Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

payscheme of GLCs

Old 31-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Many thanks for your insights. Can I assume that personal development wise may not be good there? Thereby affecting your career progression? Also, is it hard to enter the exec management scheme (equivalent of a MAP) there? Assuming that there is such a scheme there.
There is good personal training budget & programs for the frontline operation and medical related staff, but from what I hear there is very little for backend department like HR admin. They have a MAP, but its just a short 12 mth program where they give a bit of training and rotate a few jobs or take on some minor project. It's not really a fast track program that will make you a director anytime soon. Few of my colleagues were past MAP and career even slower than some mid level hires.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
There is good personal training budget & programs for the frontline operation and medical related staff, but from what I hear there is very little for backend department like HR admin. They have a MAP, but its just a short 12 mth program where they give a bit of training and rotate a few jobs or take on some minor project. It's not really a fast track program that will make you a director anytime soon. Few of my colleagues were past MAP and career even slower than some mid level hires.
Thanks alot for your comments. Hmm it sounds pretty dreary for non-medical and non-frontline staff. And it would seem that backend role really is just an administration mill. How is the culture and turnover like? Last thing I want would be to be enticed by increment at the expense of my future prospects.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks alot for your comments. Hmm it sounds pretty dreary for non-medical and non-frontline staff. And it would seem that backend role really is just an administration mill. How is the culture and turnover like? Last thing I want would be to be enticed by increment at the expense of my future prospects.
Well, I have to clarify I'm not from HR so what I say is base on observation of my own department and also my interaction with the ladies from HR during work.

In general, culture is pretty slow paced and bureaucratic, not much out of the box thinking or solutions generating, most of it is follow SOP follow the policy and troubleshoot when got problems.

The people there are quite nice, but definitely not the smart type who really know a lot about their profession or can front big business stakeholders. So if you want some stability with pleasant colleagues then its a good place, but if you want to build up professional network or get promotions or career development, that's not the place to be.

Colleagues who have left always try to get themselves into a good well known MNC only to not even make it to 1st round and end up in some other GLC or public sector, so if your intention is to be some HRBP in a big MNC like google or oracle then this place is a no no.

But for HR if you need to deal extensively with doctors and head nurses, must be prepared for some rude and unreasonable demands from them. They can be a bit marvericky or quirky and tend to blast you on the spot if they are not happy. For me I dont really care as my boss is influential and I know they cant do anything to me.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

is restructure hospital consider stat board? will my cep & performance be available to them as well?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, I have to clarify I'm not from HR so what I say is base on observation of my own department and also my interaction with the ladies from HR during work.

In general, culture is pretty slow paced and bureaucratic, not much out of the box thinking or solutions generating, most of it is follow SOP follow the policy and troubleshoot when got problems.

The people there are quite nice, but definitely not the smart type who really know a lot about their profession or can front big business stakeholders. So if you want some stability with pleasant colleagues then its a good place, but if you want to build up professional network or get promotions or career development, that's not the place to be.

Colleagues who have left always try to get themselves into a good well known MNC only to not even make it to 1st round and end up in some other GLC or public sector, so if your intention is to be some HRBP in a big MNC like google or oracle then this place is a no no.

But for HR if you need to deal extensively with doctors and head nurses, must be prepared for some rude and unreasonable demands from them. They can be a bit marvericky or quirky and tend to blast you on the spot if they are not happy. For me I dont really care as my boss is influential and I know they cant do anything to me.
Thank you for your very astute observations. No I don't think having worked there will boost the chances of joining big MNCs. Just worried that there's no personal development nor much of a career progression. Seems pretty much like a good stable environment if you're contented with where you currently are.

How's the grade system like? For example in public sector, we start off at MX13. What about there? What's the usual grade for M/SM?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for your very astute observations. No I don't think having worked there will boost the chances of joining big MNCs. Just worried that there's no personal development nor much of a career progression. Seems pretty much like a good stable environment if you're contented with where you currently are.

How's the grade system like? For example in public sector, we start off at MX13. What about there? What's the usual grade for M/SM?
I really don't know the exact details of how the grading & pay thing works, but it is confirm very different from civil service. So things like MX13, 12, 11 etc. dont mean anything in NHG.

Realistically speaking there will be some promotions, maybe once every 5-8 years, the higher you get the longer it takes for the next promotion. My best guess of pay level is something like this:

Exec = 2.5-3.5k
Sr Exec = 3-4.5k
AM = 4-5k
M=4.5-6k
SM=6-7.5k
AD=7-9k

Rough guess base on what I hear around. Maybe you will know better when you join the HR... Also many departments don't follow the levels strictly and don't have anyone in some levels. For e.g. a small department maybe only have a SM as department head with 1 AM & 2 Exec.

Most people will promote up to SM or AD in their 40s then stop, only very few can get promoted beyond since the number of jobs above is much smaller.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I really don't know the exact details of how the grading & pay thing works, but it is confirm very different from civil service. So things like MX13, 12, 11 etc. dont mean anything in NHG.

Realistically speaking there will be some promotions, maybe once every 5-8 years, the higher you get the longer it takes for the next promotion. My best guess of pay level is something like this:

Exec = 2.5-3.5k
Sr Exec = 3-4.5k
AM = 4-5k
M=4.5-6k
SM=6-7.5k
AD=7-9k

Rough guess base on what I hear around. Maybe you will know better when you join the HR... Also many departments don't follow the levels strictly and don't have anyone in some levels. For e.g. a small department maybe only have a SM as department head with 1 AM & 2 Exec.

Most people will promote up to SM or AD in their 40s then stop, only very few can get promoted beyond since the number of jobs above is much smaller.

No what you have provided has been most useful. Thank you for sharing all the information! One more thing; how's the lunch culture like? Is it a strict 1 hr lunch or..?
Old 23-05-2015, 01:37 AM
Unregistered

here to bump this thread...

just wondering if a staff who is on 6-mth probation will be entitled to performance bonus during the June payout? let's say if they join in the first quarter of 2015.
Old 23-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Unregistered

It will be prorated....
Old 23-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

What is the salary range for

M1 (Asst principal Engineer/Asst Manager)

M2 (Asst principal Engineer/Asst Manager)

M3 (Principal Engineer/Manager)

in GLC like ST engineering?