Be a commodities trader - Page 11 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Be a commodities trader

Old 24-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

Let me share my experience as a trader as well. Currently working in one of the major trading houses purely as a physical trader. I have been doing this for around 2 years since graduate and I deal in one of the refined oil products. To provide you a background of myself, I was an undergraduate of NTU ( non-biz major ). My GPA was just average, - 3.6/5.0.

I didn't know how but I was lured into the idea of joining a BB S&T position. when I was an undergraduate. I took part in many trading competitions and I even did an internship as a voice broker, networking with the market making big boys over official company events. However after graduation, I was obviously unable to secure an interview, let alone a job, due to the competitiveness of the S&T program as well as my sub-par GPA.

Therefore I made the switch to try to become a physical trader and the rest is history. I got to say I was VERY lucky to land a job. They hired me purely on my outgoing personality plus a little bit of internship experience as a broker and 'trader'.

On hindsight, I'd actually prefer my job now compared to the notion as a paper trader. I get to travel to places I had never been before ( M.E, S.A) and I get to interact with humans rather than computer screens.

Monthly gross salary wise, I would say it is rather decent. Slightly above the market I must say. However my bonus (exc AWS) for 2014 FY was 7.0 months.

Old 26-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me share my experience as a trader as well. Currently working in one of the major trading houses purely as a physical trader. I have been doing this for around 2 years since graduate and I deal in one of the refined oil products. To provide you a background of myself, I was an undergraduate of NTU ( non-biz major ). My GPA was just average, - 3.6/5.0.

I didn't know how but I was lured into the idea of joining a BB S&T position. when I was an undergraduate. I took part in many trading competitions and I even did an internship as a voice broker, networking with the market making big boys over official company events. However after graduation, I was obviously unable to secure an interview, let alone a job, due to the competitiveness of the S&T program as well as my sub-par GPA.

Therefore I made the switch to try to become a physical trader and the rest is history. I got to say I was VERY lucky to land a job. They hired me purely on my outgoing personality plus a little bit of internship experience as a broker and 'trader'.

On hindsight, I'd actually prefer my job now compared to the notion as a paper trader. I get to travel to places I had never been before ( M.E, S.A) and I get to interact with humans rather than computer screens.

Monthly gross salary wise, I would say it is rather decent. Slightly above the market I must say. However my bonus (exc AWS) for 2014 FY was 7.0 months.

which faculty u grad from NTU? so i assume starting pay was above 3k?

Old 27-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Starting was around civil servant's . I was in NTU Econs, graduated in 2013.

Old 28-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Starting was around civil servant's . I was in NTU Econs, graduated in 2013.
Hi there, I have just graduated from NUS Econs and I am trying to break into the physical trading business but to no avail. My grades are average and I did not take on the honours track due to personal reasons. As for my internship experience, I am exposed to both energy research and logistics management on top of econs as my major.

Can you kindly offer me some advice on how to breakout from my current situation?
Old 29-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

To be honest, I don't really think having an honors degree matters a lot. Unless you are talking about those ultra 'branded' and competitive programs offered by Shell, BP, Vitol , Glencore etc.

Being a physical trader is all about your interpersonal skills, how you carry yourself in front of people, the things you say when you are drunk and of course, your business development and sales skills.

I'm lucky that with my so-so grades I get to join a relatively renowned company. My timing was right my boss hired me as he expanded his trading books and needed me to manage his accounts and develope more trading channels in the region. I wasn't in some graduate trainee or MA program but I'm glad I wasn't in it as well. At least I get to groom my 'babies' instead of being rotated after 6 months and the satisfaction from getting regular orders from your clients is really indescribable. Of course your bonus is pegged to your p&l as well as your other qualitative measurables. If you are wondering, I am not wearing a skirt and neither is my boss or gay 😊.

What is your background though? Your internship/ working Exp more specifically.

My company is hiring some traders for a newly established desk. Maybe I can point you in the right direction of your exp is ok.
Old 29-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
To be honest, I don't really think having an honors degree matters a lot. Unless you are talking about those ultra 'branded' and competitive programs offered by Shell, BP, Vitol , Glencore etc.

