Trading (Crude oil) - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Trading (Crude oil)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, are u in the trading line? mind saying if u r operations, risk or trader??
Hi I am in the trading line, risk function supporting the traders.

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I am in the trading line, risk function supporting the traders.
That's quite high given the oil price now! R u in a big firm? How long have you been in this line ?

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That's quite high given the oil price now! R u in a big firm? How long have you been in this line ?
Yes I have a good performance grading, I think this is considered good given the environment now. Yes I am in a big firm. Been in this line for close to 4 years coming June.

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes I have a good performance grading, I think this is considered good given the environment now. Yes I am in a big firm. Been in this line for close to 4 years coming June.
Are you in the trading arm of those oil refinery companies like shell etc or a commodity trading house? Mind sharing your experiences and how the industry works? What r the diff between working for a trading house or oil refinery companies etc??


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you in the trading arm of those oil refinery companies like shell etc or a commodity trading house? Mind sharing your experiences and how the industry works? What r the diff between working for a trading house or oil refinery companies etc??
Different poster, but I doubt guy on top is from big oil. I am familiar with trading org in BP & Shell, they don't pay traders that sort of salary & bonus. His pay level if big oil is for trade operations support which is no different from other support departments like finance/it/marketing etc.. Ops support is not considered oil trading, they are more back office providers for traders who are theinternal customer.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Different poster, but I doubt guy on top is from big oil. I am familiar with trading org in BP & Shell, they don't pay traders that sort of salary & bonus. His pay level if big oil is for trade operations support which is no different from other support departments like finance/it/marketing etc.. Ops support is not considered oil trading, they are more back office providers for traders who are theinternal customer.
Is risk management considered as back or front? I have a friend who said he was in the front office but isn't a trader...
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is risk management considered as back or front? I have a friend who said he was in the front office but isn't a trader...
Unlike investment banks or trading houses, big oil does not organize itself as front or back office. To them there is only trading (i.e. those on the good pay & uncap bonus) and others which include any support functions which drawn ordinary pay and bonus.

One can be anal and insist that being a support is FO because you provide supporting services to traders, but at the end of the day if you are drawing 5k with a few months bonus just like any other support function, then does it matter whether you call yourself FO or BO?

The only reason why some folks are hung up on defining themselves as FO to outside world is because of this general perception of prestige and high pay. Internally say in BP or Shell, if you tell another co-worker you are a risk analyst in FO they will give you the "har what talking you" look.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes I have a good performance grading, I think this is considered good given the environment now. Yes I am in a big firm. Been in this line for close to 4 years coming June.
I am this poster. I was from banking and then went to oil company. Oil industry is much more dynamic. Yes we dont differentiate BO or FO.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unlike investment banks or trading houses, big oil does not organize itself as front or back office. To them there is only trading (i.e. those on the good pay & uncap bonus) and others which include any support functions which drawn ordinary pay and bonus.

One can be anal and insist that being a support is FO because you provide supporting services to traders, but at the end of the day if you are drawing 5k with a few months bonus just like any other support function, then does it matter whether you call yourself FO or BO?

The only reason why some folks are hung up on defining themselves as FO to outside world is because of this general perception of prestige and high pay. Internally say in BP or Shell, if you tell another co-worker you are a risk analyst in FO they will give you the "har what talking you" look.
how well does big oil pays?? i know someone in risk and his starting pay was 4k plus, and he wasnt even in shell, exxon or BP. Does support function really pays so well too? If big oil pays a fresh grad so well for a support function, it seems like a better choice to work in oil than banks!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am this poster. I was from banking and then went to oil company. Oil industry is much more dynamic. Yes we dont differentiate BO or FO.
mind sharing your job scope? i believe risk has market, credit risk etc??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sales and trading at tier 1 banks BB_FO Income and Jobs 37 09-10-2014 05:45 PM
Comodities Trading trainee interview villan Income and Jobs 1 03-10-2013 07:50 PM
Wet Trading - Prospects aimhigh Income and Jobs 6 20-09-2012 03:58 PM
Do Trading Course actually work ? lazyplane Education and Personal Growth 22 06-06-2012 02:13 PM
Eye Surgeon Lost 15k USD in Options Trading Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 9 20-02-2012 01:18 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
265 Replies, 184,208 Views
Accepting Job offer or take AWS
0 Replies, 108 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
73 Replies, 65,860 Views
Civil Service Year End Bonus 2018 ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 12,025 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,799 Replies, 1,247,183 Views
Do you need to hack facebook
0 Replies, 54 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 68,640 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,322 Replies, 4,116,156 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
184 Replies, 230,643 Views
DBS Business Analystics Graduate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 25,986 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 119,449 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,024 Replies, 1,283,175 Views
SAS Business Intelligence &...
1 Replies, 455 Views
DSM Bright Development Program
0 Replies, 97 Views
Exxonmobil Technical track...
0 Replies, 125 Views
what to invest
4 Replies, 2,908 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
361 Replies, 557,686 Views
Credit Suisse - Compliance... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
95 Replies, 46,223 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,135 Replies, 521,767 Views
Anybody knows the salary for...
0 Replies, 241 Views
Rolls-Royce Graduate Development... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 11,749 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
204 Replies, 136,596 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,889 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,242 Replies, 398,460 Views
Working in a bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
521 Replies, 274,595 Views
Shell Graduate program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
147 Replies, 95,332 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,850 Replies, 669,221 Views
Anyone work in AVA Animal Health... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 2,809 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2