Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone working in Recruit express?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymark1987 View Post
I am surprised no one has yet to write a complaint in the internet about this recruitment firm. (Star Recruitment) When I first started working, boss said unpaid training but could not give me a timeline. I saw a few young guys working for 2 months with no pay or paid only $200.

I requested to have a employment letter signed so I was signed on 4th May 2016. Basic agreed was $2500 but was told 30% would be deducted if I do not hit $10 000 sales target and no commission will be given even if i hit $9000 sales. It was not elaborated in details on how ONE DAY'S wage would be deducted DAILY if we do not send in 10 resumes per day and a further deduction of pay on minor mistakes on job advertisements posting.

I was not happy with the talking down culture and felt that it was almost impossible to hit $10 000 sales target monthly since all the existing clients were given to a Malay lady. And I realised they were the only recruitment firm who will deduct basic pay and review sales on weekly/monthly basis. Most reviewed on quarterly basis with no deduction of basic. So I decided i will work until 31st May to get 1 month salary.

In the end, I received only $270 for a MONTH'S wage. I was shocked and angered. They deducted so much from my pay. I was practically left with nothing, not even enough to cover transportation. I worked 10 to 12 hrs per day, sent 8 to 10 resumes daily consistently (except on a few days <5 days), clinched a new client and closed in a few thousand of sales.

I called Steven (boss) and he shouted at me saying I was not a good worker. I don't mean to defend or praise myself, but I think I was the better ones among the rest. I worked fast. Even if I didn't hit $10 000 sales target, it was unethical of him to deduct my pay to such extent. He played with numbers in calculation of basic pay and deductions. How could an employer deduct one day's wage ($120+) for not sending 10 resumes?

And he likes to have weekly challenge. If we don't hit the weekly challenge, he would expect us to treat all the colleagues or give money to him. I felt very uncomfortable with this arrangement because it reflected a lack of kindness and generosity on his part. We are already having 30% pay cut with no commission and we still got to compensate him?? I have been working for 10 years and I have never come across such nonsense. He likes to talk down and humiliate people too, stripping off peoples' self esteem. RUDE.

He employs foreign workers on social visit pass and just reimburse a few hundred (to shut their mouth). All the employees have left. 2 remained but I doubt they will stay seeing how others like me have been treated. I am writing this and I hope this post will spread so that people will not go thru the same as I did.

Please do NOT work for STAR RECRUITMENT. They are basically just a bunch of cheats who plays with the contract and law, taking advantage of people who are sincere employees. I have lodged a complaint against them but please spread the word. When I saw the payslip, I cried for many hours because I felt shortchanged and humiliated. I lost my brother 7 months ago. Thats why I left my previous teaching job (been there 7 years). I wanted to join the corporate world to have a change of environment but I did not expect such a treatment from my 1st corporate job. Going to work was a dread because daily we faced verbal insults and sarcasm. Don't make the same mistake as I did.

An ethical and humane person would not put sand in a person's rice bowl (An ancient Indian saying). We all just want to work hard and earn our deserved wages.

Company: Star Recruitment Ptd Ltd
Owner: Steven Chan and Charlotte
I have never heard of Star Recruitment, but do be aware that what you are claiming can be construed as libel if they want to take legal action against you.

Having said that, if what you have described is true, I believe you may have a case against them. Go to MOM and lodge a complain against them. Given that the government clamps down pretty hard on unethical business practices, they will definitely be investigated.

On a side note, go to hardwarezone's EDMW forum and post this there. CSI there is incredible.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM

kittymark1987 is on a distinguished road
Default Star Recruitment

I have my pay slip to back up all the ridiculous deductions they made. My ex colleague also faces the same plight as me. Everything I said in the post is the truth. My ex colleague has also filed a complaint against employment of foreigners without Work pass.

Some of the candidates under these foreigners have met the foreigner "recruiter". They called up candidates and arranged interviews - all these work can only be done when a person is CEI registered with working pass. One American lady worked 1 month for them before she took the CEI exam. Her S pass application was declined so she returned home.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have my pay slip to back up all the ridiculous deductions they made. My ex colleague also faces the same plight as me. Everything I said in the post is the truth. My ex colleague has also filed a complaint against employment of foreigners without Work pass.