Being a physical trader is all about your interpersonal skills, how you carry yourself in front of people, the things you say when you are drunk and of course, your business development and sales skills.

I'm lucky that with my so-so grades I get to join a relatively renowned company. My timing was right my boss hired me as he expanded his trading books and needed me to manage his accounts and develope more trading channels in the region. I wasn't in some graduate trainee or MA program but I'm glad I wasn't in it as well. At least I get to groom my 'babies' instead of being rotated after 6 months and the satisfaction from getting regular orders from your clients is really indescribable. Of course your bonus is pegged to your p&l as well as your other qualitative measurables. If you are wondering, I am not wearing a skirt and neither is my boss or gay 😊.

My company is hiring some traders for a newly established desk. Maybe I can point you in the right direction of your exp is ok.
I believe a great portfolio of experience and willingness to learn will beat having honours any time, and not starting off at those "branded" firms may very well be a better decision.

It is rare to have superiors who value individuals who work hard and compensate them accordingly. It seems like you have found a good place to stay I must say. This is reality and yes, good thing you are not wearing a skirt and thankfully your boss is straight

Perhaps it will be better for me to write you my background via email? It will not be wise for you to announce your email so here is mine: [email protected]. Please drop me a mail at your convenience so I can correspond with you there. TIA!!

Old 29-07-2015, 09:17 PM

villan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

trading exp required?
Old 31-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Hi there, it seems like you have been relatively occupied and I thought I could explain, in brief, my prior experiences here. I was previously involved in the policy making side of energy research, where the section I had my stint studied the trend and the selection process (CBA) of raw energy input (including renewables), as well as the on-going discussions at the UN conferences. I am also exposed to the role of a ship charterer in bulk carriers to be exact, although I am also aware of how other commodities (LNG/ LPG/ Crude/ Containers) are transported.

Regardless of whether my portfolio suits any opening, may I ask how should an individual kick start their career in this business? I must admit my exposure is limited, very limited in fact, and I will very much love to take on a position which will allow me to learn the fundamentals well. What do you advise?

*[email protected] is for the public domain, hope you'll understand!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 PM

CommodityTraderSingapore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi there, I have just graduated from NUS Econs and I am trying to break into the physical trading business but to no avail. My grades are average and I did not take on the honours track due to personal reasons. As for my internship experience, I am exposed to both energy research and logistics management on top of econs as my major.

Can you kindly offer me some advice on how to breakout from my current situation?
Honestly, it is very hard to break into the industry outright as a physical trader. Majority of the people had to go through some sort of 'ground work', especially in cargo/shipping operations and risk management. Finance related knowledge is also important.

I would recommend that you take on any position that is available in the physical trading shop and work your ass off to learn as much as you can and maneuver yourself into a position that you are looking for.

Also, just to note, you do not need to be a trader to live a comfortable standard of living. An experienced operator or risk manager can easily take home 10k/mth before bonus, and do not have to be faced with PnL stress.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodityTraderSingapore View Post
Honestly, it is very hard to break into the industry outright as a physical trader. Majority of the people had to go through some sort of 'ground work', especially in cargo/shipping operations and risk management. Finance related knowledge is also important.

I would recommend that you take on any position that is available in the physical trading shop and work your ass off to learn as much as you can and maneuver yourself into a position that you are looking for.

Also, just to note, you do not need to be a trader to live a comfortable standard of living. An experienced operator or risk manager can easily take home 10k/mth before bonus, and do not have to be faced with PnL stress.
Hi there, it will be difficult without a doubt, not to mention that I am still a fresh grad with bits and pieces of intern experience. I'll say I desire to utilise what I know/ have seen rather than jumping into any field because of monetary needs. In this case I'm glad I actually have supply chain/ shipping background.

As a newbie to the working world I wish to aim a little higher while I'm still young, free of obligations and commitments. But that's a good point you've brought up, one does not need to become a trader to live a comfortable life. Nonetheless thanks for your valuable input, it really helped!