Advice needed: where to go with FCH? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Advice needed: where to go with FCH?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5
aeipathy is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed: where to go with FCH?

Hi guys, thanks for reading this. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

A bit of background:
- Graduating next year
- Pretty much guaranteed a high FCH in NUS electrical engineering
- Second degree in economics, medium FCH range but not doing honours
- Holding university bondless scholarship

My main priority is getting a well-paying job, or at least one where salary increases in reasonable proportion to effort, because my family's finances are terrible.

This means that most EE jobs are already out except for those in oil (after the crisis?) and power, since I heard that it's an ageing sector. I asked EMA during a career fair and a director told me that the salaries start diverging significantly only after age 40. The defence sector is a backup plan.

I considered the public sector, but I'm not a PSC or ministry scholar so I anticipate that I would be passed up for promotion regardless of my efforts. I can try to remedy this by applying for the PSC Master's scholarship, but will need a backup in case this fails. (I applied for the PSC undergraduate once but failed; I expect to already be blackmarked.)

There's also the finance sector, but I made a fatal mistake in not going for any investment-related internship. Is this still salvageable, and does my second degree help at all? I would prefer a analytical role than sales too.

It's a good thing to have choices, but I want to learn to play my cards right. Once again, thank you for reading!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeipathy View Post
Hi guys, thanks for reading this. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

A bit of background:
- Graduating next year
- Pretty much guaranteed a high FCH in NUS electrical engineering
- Second degree in economics, medium FCH range but not doing honours
- Holding university bondless scholarship

My main priority is getting a well-paying job, or at least one where salary increases in reasonable proportion to effort, because my family's finances are terrible.

This means that most EE jobs are already out except for those in oil (after the crisis?) and power, since I heard that it's an ageing sector. I asked EMA during a career fair and a director told me that the salaries start diverging significantly only after age 40. The defence sector is a backup plan.

I considered the public sector, but I'm not a PSC or ministry scholar so I anticipate that I would be passed up for promotion regardless of my efforts. I can try to remedy this by applying for the PSC Master's scholarship, but will need a backup in case this fails. (I applied for the PSC undergraduate once but failed; I expect to already be blackmarked.)

There's also the finance sector, but I made a fatal mistake in not going for any investment-related internship. Is this still salvageable, and does my second degree help at all? I would prefer a analytical role than sales too.

It's a good thing to have choices, but I want to learn to play my cards right. Once again, thank you for reading!
No offence dude, but shouldnít you try to apply for a few jobs in prominent companies regardless of industry and see if you can land anything first? You make it sound as if your CV is so strong you can afford to pick & choose only 1 or 2 industry/company than compare with a few offers in public sector.

Other than civil service which your FCH can help greatly to secure a MX or Div 1 farmer job, I donít think FCH is anything to shout about when it comes to applying for jobs in big MNCs and their management programs. There are hundreds of FCH & 2UP applying for each position anyway.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeipathy View Post
There's also the finance sector, but I made a fatal mistake in not going for any investment-related internship. Is this still salvageable, and does my second degree help at all?
What sort of internships have you done?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yet another fresh grad "passionate" in Finance trying to be the next big money roller fast...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5
aeipathy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No offence dude, but shouldn’t you try to apply for a few jobs in prominent companies regardless of industry and see if you can land anything first? You make it sound as if your CV is so strong you can afford to pick & choose only 1 or 2 industry/company than compare with a few offers in public sector.

Other than civil service which your FCH can help greatly to secure a MX or Div 1 farmer job, I don’t think FCH is anything to shout about when it comes to applying for jobs in big MNCs and their management programs. There are hundreds of FCH & 2UP applying for each position anyway.
You are right. I'm sorry if my tone or attitude offended you. I'm too naive and eager to try and turn my financial background around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yet another fresh grad "passionate" in Finance trying to be the next big money roller fast...
I'd love to do engineering if it paid better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What sort of internships have you done?
So far, a research project in the defence sector. I'm still applying and going for interviews for this holiday's internship.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The banking industry is nowhere as lucrative as you think it is. Other than the few FO types, the rest are just drawing typical salary. Their monthly looks higher because they donít give AWS and bonus usually <3 months for average performer.

If fast money is what you want, Sales is the most logical route. Otherwise just join gov sector, the total package of a typical degree FCH civil servant is higher than a banking BO and slightly lower or on par with MO equivalent anyway. Donít let the industryís ostentatious lifestyle and inflated title and egos fool you into thinking these so called VP/SVP are very rich drawing few hundred grand a year.

