Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   payscheme of GLCs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5004-payscheme-glcs.html)

~cooler~ 15-02-2015 10:59 AM

payscheme of GLCs

Hi all,

I would to enquire for my cousin who is a fresh grad from 3 local uni with a good honours gng to work for a GLCs
He wanna to find out
How is it Different from ministries/statsboard in terms of
starting pay?
bonus such as 13 mth? Performance bonus?
Progression?
Career prospect?

Hope for insights!

Unregistered 15-02-2015 09:07 PM

please state which GLC are you referring to? so that we can answer you accordingly

different GLC in various sector have different starting pay and bonuses...

~cooler~ 15-02-2015 10:24 PM

GLCs in the health care services like Jurong health services, National health group, etc

Fearoftheunknown 15-02-2015 11:24 PM

I feel like if your cousin is really interested in working in the healthcare industry, he/she would not be so concerned about the pay scheme. #Justsaying

~cooler~ 15-02-2015 11:46 PM

But the pay is also a factor.
A balance need to strike between livelihood & interest too.

Anyone working in healthcare GLCs can share more insights regarding the starting pay , pay progression , bonus as compared to statsboard & minstries.

Thanks

Fearoftheunknown 16-02-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~cooler~ (Post 62786)
But the pay is also a factor.
A balance need to strike between livelihood & interest too.

Anyone working in healthcare GLCs can share more insights regarding the starting pay , pay progression , bonus as compared to statsboard & minstries.

Thanks

I can't help but to go into HR mode for this, even though I'm no longer in HR.

NHG is semi-privatised, and thus many of their pay schemes follow that of stat boards & ministries, which means your starting pay is derived using a calculated formula. Not sure about the rest of the healthcare GLCs, but NHG typically do not hire fresh grads without experience. Your best bet would be taking a Management Associate position, but that would require at least a 2nd upper honours, and the availability of such positions at the right time.

Sorry to say, it can be very demanding to work in the healthcare industry, given how they are so particular about the standards of quality, especially in the area of operations management. I know a few executives (degree holders) actually failed their probation because they failed to live up to expectations. At the end of the day, getting into healthcare industry is 1 thing, staying in there for long term is another thing.

To quote my ex HR manager, "You have to ask yourself what you want and like to do, and just apply for the position." No point researching for the pay schemes of GLCs just to compare; for all you know, your cousin may end up not even being shortlisted for any interviews at healthcare GLCs.

Degree holder, so what?! No experience. You certainly do not get to choose healthcare, it's healthcare who choose you. :cool:

~cooler~ 16-02-2015 01:10 AM

Up for my advice!

Unregistered 16-02-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~cooler~ (Post 62762)
Hi all,

I would to enquire for my cousin who is a fresh grad from 3 local uni with a good honours gng to work for a GLCs
He wanna to find out
How is it Different from ministries/statsboard in terms of
starting pay?
bonus such as 13 mth? Performance bonus?
Progression?
Career prospect?

Hope for insights!

I've worked in 2 GLCs. Both are quite different in terms of pay scheme, bonus and culture so it's hard to say. Given his profile I'll tell him to go get a cushy civil service job instead where pay is generous and he can get all the work-life balance he ever wanted.

~cooler~ 16-02-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62791)
I've worked in 2 GLCs. Both are quite different in terms of pay scheme, bonus and culture so it's hard to say. Given his profile I'll tell him to go get a cushy civil service job instead where pay is generous and he can get all the work-life balance he ever wanted.

my cousin, she intend to work in a healthcare GLCs
Any insights

Unregistered 16-02-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~cooler~ (Post 62792)
my cousin, she intend to work in a healthcare GLCs
Any insights

sorry, never worked in those GLCs... can't help your "cousin" much...

Unregistered 16-02-2015 12:22 PM

Yeah.Anyone in healthcarw GLCs can lip lai share?

Unregistered 16-02-2015 02:05 PM

This TS very funny, want to ask question, but cannot give any details. Just be upfront and say which GLC, otherwise how can people help?