Some of the candidates under these foreigners have met the foreigner "recruiter". They called up candidates and arranged interviews - all these work can only be done when a person is CEI registered with working pass. One American lady worked 1 month for them before she took the CEI exam. Her S pass application was declined so she returned home.
Dude, move on with life.

This industry is like that, you either toughen up and thrive or just exit if you don't think it's your cup of tea. Ranting WOT on forums ain't gonna help.

Actually this STAR is not that bad in the sense at least they gave you a high basic salary of 2.5k. Some recruitment agencies I joined before didn't even have any basic, just commission driven and some of my ex-colleagues end up begging for an advance of few hundred $ from the boss just to tide over for few weeks.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:20 PM

kittymark1987 is on a distinguished road
Default Star Recruitment

I think u may need to read my original post. They have agreed (in writing) to pay $2500 basic but do you know how many deductions they made and how much I received at the end of the month? I only had $270 for working daily 9am to 9pm Mon to Friday for the whole of May. I was a corporate full time employee, not freelance or self employed. Even a domestic worker aren't allowed to have her pay cut - there has to be a bottom line in which an employer can deduct your pay. Deducting an employees' salary beyond a a certain % is illegal.

If you are saying self employed financial consultant who earn only commission - that's fair since they work flexible hours at their own pace and it has been agreed on purely commission.

I think your reply was very insensitive. Have you tried putting yourself in my situation and understand the insult we went thru? I am not putting this post up to rant as what you said. I'm posting this up so that other people do not fall into the same trap as I did.

U mentioned u have worked for worse firms. By "moving on" and letting go of these employers who took advantage of people's hard work is telling the world that such behaviour is acceptable.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think u may need to read my original post. They have agreed (in writing) to pay $2500 basic but do you know how many deductions they made and how much I received at the end of the month? I only had $270 for working daily 9am to 9pm Mon to Friday for the whole of May. I was a corporate full time employee, not freelance or self employed. Even a domestic worker aren't allowed to have her pay cut - there has to be a bottom line in which an employer can deduct your pay. Deducting an employees' salary beyond a a certain % is illegal.

If you are saying self employed financial consultant who earn only commission - that's fair since they work flexible hours at their own pace and it has been agreed on purely commission.

I think your reply was very insensitive. Have you tried putting yourself in my situation and understand the insult we went thru? I am not putting this post up to rant as what you said. I'm posting this up so that other people do not fall into the same trap as I did.

U mentioned u have worked for worse firms. By "moving on" and letting go of these employers who took advantage of people's hard work is telling the world that such behaviour is acceptable.
I am the guy that replied to your original post. I like your drive in getting justice served. Lodge a complain against them to MOM as I had said. Had a look at the company's website and it's so amateurish.

Post this on EDMW, there's a larger audience there that can help to spread the word.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

You don't seem to understand the manpower industry well. A lot of people on commissions and deductible advances are employed by the company. It has nothing to do with free lance or what, it's a common industry practice.

I grant that the guy was being dishonest by framing the whole thing as a guaranteed salary, but in essence what he is doing is essentially an advance which is widely practiced in the industry.

Everyday there are a few agencies that get registered or wound up, you are just wasting your time and emotion ranting and not being able to move on. By the time you even CSI or figure out how to initiate your claims, this STAR probably already long shut down and in its place another SUN company will take its place.

This whole industry is like that, people come people go. Company register, company dissolved. For your own sake just let go and move on with life. Getting on the moral high horse and trying to frame yourself as a grievance fighter won't do you any good.

Even if you "expose" them in some online forum, you really think anyone gives a flying fish about this? At most you are going to get a few cheap encouragements egging you to "teach them a lesson". I also know how to talk cheap especially when it's not me investing the time, money and emotions to do that. Everyone will just move on and insiders will reach the same conclusion as I did.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This whole industry is like that, people come people go.
Lol to the above post. Gosh, I didn't know that HR businesses are like these. As for the original poster, yup, I doubt he is getting his $2,250 back ( $2,500 - $250 ) back.

