Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Mid career crisis (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5024-mid-career-crisis.html)

infernolord 23-02-2015 09:21 AM

Mid career crisis

Not sure if I in this situation but I do feel abit depressed.

I was working in a reputable asset management firm for 7 years as a investment assistant before I moved to another asset management for about 2 years.

I was asked to leave last year and was given 2 month compensation. Yes, I have been jobless for more than 6 months since last Jun.

It took me so long to find a job. Only recently I landed myself in a small korea AM firm. I have almost 10 years of experiences but I feel that I still do not have the expertises in my line. I am early 30s and my recent job is 7k and there is no bonus.

Feeling abit loss. After reading this forum, I see people with 5 yrs exp earning 10k with confidence in their job.

Is there anyone facing the same situation as me?

Unregistered 23-02-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernolord (Post 63178)

I was working in a reputable asset management firm for 7 years as a investment assistant before I moved to another asset management for about 2 years.

I was asked to leave last year and was given 2 month compensation. Yes, I have been jobless for more than 6 months since last Jun.

It took me so long to find a job. Only recently I landed myself in a small korea AM firm. I have almost 10 years of experiences but I feel that I still do not have the expertises in my line. I am early 30s and my recent job is 7k and there is no bonus.

Feeling abit loss. After reading this forum, I see people with 5 yrs exp earning 10k with confidence in their job.

What's your current role in the korean AM company?
7k based on 12 month package?

infernolord 23-02-2015 09:30 AM

Hi.
I worked as investment assistant to fund managers for 7yrs. I moved on to another AM as client service analyst for 2 yrs.
My new role in this Korean firm as junior fund manager.

Unregistered 23-02-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernolord (Post 63178)

Hi, just take the posts on this forum lightly. Many of them may not be true. Even if it's true, those who post are usually the ones who are proud of their achievements (and therefore, the salary will be skewed towards the high side). For each successful one, there are many others who are not doing well.

7k at early 30s is actually good - you're definitely doing better than your peers at your age. The reason why you may feel dissatisfied is because you're probably comparing your salary to the industry standards in the investments industry.

Your current job as a junior fund manager is good. Just learn as you go, develop the necessary skills, and progress from there. You're still young, and you're actually doing well - just that you may not realise it.

Don't be too hard on yourself. All the best.

infernolord 23-02-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63183)
Hi, just take the posts on this forum lightly. Many of them may not be true. Even if it's true, those who post are usually the ones who are proud of their achievements (and therefore, the salary will be skewed towards the high side). For each successful one, there are many others who are not doing well.

7k at early 30s is actually good - you're definitely doing better than your peers at your age. The reason why you may feel dissatisfied is because you're probably comparing your salary to the industry standards in the investments industry.

Your current job as a junior fund manager is good. Just learn as you go, develop the necessary skills, and progress from there. You're still young, and you're actually doing well - just that you may not realise it.

Don't be too hard on yourself. All the best.

Thank for your encouragement.
What really worry me is that I feel I am not progressing. Sometime I feel I should not be in this line.
Having 9 yrs plus in AM, it took me so long to find another job. In fact based on my cv, most job that I was offered was either contract or even a pay cut from my previous firm.

Now that I found one, which is a very small firm. I still feel insecure. Because of the size of the firm, at any time I might get retrenched. I am in fact almost mid 30s, thinking of my future scares me. What if, I am married with kids, another 7mths to a yr jobless is really unimaginable.

sofi 23-02-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernolord (Post 63189)
Thank for your encouragement.
What really worry me is that I feel I am not progressing. Sometime I feel I should not be in this line.
Having 9 yrs plus in AM, it took me so long to find another job. In fact based on my cv, most job that I was offered was either contract or even a pay cut from my previous firm.

Now that I found one, which is a very small firm. I still feel insecure. Because of the size of the firm, at any time I might get retrenched. I am in fact almost mid 30s, thinking of my future scares me. What if, I am married with kids, another 7mths to a yr jobless is really unimaginable.

Actually you have progressed relatively above average. Not many degree educated people can make 7k by mid 30s as can be seen from MOM revealed numbers. I think you are too hard on yoursef.

I would advise you to take most of the financial industry salary talk here with a large pinch of salt. They make it sound like anyone who cannot make 10k by 30 is a loser, many SG PMEs would be glad to switch places with you.

Unregistered 24-02-2015 12:33 AM

lol. Not much of a worry if you ask me. Your salary is higher than probably 70% of the entire population. Even if you do take a pay cut, you can still survive. If you really are worried, spend less, be more prudent. Save up just in case that retrenchment letter comes in.

Unregistered 24-02-2015 09:29 AM

hypothetical question: would you accept a lower pay for a job with perceivably less risk?

e.g. be a lecturer in poly (not that it's easy to get in).

Unregistered 24-02-2015 09:42 AM

It just shows how poisionous all this comparison with each other in the finance industry. Now even getting 7.5k in your mid 30s is something to complain & bitch about.... haha the rest of us making 5k at the same age might as well jump bedok reservoir lah like that...

Unregistered 24-02-2015 10:27 AM

I would say that your salary of 7000 per month without any bonuses (84k per annum) is alright for your age, if you look at the broader economy. There's really no end if you compare to peers in the financial sector.