Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Seeking advise on a banking career from an overseas grad (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4939-seeking-advise-banking-career-overseas-grad.html)

Rwolf 20-01-2015 08:13 PM

Seeking advise on a banking career from an overseas grad

Hi all,

I just graduated from the University of Queensland, Australia with a degree in commerce, finance major a month ago. I would love to build a career in the banking industry and is seeking brilliant advises on what is the best option for me to take right now. Bros and sis anybody out there who can enlighten me?

P.s. I have no working experience in the banking & finance field at all. Definitely willing to start from the bottom ladder.

Unregistered 20-01-2015 08:59 PM

As someone who has been in banking for over 20 years, my advice (noun is advice, plural is also advice, not advises) to u is to get the best degree you can possibly get, aim for investment banking or global markets position, risk/compliance or relationship management (depending on your degree, aptitude and EQ). Forget retail banking or basic commercial banking. Try to get into a structuring, trading and/or advisory role. If your family has money, this may open door to a private banking role. Good luck.

Unregistered 20-01-2015 10:08 PM

another aspiring banker who is "interested in working in the industry" but doesn't know about the different roles in it

Unregistered 21-01-2015 09:28 AM

If you are non-ivy league, you are gonna find it tough to get into investment banking. The interview includes a question with a few dots forming a square, and writing a formula on how to move a dot. It also tests on your knowledge of mispriced securities, or financial instruments currently in the market. And alot on market knowledge, pricing, and trading strategies.

Unregistered 21-01-2015 10:25 AM

Not another banker wannabe with an average aussie degree...

I have no idea what is banking, but damm it I have the passion to build a career in banking!!!

Unregistered 21-01-2015 10:39 AM

doesnt just apply to finance u know. anyway finance has better prospects than being in IT.

Unregistered 21-01-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwolf (Post 61623)
Hi all,

I just graduated from the University of Queensland, Australia with a degree in commerce, finance major a month ago. I would love to build a career in the banking industry and is seeking brilliant advises on what is the best option for me to take right now. Bros and sis anybody out there who can enlighten me?

P.s. I have no working experience in the banking & finance field at all. Definitely willing to start from the bottom ladder.

Good lord, I hope the above is not a reflection of your English standards. I think even a decent upper secondary student can write better than that.

Unregistered 21-01-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61661)
Good lord, I hope the above is not a reflection of your English standards. I think even a decent upper secondary student can write better than that.

Exactly. Simi is bottom ladder? advises lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Unregistered 21-01-2015 04:41 PM

CMI ......... sorry ...........

Unregistered 21-01-2015 08:21 PM

First and foremost, what do you understand about banking ? Do you know how banks are run ? What are the broad functions in an FI ? What are the skill sets and expertise needed in those areas? All these information are readily available on the internet.

If you really do have "passion", you've already looked it up and wouldn't be asking qns like these.