Unregistered 16-02-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62817)
This TS very funny, want to ask question, but cannot give any details. Just be upfront and say which GLC, otherwise how can people help?

I tink TS refering to healthcare GLCs from her previous thread
I Know this TS ...she from ntu comp sci fresh grad applying to health GLCs such as National health grp, Jurong health services, etc

Unregistered 16-02-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62832)
I tink TS refering to healthcare GLCs from her previous thread
I Know this TS ...she from ntu comp sci fresh grad applying to health GLCs such as National health grp, Jurong health services, etc

Then be upfront and just confirm & ask what is the pay scheme for NHG.

There are 2 major healthcare GLCs + another 3-4 smaller healthcare related GLCs out there, how to answer like that...

And btw just curious when you say you know this TS as in you really know who she is in real life?

Unregistered 16-02-2015 03:49 PM

Yup...haha... i just verified with her. She is my acjc classmate lol

Anw...any kind soul who gt insights into healthcare GLCs such as jurong health, NHG, other hosp ...just share lor

Me clueless cant help her oso
Haha

Unregistered 16-02-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62841)
Yup...haha... i just verified with her. She is my acjc classmate lol

Anw...any kind soul who gt insights into healthcare GLCs such as jurong health, NHG, other hosp ...just share lor

Me clueless cant help her oso
Haha

then why cannot be upfront?? post my cousin, my friend all these for what? and spam other forums for what?

Unregistered 16-02-2015 04:06 PM

U ask her? Ask me for wad

Anyway...she only lookin for constructive feedback

Unregistered 16-02-2015 10:49 PM

Anyone knows the average pay for entry level Admin/HR executives in Singhealth? Also assuming average performance, how will the salary increase over the years?

NTU 17-02-2015 06:17 PM

Hi, i interested to find out the starting pay/pay progression/bonus of healthcare GLCs for local fresh grads with honors
If possible, can provide comparison with ministries/statsboard
Thank you!

Unregistered 17-02-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU (Post 62926)
Hi, i interested to find out the starting pay/pay progression/bonus of healthcare GLCs for local fresh grads with honors
If possible, can provide comparison with ministries/statsboard
Thank you!

Looks like the same guy/gal spamming a lot of forums with the same question

Unregistered 18-02-2015 02:21 PM

Am working at one of the healthcare GLCs. If you are looking for high pay and career progression, stay away from healthcare. Pay is reasonable and job is stable. Feels like a retirement job

NTU 18-02-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62995)
Am working at one of the healthcare GLCs. If you are looking for high pay and career progression, stay away from healthcare. Pay is reasonable and job is stable. Feels like a retirement job

Hi..Thanks for insights
I be more specifc
Background: Fresh graduate, Male, 2nd upper honors from ntu major in computer sci intending to work in e field of clinical analytics as a executive in one of the Hospital from the healthcare GLCs

Can share about the starting pay/ career progression/typical bonus?
And isit wise to start working in healthcare analytics as first job? Easy to switch afterwards?
Thanks

Unregistered 18-02-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU (Post 62998)
Hi..Thanks for insights
I be more specifc
Background: Fresh graduate, Male, 2nd upper honors from ntu major in computer sci intending to work in e field of clinical analytics as a executive in one of the Hospital from the healthcare GLCs

Can share about the starting pay/ career progression/typical bonus?
And isit wise to start working in healthcare analytics as first job? Easy to switch afterwards?
Thanks

The pay scheme is actually rather transparent for the admin and nursing,especially for fresh grads. You can check out this Union agreement: ://.hseu.org.sg/wps/wcm/connect/5119480040894622b7bfbfd8f867c067/S76+of+2013+National+Healthcare+Group+%28ASCA%29B% 28240713%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

The other healthcare GLCs like SingHealth should be quite similar too.

With regards to switching jobs, do you mean switching within healthcare sector? The healthcare sector is expanding and has a shortage of manpower. Hence, they are always looking to recruit staff. The "next step" from healthcare GLCs is usually private healthcare companies which of course pay better.

