Should fresh grads apply to jobs which need experience? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Should fresh grads apply to jobs which need experience?

Old 29-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by balduus View Post
I will be graduating soon from NTU in January (competing my ComScience course in 3.5years). i have been applying for jobs since November and i taken advice from a few friends. They told me to ignore the 'experience needed' column when applying for junior level executive jobs.

I would have attended around 3 interviews, and 2 of them which need experience ended up in me being told off a bit harshly for not having the required experience. One job the interviewer asked me why did i not read the job description carefully, which clearly states 1-2 years of experience needed, and told me off for wasting his time. I did reply that i could pick up skills quickly and am willing to settle for a lower pay, however the interviews did not end good.

I do understand most interviewers don't read my resume beforehand, one even remarked that he didn't know i had yet to graduate, and i am under qualified for the job as i have no degree in my hand.

I just want to know if as a fresh grad should i only be applying to jobs that do not need experience? That leaves me with those jobs like MA or Graduate programs which looks very non-technical. I'm a technical guy with little interest in management, so i choose to stay away from those jobs.

P.S
A little bit about me: NTU Com Sci graduate soon (2nd lowers). No other technical certs but im studying for a CCNA cert.
No you should not. It is a waste of time.

Sure, you can blame HR for being lazy never read your CV etc, but ultimately the loser will still be you - you got your hopes high, waste time & money to go down for an interview that was doomed to fail even before it starts.

Generally companies will not entertain fresh grads if they already say they want experience. Mid career jobs usually require people to hit the ground running on the first day of work, they are not interested in training a freshie OJT.

Old 29-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Sure, you can blame HR for being lazy never read your CV etc, but ultimately the loser will still be you - you got your hopes high, waste time & money to go down for an interview that was doomed to fail even before it starts.

Generally companies will not entertain fresh grads if they already say they want experience. Mid career jobs usually require people to hit the ground running on the first day of work, they are not interested in training a freshie OJT.
When i was a fresh grad i got a job that needed 1 yr of experience. Like someone else said, 1-2 years should be ok fresh grad's can apply. Just be willing to accept a paycut

Old 29-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

Having been involved in the hiring process at my coy, I think that managers generally do not mind fresh grads applying for posts that require 1-2 yrs of experience but only if you have at least some of the necessary skills or internships or did something very relevant in school.

This is what I would expect of a fresh grad who applies for such a position. If you haven't, you would come across as someone who is simply taking a potshot and I will likely annoy my boss for picking your resume. My 2 cents woth.

Old 29-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

NTU graduate here too. I applied for a job which requested for 2-3 years work experience in a big mnc (fortune 500). Was offered the position even though I was a fresh grad. Had 6 months (irrelevant) internship experience + 1.5 years part-time student job in school - not sure if that made a difference.
Old 29-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Same here. Local Uni grad. I applied for a job that requires a few years of experience (1-3 years) and got the job. There were other applicants with job experience at the interview too. Sometimes it really boils down to luck and chemistry with the interviewers. I feel there's no harm applying. I mean most of the time if they don't want you at all, they'll just ignore your resume, not that much effort on their part. Also, sometimes they might prefer someone with experience but not be able to find one. So... Just try
Old 30-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

There's no harm in applying for jobs that call for 1-2 years experience. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to push the blame to "HR" for calling you for an interview. More often than not, it is the hiring manager who makes the decision to shortlist candidates for an interview and something in your profile must have stood out. It is more likely that:
(1) the interviewer was neither HR nor the hiring manager (ie the person who makes the final hiring decision, not necessarily the supervisor for this position, depending on office politics). It could have been a peer, team lead or even internal client who has been the designated "first interviewer". OR
(2) It was a calculated move to see how you would respond, especially if thinking on your feet and/or tactful push-back is important for a candidate to be successful in this role/org.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 30-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

joke... u graduate liao anot? or r u some old uncle thats really detached from watz really happening?
Old 30-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

Fresh Grads have nothing to lose from attending interviews, gain some interview experience after all

Unlike some of us working adults have to apply leave to go down interview, then its really waste time
Old 31-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Unregistered

When I was in the same situation last time, I only applied for diploma entry jobs. Due to te fact that my highest qualification then was diploma though I'm just months away from holding the degree
Old 31-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
When I was in the same situation last time, I only applied for diploma entry jobs. Due to te fact that my highest qualification then was diploma though I'm just months away from holding the degree
Did you get into a Dip job eventually? What was the pay like?

Im a fresh grad and i heard employers looking for dip will reject you because they know you are using the company as a stepping stone