Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Department of Statistics (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4961-department-statistics.html)

heartswap 27-01-2015 05:48 PM

Department of Statistics

Anyone able to shed light on how things are at the department of statistics? I couldn't find any information regarding their pay structure online.

Unregistered 24-03-2015 10:20 PM

How much does DOS pays for Management Executive scheme? Grad with 5 yrs work experience. With NS.

Isit a nice place to work?

Unregistered 24-03-2015 10:38 PM

Dont bother with DOS if u got lousy gp grade. Apparently that's the most important criteria for them even tho they refused to say it.

Unregistered 24-03-2015 11:10 PM

i left dos 5 years ago.

Yes. I do a agree that Dos look at your GP.

Unregistered 25-03-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64554)
i left dos 5 years ago.

Can share hows the pay scale like? thx!

Unregistered 25-03-2015 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64554)
i left dos 5 years ago.

I find it ridiculous that a lousy GP grade is so detrimental that it completely discounts all other achievements.

Ironically, i landed myself in a better paying and more paper pushing role.

Unregistered 21-04-2015 11:01 AM

Hi i'm wondering if anyone knows more about the professional scheme for statistician? Care to share?

Unregistered 21-04-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65734)
Hi i'm wondering if anyone knows more about the professional scheme for statistician? Care to share?

Statistician? Do you have post-grad degree (Masters or above)? If you only have a bachelor deg, just farm it out in the civil service. A Statistician in private sector requires at least a post grad deg.

Generally speaking. Working as a statistician in private sector does not make you a lot of money. I have 8 yrs of working experience with Masters from local university ( u can guess which one easily), drawing only 85k per annum excluding bonus from MNCs.(2-3 avg). Most of my peers (Master in Statistics) are not working as a Statistician.

But the good thing about studying statistics is that your skills are easily transferable.
You can venture into becoming a market researcher, data analyst, risk analyst , actuarial science, underwriter and growing trends is to becoming a data scientist (PHDs). These jobs are the higher paying ones.

I dare to say Statistics will be a hot degree in the next 5 years with "the world of BIG DATA"

Unregistered 21-04-2015 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65777)
Statistician? Do you have post-grad degree (Masters or above)? If you only have a bachelor deg, just farm it out in the civil service. A Statistician in private sector requires at least a post grad deg.

Generally speaking. Working as a statistician in private sector does not make you a lot of money. I have 8 yrs of working experience with Masters from local university ( u can guess which one easily), drawing only 85k per annum excluding bonus from MNCs.(2-3 avg). Most of my peers (Master in Statistics) are not working as a Statistician.

But the good thing about studying statistics is that your skills are easily transferable.
You can venture into becoming a market researcher, data analyst, risk analyst , actuarial science, underwriter and growing trends is to becoming a data scientist (PHDs). These jobs are the higher paying ones.

I dare to say Statistics will be a hot degree in the next 5 years with "the world of BIG DATA"

read the fugging thread title. he is asking about statistician in DOS, a public service org.

Unregistered 22-04-2015 07:27 PM

any insights on the culture at DOS for working level?