Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Assistant Director position in Government Agencies (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4804-assistant-director-position-government-agencies.html)

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:35 AM

Know that many civil service and stats board suffer from title inflation.

EG, some stat board, fresh graduate enter as AD.

Know what are their requirements. If they are happy with a 5 years exp, no way they accept someone with a 10.

Thank you

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:37 AM

8k expected to 5.8k.. That's a really big drop!

5.8k for AD is considered very low. Junior managers in pte or even public may be earning higher than that. But then bonus for AD level should be a lot, so who knows your overall annual package may still be higher than what u r currently getting. Pay in ministries are more or less fixed, so no pointin trying too hard to negotiate.

Anyway, all the best in your interview.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63977)
It's quite unusual to negotiate for a pay higher than what is stated as your expected salary. But I suppose if you are selected, there's no harm negotiating for a higher pay, citing your pay cuts. Though, even with $5.8k, your annual package would already be higher than what you are getting now, as civil service pays quite good bonus, mimimally 3 months taking into account AWS, variable bonus, and performance bonus.

Yes my concern willbe that they offer even lesser. Will they like quote 3 mths bonus n divide and offer even lower then $5.8k base? I mean its after all a "manager" AD position with experience. Otherwise, why would they even call me up for an interview? Cantbe paying me like $4k right?

I have a frd who told me that career@gov runs a 'robotic' system that filters first via "salary" code. So if we ask for more then the filter amount, eg. $6k for this particular statboard, than I will not even get my application to the HR even if I have a PHD. lol

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63979)
8k expected to 5.8k.. That's a really big drop!

5.8k for AD is considered very low. Junior managers in pte or even public may be earning higher than that. But then bonus for AD level should be a lot, so who knows your overall annual package may still be higher than what u r currently getting. Pay in ministries are more or less fixed, so no pointin trying too hard to negotiate.

Anyway, all the best in your interview.

I was asking $8k. not drawing $8k persay.

So yes, I kinda like desperate to leave my company becos of their current unpredictable financial standings.

Thank you for your input. Really appreciate. ;) Now is how I face the music next week. Planning my negotiation speech lol. I dun wana sound too desperate to them.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 12:40 PM

I believe they will look at your annual package. Assume your current has aws @$6,500 and u applying for $5,800 with aws and average 3 mths variable bonus. That is 16.6% increment which is valid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63981)
I was asking $8k. not drawing $8k persay.

So yes, I kinda like desperate to leave my company becos of their current unpredictable financial standings.

Thank you for your input. Really appreciate. ;) Now is how I face the music next week. Planning my negotiation speech lol. I dun wana sound too desperate to them.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63980)
Yes my concern willbe that they offer even lesser. Will they like quote 3 mths bonus n divide and offer even lower then $5.8k base? I mean its after all a "manager" AD position with experience. Otherwise, why would they even call me up for an interview? Cantbe paying me like $4k right?

I have a frd who told me that career@gov runs a 'robotic' system that filters first via "salary" code. So if we ask for more then the filter amount, eg. $6k for this particular statboard, than I will not even get my application to the HR even if I have a PHD. lol

I'm not sure how they will take into account the higher bonuses they pay in deriving the monthly salary to offer. But I think they also look at parity with officers of the same level of experience in the organisation. This should work in your advantage, since you have so many years of experience, and most of your peers in the civil service would already be earning at least $6k, unless they feel that your experience is not relevant. So, think of ways to explain how your experience and skills would help in your prospective job.

Another thing they would consider is how far your expected salary is to the salary ceilng of the grade. Normally, they would not place somebody too near the salary ceiling.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63994)
I'm not sure how they will take into account the higher bonuses they pay in deriving the monthly salary to offer. But I think they also look at parity with officers of the same level of experience in the organisation. This should work in your advantage, since you have so many years of experience, and most of your peers in the civil service would already be earning at least $6k, unless they feel that your experience is not relevant. So, think of ways to explain how your experience and skills would help in your prospective job.

Another thing they would consider is how far your expected salary is to the salary ceilng of the grade. Normally, they would not place somebody too near the salary ceiling.

Agree. But many years ago, I went thru a public service job interview. The HR was quick to slash my asking salary citing that the bonus will easily cover what I asked for. Quite scary at the way they proposed the package. I guess cos they have a long queue of interviewees waiting to be called up.

Thanks for your input too.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63997)
Agree. But many years ago, I went thru a public service job interview. The HR was quick to slash my asking salary citing that the bonus will easily cover what I asked for. Quite scary at the way they proposed the package. I guess cos they have a long queue of interviewees waiting to be called up.

Totally agree on this. I also encounter such scenario a few times at my applications with some SB. I guess the salary range are fixed and hr are just doing their jobs to hire the right person within the range that they are instructed.

Unregistered 06-06-2015 05:49 PM

Hi all,

I have 3 years Compliance exp in AML filtering with a foreign bank.
Local uni (2nd lower). True blue Singaporean with NS.

Currently, Base = 4.8 K, bonus = 1.5 months.

Should i apply for MAS banking dept/CMI
- How much to expect?
- Associate rank?
- MX 12/11?
- 2:2 degree ok?

Unregistered 07-06-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63997)

depends on e salary range for ur job la... i was offered another 10% higher than my expected salary which was already 15% higher than my previous drawing salary...