Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Unregistered

how many months is the all in total package for a Div I officer in stat board? Assuming average performer and average year...

Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you looking a PR in the advertising/PR way? In Min/SB their PR and Corp Comms depts do mainly media relations and some events or roadshows. At most places, Div 2 officers are support officers. They don't do any comms plan or events planning, just the support work like preparing news clippings, help to write a bit for their publications, prepare catering for events, etc. If these are what you don't mind doing for about a year or two, I think it is not a bad start if you really want to do comms. The salary range is about $2,053 - $3,260, it takes between 3-6 years for a promotion. Increment for me is 4% yearly and a promotion is less than 9%.

I joined my current company as they had an op's team for events and international relations. Then a re-org happened, I got absorbed into comms. I graduated with a tourism diploma. To me, as long as the company is willing to give you the opportunity, I don't see any harm in trying to see if it fits you. A year later, if you decided to further your studies, they might even offer you a scholarship (local 4 yrs bond, overseas 6 yrs bond). As long as you do your work well and have a good attitude, I can't see why you can't progress from there. Caveat: I don't suck balls.
I know a few real life examples who managed to luck into corp comms as a result of re-org. I was one of them, but that's because I was already working as a marketing communications executive, and was already proven excellent in communications work. The ones I know of that was absorbed into corp comms (not the same company) are relegated to the events planning part of comms, probably because of the lack of competency in writing or managing actual comms work.

You can't expect to go into a company as a position unrelated to corp comms, and hoping that somehow the company has a restructuring and re-assign you to your desired position . Life does not work this way, and honestly speaking, it's an unrealistic strategy. Yes, you can use it as a stepping stone, but I don't think you should pin your hopes on it cos it really depends on your luck. One also need to consider that govt stat boards may not necessary have entry level corp comms position for diploma holders.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowishes View Post
I'm interested in PR, what is it like working in comms? My English grade is B4. Does it affect my chances?
PR/Comms usually involves drafting of press release, update and maintain corporate website, news media coverage, oversee relations of both internal and external stakeholders, run events, copy-writing, etc.

You need to write well to save your life. To answer your question, English grade is everything (why do you think mass comm requires a distinction in English??!), and even if they can disregard your O level English grade, they will most likely administer a written test of sorts. Your English is at best average only; thus even with a comms degree you may realise that you do not have the aptitude to write well, which is quintessential in Communications. You'll be shocked to know that some private companies use English O level grades to shortlist candidates to the next round. You can expect public sectors to be alot more stringent.

People think it's easy to get into comms, but it couldn't be further away from the naked truth. PR/Comms can be very demanding. Many are called to go into comms but only a few are chosen. If meeting new people is the only reason why you are interested in PR/Comms, then I think you should seriously consider doing events or HR instead. You get to meet new people all the time and the work is less demanding, as compared to Comms.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Default Comms in SB

Does anyone know what does the corp comms in SB does? Esp those position higher than entry level?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I need suggestion as to which ministry should I be looking into if I:

- am a local diploma holder (engineering/infocomm)
- am aged 28
- have work in sales for the past 6 years
- have basic and comm averages to about 2k per month
- do not have intention of joining uniformed group
- have slight deficient in Maths and English
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what does the corp comms in SB does? Esp those position higher than entry level?
I was told that being able to write well is one of the main important criteria to get into corp comms in SB. So expect lots of writing components as part of your job scope.

The job scope should be sth very similar to private organisations, esp when it comes to the dissemination of govt news, and cultivating & maintaining of media relations with relevant stakeholders. For example, draft press release & internal newsletter, monitor & analyse media news related to the SB, etc.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Unregistered_

Anyone can share what's the career progression of ops executive in GLCs? Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

I want to apply for a diploma level job in public sector, but actually I have a private degree. Would it be better to list my degree in or leave it out during job application? Any advise on this from people working there?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I need suggestion as to which ministry should I be looking into if I:

- am a local diploma holder (engineering/infocomm)
- am aged 28
- have work in sales for the past 6 years
- have basic and comm averages to about 2k per month
- do not have intention of joining uniformed group
- have slight deficient in Maths and English
You have deficiencies in 2 of the more important skills. Your experience in sales would unlikely be appreciated at all since civil service doesn't do sales lol. Maybe you should look into engineering jobs, though they will most likely offer you fresh diploma entry positions if you're lucky. Best option for you is to sign on for uniformed service, you lack skills that are deemed valuable to the civil service, not that you aren't valuable, just that there probably isn't a job that matches your experience.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I want to apply for a diploma level job in public sector, but actually I have a private degree. Would it be better to list my degree in or leave it out during job application? Any advise on this from people working there?
If you really do want to apply for a diploma level job, then you can leave out the fact that you have a degree. Why would you want a dip level job? You know that they won't promote you to a degree level position down the road right? Because they are looking for someone to work in that dip position, if they do hire you, they probably expect you to work in that position at least in the next 3-5 years.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app