Unregistered 18-02-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62999)
The pay scheme is actually rather transparent for the admin and nursing,especially for fresh grads. You can check out this Union agreement: ://.hseu.org.sg/wps/wcm/connect/5119480040894622b7bfbfd8f867c067/S76+of+2013+National+Healthcare+Group+%28ASCA%29B% 28240713%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

With regards to switching jobs, do you mean switching within healthcare sector? The healthcare sector is expanding and has a shortage of manpower. Hence, they are always looking to recruit staff. The "next step" from healthcare GLCs is usually private healthcare companies which of course pay better.

To add in, for nhg executives are job grade 11 and 12. Senior executives are job grade 13.

For SingHealth: ://.pou.org.sg/wps/wcm/connect/22e96c804f85b1ac821ef6bda6c1e78c/SingHealth+Collective+Agreement+2012-2015+Jan+2013_Clean.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

NTU 18-02-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62999)

Hi,

can u repost the two links as the link is buggy

Thanks

NTU 18-02-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU (Post 63002)
Hi,

can u repost the two links as the link is buggy

Thanks

I found the link, thanks

Job Grade Minimum ($) Maximum ($)

AH11 $2,300 $4,400

AH12 $2,600 $4,800

AH13 $3,300 $5,550

So for my case, I belong to AH11/AH12?

Fearoftheunknown 18-02-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU (Post 63003)
I found the link, thanks

Job Grade Minimum ($) Maximum ($)

AH11 $2,300 $4,400

AH12 $2,600 $4,800

AH13 $3,300 $5,550

So for my case, I belong to AH11/AH12?

AH refers to Allied Health staff scheme. Unless you are working as pharmacist, medical technologist, lab technicians, physiotherapist and the similar likes, you will only be considered as executive under Administration.

Unregistered 19-02-2015 01:20 AM

honestly, I always think that local grads should try out stat boards/directly with the ministry. with 2nd upper hons, you should be able to get a higher starting salary than in the GLCs. If you are so interested in healthcare, why not try HPB, HSA or MOH?

NTU 19-02-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 63014)
AH refers to Allied Health staff scheme. Unless you are working as pharmacist, medical technologist, lab technicians, physiotherapist and the similar likes, you will only be considered as executive under Administration.

So for my case:Doing analytics in hospital as an executive with a comp sci degree from ntu is consider what scheme?
Kindly advise, thanks

Unregistered 21-02-2015 06:04 PM

Bump up thread

Unregistered 22-02-2015 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU (Post 63031)
So for my case:Doing analytics in hospital as an executive with a comp sci degree from ntu is consider what scheme?
Kindly advise, thanks

if you intend to apply for a job, they would tell you what scheme you will be in if you ask them about the career progression pathway lor.

Fearoftheunknown 27-02-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63023)
honestly, I always think that local grads should try out stat boards/directly with the ministry. with 2nd upper hons, you should be able to get a higher starting salary than in the GLCs. If you are so interested in healthcare, why not try HPB, HSA or MOH?

It's easier said than done. Higher salary, better perks would require someone with a certain no. of years of experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTU (Post 63031)
Kindly advise, thanks

Normal job grade 11.

Unregistered 27-02-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 63433)
It's easier said than done. Higher salary, better perks would require someone with a certain no. of years of experience.

Normal job grade 11.

what's the pay range for a normal job grade 11? not all pte sector jobs have grading so im not sure how it works.

Fearoftheunknown 28-02-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63445)
what's the pay range for a normal job grade 11? not all pte sector jobs have grading so im not sure how it works.

About $2.8 - $3.1, depending whether you have honours, and no. of years of relevant experience.

HR executive 01-03-2015 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 63450)
About $2.8 - $3.1, depending whether you have honours, and no. of years of relevant experience.

Are you the figures are so low? I dun think so personally...

Unregistered 01-03-2015 12:51 AM

Know someone from Health care glc. Second lower 3k. Served ns, not sure if that affected the pay or not

Fearoftheunknown 01-03-2015 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HR executive (Post 63503)
Are you the figures are so low? I dun think so personally...

