H&PS projects they tend to join the change management team. Change management is one out of five sub offerings for consulting under S&C.

You have also mentioned that you’ve not gotten the chance to do much consulting projects. It seems that you’re not a consulting analyst or senior analyst? Correct me if I’m wrong. But if you’re a consulting analyst or senior analyst you are under consulting in S&C, you’ll definitely be profiled to consulting roles and you’ll hold consulting roles in projects unless there’s no openings or you wanna do tech roles. Consulting projects or consulting roles are only open to consulting analysts or strategy analysts and not tech, that’s the reason why you may have the chance to experience it.

Your cons for tech are true, if you’re looking to go into management consulting, you should be doing consulting work and holding consulting role. It’s the most straightforward.

Easiest is you’re offered a consulting role when you applied which means you’re hired to do consulting in acn. If not, you’ll have to do an internal switch which is not any easier you’ll need connections or someone at S&C that’s willing to bring you over. Many times if you’re not originally offered a consulting role when you apply, they see that you are not suited for S&C. But now tech is paying quite well too, so if you’re not looking to pursue mgmt consulting non the long term or move on to MBB or strategy house, then you can do tech, it also seems that you’re under tech with the business and integration role.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
lol. my department just fired a bunch of these people. Always overpromise and under delivery.
You’re clearly not from ACN from the words and terms you use. ACN doesn’t fire “a bunch” of people, we don’t use department too. Are you saying nus ntu grads don’t overpromise and under delivery too? Lol what generation are you even living in.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was hired under tech but switched to consulting after 2nd year.
I see, what made you switch to consulting though? Were you interested in it? I assume after the switch you’ve been holding consulting roles in projects? To come across core consulting projects quite rare, cos acn sells many projects related to tech or implementation (that’s what acn is known for also). So on such tech or implementation projects, consulting guys usually take on the change role or maybe functional BA
Old 09-11-2022, 01:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just to update on a few of your points, you’re right that consulting people cost more than tech to projects. This makes sense as well given how consulting offers are much more competitive and each recruitment only a handful consulting offers are given out. The roles they hold in projects are vastly different from tech too.

Your cons for consulting on being unable to align to H&PS is not true. Indeed H&PS have some of the biggest budget given the huge project scale. Every project requires consulting people, you’ll see in H&PS projects they tend to join the change management team. Change management is one out of five sub offerings for consulting under S&C.

You have also mentioned that you’ve not gotten the chance to do much consulting projects. It seems that you’re not a consulting analyst or senior analyst? Correct me if I’m wrong. But if you’re a consulting analyst or senior analyst you are under consulting in S&C, you’ll definitely be profiled to consulting roles and you’ll hold consulting roles in projects unless there’s no openings or you wanna do tech roles. Consulting projects or consulting roles are only open to consulting analysts or strategy analysts and not tech, that’s the reason why you may have the chance to experience it.

Your cons for tech are true, if you’re looking to go into management consulting, you should be doing consulting work and holding consulting role. It’s the most straightforward.

Easiest is you’re offered a consulting role when you applied which means you’re hired to do consulting in acn. If not, you’ll have to do an internal switch which is not any easier you’ll need connections or someone at S&C that’s willing to bring you over. Many times if you’re not originally offered a consulting role when you apply, they see that you are not suited for S&C. But now tech is paying quite well too, so if you’re not looking to pursue mgmt consulting non the long term or move on to MBB or strategy house, then you can do tech, it also seems that you’re under tech with the business and integration role.
Hi, I am a consulting SA. Hope that clarifies. Consulting Projects are not plenty. It really depends on what's available atm when you are on the bench/hired.

In terms of alignment, I think you misinterpeted my point. For CM, they are aligned to Talent and Organisation and they are not really aligned to any industries per se. These people are aligned to the Functional Consulting pillar. I'm referring to Industry Consulting specifically. For example, there is MC for Capital Markets, Insurance, CMT, Banking, but there isn't one for H&PS.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I see, what made you switch to consulting though? Were you interested in it? I assume after the switch you’ve been holding consulting roles in projects? To come across core consulting projects quite rare, cos acn sells many projects related to tech or implementation (that’s what acn is known for also). So on such tech or implementation projects, consulting guys usually take on the change role or maybe functional BA
I was already doing functional work right from the start. So once the TAP program rolled out, I was assigned to one of the pods and naturally my designation switched from BTI to Consulting Development.

Yeah agree with you that consulting projects are pretty rare. Hence, I don't think that there's any value to be aligned to consulting if it's not gonna change the nature of my job scope.

I've spoken to alot of people and many have switched from Consulting to Tech because the kind of work that they are doing isn't aligned to Consulting and it doesn't make sense to be stuck at CL9 for 3-4 years when you can have a faster progression in Tech.

For eg:
Tech (CL9-CL8): 1.5/2 years
Consulting (CL9-CL7): 3/4 years

If you were to stay in Consulting for 2 years as a CL9, your peers would have been promoted to a CL8 and for every year that you don't get promoted to CL7, you will be missing out on the pay increment for a CL8 as your opportunity cost.