Broadly speaking, I'm also learning how to identify such businesses that come and go. And it makes me study deeper on the models of such companies. Do they set up, rake in some cash, then quit? Are their practices legal? Do they know themselves that they are running the scam?

Take this for example. I see lots of pool investment business set up by someone who claims to have a wealth of experience in big companies. They promise to take money from individuals and then invest together in property.

But oddly enough, when I dig deeper into their profiles, what they claim in to on the website is TOTALLY different from what I see on their LinkedIn.

LinkedIn: Led a sales team. (Totally different from investing)

My point is that learn how to discern the legit business from the fake ones. Everyone can set up a business and set a facade of being accomplished and doing well. But deep down, they could be lazy people who just want to take the cash, avoid liabilities and close down.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Lol to the above post. Gosh, I didn't know that HR businesses are like these. As for the original poster, yup, I doubt he is getting his $2,250 back ( $2,500 - $250 ) back.

Broadly speaking, I'm also learning how to identify such businesses that come and go. And it makes me study deeper on the models of such companies. Do they set up, rake in some cash, then quit? Are their practices legal? Do they know themselves that they are running the scam?

Take this for example. I see lots of pool investment business set up by someone who claims to have a wealth of experience in big companies. They promise to take money from individuals and then invest together in property.

But oddly enough, when I dig deeper into their profiles, what they claim in to on the website is TOTALLY different from what I see on their LinkedIn.

LinkedIn: Led a sales team. (Totally different from investing)

My point is that learn how to discern the legit business from the fake ones. Everyone can set up a business and set a facade of being accomplished and doing well. But deep down, they could be lazy people who just want to take the cash, avoid liabilities and close down.
Actually the business model is very simple if you think of it as telesales outsourcing biz. Basically just hire many people on commissions and have them call as many people as they can, then take a cut of the salaries in fees and commissions.

Because this sort of business require very little start up cost (just a laptop, mobile and mouth), there are 2000+ manpower agencies in Sg alone. They deal with all sorts of segments and many are just small outfits <10 people. Many don't even have proper offices and just rent temp cubicles and meeting rooms when needed.

The guy can go sue or online CSI or whatever, but when the heat's too hot, they simply close down and 1 week later get another guy to setup a new company and cycle repeat. Many of them start off with big ones like Kelly, Manpower, GMP, RE - gain 1-2 years exp then just setup their own shop with a few colleagues. This whole industry is very shady if you ask me.

That's why I ask that guy to just move on and forget about his so called "salary" which is really just an advance in disguise. He's never going to get that back and no amount of emo-ing online / offline's gonna change the fact.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Agents from RE are the worse lots.
No joke.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually the business model is very simple if you think of it as telesales outsourcing biz. Basically just hire many people on commissions and have them call as many people as they can, then take a cut of the salaries in fees and commissions.

Because this sort of business require very little start up cost (just a laptop, mobile and mouth), there are 2000+ manpower agencies in Sg alone. They deal with all sorts of segments and many are just small outfits <10 people. Many don't even have proper offices and just rent temp cubicles and meeting rooms when needed.

The guy can go sue or online CSI or whatever, but when the heat's too hot, they simply close down and 1 week later get another guy to setup a new company and cycle repeat. Many of them start off with big ones like Kelly, Manpower, GMP, RE - gain 1-2 years exp then just setup their own shop with a few colleagues. This whole industry is very shady if you ask me.

That's why I ask that guy to just move on and forget about his so called "salary" which is really just an advance in disguise. He's never going to get that back and no amount of emo-ing online / offline's gonna change the fact.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of those high profile tour agency cases recently. Those tour agencies knew they were in financial holes yet kept selling tour packages and tried to cash in on the Chinese New Year crowd particularly before closing down short after.

However, I'm not so sure whether a previous employer of A company closes it down, then opens B company, will absolve him of all liabilities of A company. Unless the fella has declared bankrupt.

Since the original poster has an employment contract and pay slip on hand, I think he does have a case against this employer. I am a HR practitioner and I can say according to the Employment Law, all these deductions from his company are illegal. He should have a talk with MOM and see if MOM will be able to assist him to recover some of these money back.