Healthcare sector don't really pay well for administration (this includes HR, corp comms, medical affairs, finance, support services, etc), because most of the profits go to the rock stars of the field (eg: doctors, research & allied health). People tend to go into healthcare with the passion to serve in a people-oriented environment, and with the purpose of playing a role in improving the quality of lives of patients.

You may be wondering what I mean by administration plays a role in improving patients' lives. Without administration, hospitals can never function smoothly. Singapore hospitals are regarded as top quality because of the JCI awarded by the international committee. The administration do contribute to the success substantially just as much as healthcare professionals by working behind the scenes day and night. They are indeed the unsung heroes.

Despite the lower salaries, it can be pretty inspiring and meaningful to work in a healthcare-based setting, for healthcare is certainly of one of the fields where you perceived every individual staff as "Every joint supplies" (pun not intended). To me, that is very gratifying and beautiful. How many organisations or industry where one can really say they feel important no matter which dept they are from? Compare with FMCG industry, where the sales and marketing dept are celebrated and are the rock stars in the company, and other depts' achievements are downplayed and neglected just because they are deemed not as crucial to the survival of the company. I personally know some people in administration who left 1 healthcare institution to join another institution. Proves that there is a deeper meaning beneath their decision to stay in healthcare, and money is not everything in a career. Yes, I am highly idealistic, and I feel compel to share my insights from another perspective. :)

Unregistered 01-03-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown (Post 63510)
Healthcare sector don't really pay well for administration (this includes HR, corp comms, medical affairs, finance, support services, etc), because most of the profits go to the rock stars of the field (eg: doctors, research & allied health). People tend to go into healthcare with the passion to serve in a people-oriented environment, and with the purpose of playing a role in improving the quality of lives of patients.

You may be wondering what I mean by administration plays a role in improving patients' lives. Without administration, hospitals can never function smoothly. Singapore hospitals are regarded as top quality because of the JCI awarded by the international committee. The administration do contribute to the success substantially just as much as healthcare professionals by working behind the scenes day and night. They are indeed the unsung heroes.

Despite the lower salaries, it can be pretty inspiring and meaningful to work in a healthcare-based setting, for healthcare is certainly of one of the fields where you perceived every individual staff as "Every joint supplies" (pun not intended). To me, that is very gratifying and beautiful. How many organisations or industry where one can really say they feel important no matter which dept they are from? Compare with FMCG industry, where the sales and marketing dept are celebrated and are the rock stars in the company, and other depts' achievements are downplayed and neglected just because they are deemed not as crucial to the survival of the company. I personally know some people in administration who left 1 healthcare institution to join another institution. Proves that there is a deeper meaning beneath their decision to stay in healthcare, and money is not everything in a career. Yes, I am highly idealistic, and I feel compel to share my insights from another perspective. :)

Leaving one health instituition to join another doesn't neccesarily mean having a deeper meaning to their decision to stay in healthcare. It could mean that their skills are not transferable to other industries, especially operations. Or it could mean that alternative jobs are just as low paying.

Personally, healthcare work culture isn't quite my cup of tea. Bureaucratic and hierarchical. Extreme worshipping of doctors. Having worked in other industries before, I was very surprised by the poor treatment of the staff by doctors. And such rude behavior is condoned.

NTU 01-03-2015 12:58 PM

Are you working as HR in healthcare?
So medical affairs belongs to which scheme specially?

Unregistered 01-03-2015 02:43 PM

Actually in my experience the looking down on support function like IT/HR/Admin/Sales Support/Customer Service/ Procurement etc is everywhere since they are cost center rather than revenue generator.

But the culture is more uncheck in local companies or smaller mncs which are run like local culture. Almost all the GLCs have typical local mentality. A HR admin wil get bully by doctors in healthcare GLC, but similarly they will also get bullied by the leasing side if its a property GLC or stamp on by BD guys if its a telco GLC.