Most VP total pay package in a bank is same as AD in a ministry and SVP equivalent to DD. Shocking, but true. I was a recruiter before and interviewed countless poor VPs who yaya papaya try to act like a hot shot not knowing that their pay is only average among big MNC.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The banking industry is nowhere as lucrative as you think it is. Other than the few FO types, the rest are just drawing typical salary. Their monthly looks higher because they donít give AWS and bonus usually <3 months for average performer.

If fast money is what you want, Sales is the most logical route. Otherwise just join gov sector, the total package of a typical degree FCH civil servant is higher than a banking BO and slightly lower or on par with MO equivalent anyway. Donít let the industryís ostentatious lifestyle and inflated title and egos fool you into thinking these so called VP/SVP are very rich drawing few hundred grand a year.

Most VP total pay package in a bank is same as AD in a ministry and SVP equivalent to DD. Shocking, but true. I was a recruiter before and interviewed countless poor VPs who yaya papaya try to act like a hot shot not knowing that their pay is only average among big MNC.
cannot get into banking sour grape try to BS. most vp in foregin bank make 350-500k. svp easily exceed 500k - 1mil++
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
cannot get into banking sour grape try to BS. most vp in foregin bank make 350-500k. svp easily exceed 500k - 1mil++
Please do not give others false information if you aren't sure of the facts yourself. What the poster said is true. That's the hard fact of how the banking industry really is.

I don't know where you got your figures from, but they look way too much on the high side. The figures that you quoted would only be applicable to Investment Bankers' all in compensation (i.e. including bonus). But then again, there are only so few positions around and the hours are simply crazy (9am-2am average).
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The banking industry is nowhere as lucrative as you think it is. Other than the few FO types, the rest are just drawing typical salary. Their monthly looks higher because they donít give AWS and bonus usually <3 months for average performer.

If fast money is what you want, Sales is the most logical route. Otherwise just join gov sector, the total package of a typical degree FCH civil servant is higher than a banking BO and slightly lower or on par with MO equivalent anyway. Donít let the industryís ostentatious lifestyle and inflated title and egos fool you into thinking these so called VP/SVP are very rich drawing few hundred grand a year.

Most VP total pay package in a bank is same as AD in a ministry and SVP equivalent to DD. Shocking, but true. I was a recruiter before and interviewed countless poor VPs who yaya papaya try to act like a hot shot not knowing that their pay is only average among big MNC.
What is the typical annual annual package of VP? Would it be around 120k? Or 150k?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is the typical annual annual package of VP? Would it be around 120k? Or 150k?
Based on my exp in recruitment, I would say roughly 90-100k all-in for junior VPs who just got promoted and your figures are quite there for more seasoned VPs, i.e. 120-150k annual is very common for most mid career VPs (around mid 30s to early 40s type) in the BO or MO space.

SVP pay will be more varied. The lowest I have seen is 130k and the highest so far for non-sales / FO type is close to 400k. A typical SVP is usually around early to mid 40s average pay about 250k.

These numbers are not bad, enough for a someone to lead an upper middle class lifestyle, but those who think they are going to drive a Ferrari from their District 9 landed garage & rub shoulders with the elites and socialites by being a VP/SVP in Compliance, KYC, Risk Management, HR, IT, Marketing etc. are in for a nasty shock.

All figures are annual inclusive of bonus and allowance.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job Advice Needed! yue.solitary Income and Jobs 7 22-05-2014 03:56 PM
Advice needed on NUS e-commerce course! dilemma Education and Personal Growth 10 20-06-2013 11:00 AM
Advice needed thedudeabides Income and Jobs 5 30-06-2012 12:45 PM
Advice needed! valle27 Income and Jobs 4 05-04-2012 02:52 PM
Advice needed boliao123 Income and Jobs 1 18-06-2010 05:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,726 Replies, 1,402,601 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,622 Replies, 4,574,766 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,048 Replies, 2,514,087 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,844 Replies, 605,326 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,330 Replies, 567,334 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
340 Replies, 150,278 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 25,795 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 217,574 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,651 Replies, 4,342,237 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,544 Replies, 7,324,996 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,577 Replies, 1,264,593 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 736,000 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,994 Replies, 2,488,987 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
613 Replies, 95,138 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 56,395 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,512 Replies, 728,293 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 98,669 Views
Perm to contract, increase > 2k... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 3,771 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 639,108 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 23,564 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 69,648 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,093 Replies, 1,309,125 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,905 Replies, 1,738,880 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
229 Replies, 106,404 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 32,866 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
469 Replies, 270,168 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
434 Replies, 271,764 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
62 Replies, 34,230 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
734 Replies, 195,714 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
299 Replies, 91,034 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2