Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   payscheme of GLCs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5004-payscheme-glcs.html)

Unregistered 13-03-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64030)
Ok....anyone else working in healthcare GLCs willing to contribute more insights?

Actually why do you still need more validations? From what I've seen thus far, many people here had already provided their insights. It's either you're still clinging onto the fact that there's a glimmer of silver lining with respect to salary and career progression in the healthcare institutions, or you're in utter disbelief of the cold hard truth.

Either way, you seemed to be more concern about remuneration than anything. Not that there's anything wrong, but to work in healthcare sector, one must have a more "altruistic" outlook towards his/her work and impact beyond self serving needs.

Unregistered 13-03-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64035)
Actually why do you still need more validations? From what I've seen thus far, many people here had already provided their insights. It's either you're still clinging onto the fact that there's a glimmer of silver lining with respect to salary and career progression in the healthcare institutions, or you're in utter disbelief of the cold hard truth.

Either way, you seemed to be more concern about remuneration than anything. Not that there's anything wrong, but to work in healthcare sector, one must have a more "altruistic" outlook towards his/her work and impact beyond self serving needs.

Actually healthcare institution pay ain't that bad, just that if he keep wanting to compare to civil service then really nothing to say. Lots of companies in pte sector cannot match what civil service is paying anyway.

Unregistered 13-03-2015 03:14 PM

If pay matters so much then dont join. Simple as that. Dont make yourself unhappy over the money. To unregistered 12:47, even if more than 3 ppl here contribute their insights, it wont be enough for you wont it?

Fearoftheunknown 14-03-2015 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63998)
In summary, if you are going to join the public health insitutuion as a admin support staff, be prepared to end you career as a manager or in the best case scenario senior manager...

For me is thanks but no thanks.

Some people in this forum failed to realise that managerial/directorial are "Many are called, but a few are chosen" kind of positions. And in this current age where job-hopping is the common thing, I doubt you would stay in a particular healthcare institution for more than 5 yrs (esp if it is a demanding role). Why focus so much on the end destination when your career is a life long journey itself? As cliched as it sounds, it's the process that is more important than the goal. And to put things in perspective, majority of the employees don't usually end up as manager despite working for so long in a company.

Unregistered 14-03-2015 09:56 AM

I'm in one of the healthcare GLC now. The hours are long considering that it's "public" (8am-6:30, 7pm+ for me everyday), their is little direction from the top and much territorial protectionism between the different departments (clinical and non-clinical). Have worked in public sector before and found that we see less of these in established SB compared to the fluid nature of healthcare GLC, especially those with shorter history. Which is ironic since this is the chance to mold the culture to be open and collaborative. The vision and mission which documented these values are seen as a joke and the turnover among support staff is higher than normal. I am not sure of the value of jumping to another healthcare GLC every 2-3 years and it would be good to hear from others whether what I described is a norm in other healthcare GLC.

Good thread so far and would be interesting to hear from others who are working in more established healthcare GLC.

Unregistered 14-03-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64106)
I'm in one of the healthcare GLC now. The hours are long considering that it's "public" (8am-6:30, 7pm+ for me everyday), their is little direction from the top and much territorial protectionism between the different departments (clinical and non-clinical). Have worked in public sector before and found that we see less of these in established SB compared to the fluid nature of healthcare GLC, especially those with shorter history. Which is ironic since this is the chance to mold the culture to be open and collaborative. The vision and mission which documented these values are seen as a joke and the turnover among support staff is higher than normal. I am not sure of the value of jumping to another healthcare GLC every 2-3 years and it would be good to hear from others whether what I described is a norm in other healthcare GLC.

Good thread so far and would be interesting to hear from others who are working in more established healthcare GLC.

May I know which dept you are working in? my working hours in my GLC are 8.30-6 so im curious about your dept.

Unregistered 19-03-2015 11:19 PM

Heard healthcare GLCs have lots of office politics. Or at least more than the norm. is that true?

Unregistered 31-03-2015 02:11 PM

Hi anyone working in NHG?

I just want to know if career progression there for corporate side (e.g. HR) is good (i.e. able to make it to AD/DD/D level in time to come), for those coming in as mid-career. How's their annual increment like for average (i.e. C ) performer?

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 31-03-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64747)
Hi anyone working in NHG?

I just want to know if career progression there for corporate side (e.g. HR) is good (i.e. able to make it to AD/DD/D level in time to come), for those coming in as mid-career. How's their annual increment like for average (i.e. C ) performer?

Thanks in advance.

For average performers you should get your AD in early to mid 40s, although some of them never progress beyond SM. Anything above that is all about connections and politics. The number of DD/D drop by a lot compare to AD as it is consider exclusive. Increments are normal 4-5% yearly if no recession. Also HR over there is run of the mill operations/administrative level, so not really a dept where strong players want to go.

Unregistered 31-03-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64750)
For average performers you should get your AD in early to mid 40s, although some of them never progress beyond SM. Anything above that is all about connections and politics. The number of DD/D drop by a lot compare to AD as it is consider exclusive. Increments are normal 4-5% yearly if no recession. Also HR over there is run of the mill operations/administrative level, so not really a dept where strong players want to go.

Many thanks for your insights. Can I assume that personal development wise may not be good there? Thereby affecting your career progression? Also, is it hard to enter the exec management scheme (equivalent of a MAP) there? Assuming that there is such a scheme there.