Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   lower monthly salary but high annual package? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5038-lower-monthly-salary-but-high-annual-package.html)

springday 26-02-2015 01:12 AM

lower monthly salary but high annual package?

Hi,

My current company does not pay any bonus (no aws nor vb) nor allowances. As such, my base is much higher than what i i'd be getting if I'm at other firms. Now i have an offer which pays higher annual due to bonus. There will be 13th mth bonus and VB too. But I'll be getting a lower monthly salary since company look at annual package.

I'm keen to take up the role since scope is interesting and annual package is ok too. But lower monthly? Seems like a pay-cut though annual package is still better. What's your view?

Unregistered 26-02-2015 05:00 AM

Bonuses are not guaranteed.

Unregistered 26-02-2015 09:11 AM

Somehow, it is always easier to negotiate for your next job's pay based on your basic monthly salary. But career development and experience is more important if the cut ain't too big and you're still getting ok for the overall annual.

springday 26-02-2015 09:50 AM

I totally agree with the 2 comments given and that's my concerns too. Although the company emphasis that their bonus is very stable, it's still hard to say. It's in the healthcare industry. How? Stable?
Monthly cut is abt 15%.

Unregistered 26-02-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springday (Post 63350)
I totally agree with the 2 comments given and that's my concerns too. Although the company emphasis that their bonus is very stable, it's still hard to say. It's in the healthcare industry. How? Stable?
Monthly cut is abt 15%.

15% seems too much cut. Think very carefully before you decide. A company do not want to match the current basic may not be very trustworthy in terms of career growth and financial benefit.

Unregistered 26-02-2015 10:13 AM

Most MNC HRs now look at total package. It is unlikely you can go around telling people you want them to min maintain same monthly, as this will easily mean them paying another 25-35% a year.

If you are relatively junior and dealing with big companies with established processes, I don't think anyone would accept this kind of "I only want to look at monthly basic" logic.

My advice is if you are still young and junior level, don't limit your options by sticking to this type of thinking. Think of the big picture in terms of career development, CV building & industry networking.

springday 26-02-2015 10:28 AM

I've more than10 yrs of working experience and in my mid 30s. I'm happy with the overall annual package ( that's provided if the bonus are certain). I am supposed to give them an answer by this week and I'm really considering very carefully.

Thanks ..

Unregistered 26-02-2015 11:27 AM

Reason for not accepting:
Lower monthly salary may means more difficulties negotiating for your next jump. Less spending each month.

Reason for accepting:
Most big companies look at annual package and usually their bonus are very close to budget, so it's stable. If u are joining a reputable company and no tight monthly financial needs, then this is a package worth considering..

Weigh the pros and cons, bro..

Unregistered 26-02-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springday (Post 63354)
I've more than10 yrs of working experience and in my mid 30s. I'm happy with the overall annual package ( that's provided if the bonus are certain). I am supposed to give them an answer by this week and I'm really considering very carefully.

Thanks ..

Age and no. of years is 1 thing, but what level are you at? If you are relatively lower level in terms of the job hierarchy, don’t think any decent company will entertain your insistence of getting same monthly.

Unregistered 26-02-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63359)
Reason for not accepting:
Lower monthly salary may means more difficulties negotiating for your next jump. Less spending each month.

Reason for accepting:
Most big companies look at annual package and usually their bonus are very close to budget, so it's stable. If u are joining a reputable company and no tight monthly financial needs, then this is a package worth considering..

Weigh the pros and cons, bro..

HRs r not dumb. from my experience they almost always look at your previous anual package and offer accordingly. salary payouts are quite transparent in Singapore and it is very easy to verify from your CPF, tax notice etc. So don't expect using a high monthly basic to secure a high overall package if you don't receive bonus/AWS, they'll know.