Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Assistant Director position in Government Agencies (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4804-assistant-director-position-government-agencies.html)

Unregistered 28-01-2015 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62007)
I work in a ministry and total 7 years experience also, current total package inclsuive of bonus only 87k, to exceed 100k in just 7 years usually need consistent B+ & above performance.

What's your age (2015)? NS?

When did you enter mx11?

Unregistered 28-01-2015 10:19 PM

Guy served NS

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ257 (Post 61993)
They offered me <$6500. Personally I feel that it is low.
Currently I am getting $5700 (base) + $300 (allowance), and my company gives 6 mths bonus (including AWS).
I highly doubt MAS will be able to match the bonus.

Also, looking at this as reference from 2011:
2011 Civil Service Salary Range
Job grade: MX10
Job title: Assistant Director, Deputy Director
Pay scale: S$6,350 – S$9,050 / S$9,051 – S$10,400

Job grade: MX11
Job title: Manager, Assistant Director
Pay scale: S$4,100 – S$6,160 / S$6,161 – S$7,190

A MX11 AD is already earning minimum $6161. I guess by now will be higher.
Or is this reference too optimistic?

Hi bro,

In your case, it's pretty clear you should reject the offer as the increment is less than 10% (also, take note not all companies pay AWS, so you should incorporate the AWS into your "base" salary as well)

I've 7.5 yrs working exp as well (but in finance) and currently earning 7.1k basic (excluding my aws and this yr's increment). My spouse's fren, a IT consultant, 8+yrs exp making 120k all in (MNC)

As some pointed out, your pay may be higher than many public sector guys but I think besides the risks of changing a job (such as getting a bad boss, culture mis-fit etc), you want to be compensated appropriately (at least +10%) so that you can focus on doing your job well when you join them, and not keep thinking about how they have low-balled you, especially if the workload gets demanding or high, which will make you feel like moving again soon due to resentment. (i've taken a pay cut before and the feeling is terrible when the work gets tough)

There are many listed MNCs out there who can give you a better offer given IT grads are always in demand due to your skillsets. Don't be in a hurry to take the offer -

- as they may improve their offer if you reject them first time

- if you haven't received this yr's increment and bonus from your current firm

- unless your current boss is driving you crazy

- unless maybe the stat board offers VERY good work life balance or sponsor a Masters? Im not sure

Lastly, don't be a job hopper for a small/non-existent increment. Aim to stay long enough (3-5yrs minimum) with an employer that rewards a loyal employee with learning/promotion opportunities and you can do well in the long run (ie don't take up an offer you're unhappy with and move again in a short timeframe)

Just sharing some mistakes i made and lessons i learnt

Cheers

Unregistered 29-01-2015 11:32 AM

A couple of questionable points

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62020)
Hi bro,

In your case, it's pretty clear you should reject the offer as the increment is less than 10% (also, take note not all companies pay AWS, so you should incorporate the AWS into your "base" salary as well)

Not really, it is very common for pte sector to take pay cuts up to 20% to join public sector. Everyone has different needs and priorities and individual circumstance, there is no hard and fast rule that says you should reject if increment <10%.

Quote:

There are many listed MNCs out there who can give you a better offer given IT grads are always in demand due to your skillsets.
How would you know that? You have no idea on the guy's CV history or his skillsets other than the fact it has something to do with IT.

The IT function has a few niche areas where market is good, but it is also undeniable that large patches of IT are suffering from severe comeptition from foreginers and job restructurings.

You should refrain from such blanket statements unless you really know exact details of his skillset and the market he operates in.

Quote:

- as they may improve their offer if you reject them first time
Might work for the private sector, but doesn't work for gov organizations.

Unregistered 13-02-2015 12:45 PM

It seems like most people here either don't work in the CS or don't know what they are talking about.

Anyway I have talked to the HR of MAS. These are the job titles and typical career progression for graduates, fyi.

1st year: Training Officer (TO)
2nd year: Senior Officer 1
4th yr: Senior Officer 2 (Associate)
7th yr or more: Senior Officer 3 (Assistant Director)

Unregistered 13-02-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62690)
It seems like most people here either don't work in the CS or don't know what they are talking about.

Anyway I have talked to the HR of MAS. These are the job titles and typical career progression for graduates, fyi.

1st year: Training Officer (TO)
2nd year: Senior Officer 1
4th yr: Senior Officer 2 (Associate)
7th yr or more: Senior Officer 3 (Assistant Director)

Which HR person did you talk to? Was it someone high up Director & above?

TBH I am quite surprised HR say & commit this sort of thing with precise timelines of career progression for a graduate. Anyway I don't think the timelines for Associate and AD is correct.

You certainly do not need to work in MAS for 4 years to reach Associate level. Neither is the promotion to AD @ 7 years accurate. 7 years is possible, but only for small minority of high performers or special skillsets they hire from outside. Most people reach AD in MAS usually need about 9-12 years of relevant experience.

If what the HR say to you is accurate, I should be seeing a lot of 29-32 yr old male / and 27-30 yr old female associates, this seems older than the MAS associates I know who are mostly in their mid 20s. Similary for the AD side, I should be seeing a lot of 32 yr old male & 30 yr old female ADs. Again this doesn't really tally as most MAS junior ADs I've seen are all mid to late 30s.

Unregistered 14-02-2015 01:45 AM

Thats even weirder. From casual conversation with a contact, I was told that you'll reach AD in your 3rd year in MAS. Thereafter it's a long long route to DD, which you may only hit after 12-15 years.

Unregistered 14-02-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62717)
Thats even weirder. From casual conversation with a contact, I was told that you'll reach AD in your 3rd year in MAS. Thereafter it's a long long route to DD, which you may only hit after 12-15 years.

Pls don't talk rubbish if you do not have enough evidence to back your claims.

Unregistered 14-02-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62697)
Which HR person did you talk to? Was it someone high up Director & above?

TBH I am quite surprised HR say & commit this sort of thing with precise timelines of career progression for a graduate. Anyway I don't think the timelines for Associate and AD is correct.

You certainly do not need to work in MAS for 4 years to reach Associate level. Neither is the promotion to AD @ 7 years accurate. 7 years is possible, but only for small minority of high performers or special skillsets they hire from outside. Most people reach AD in MAS usually need about 9-12 years of relevant experience.

They mentioned to me it is the typical timeline. It certainly does not mean that that you will definitely promote to AD after 7 years.

I will be joining them as AD with ~7.5 years experience.
I am quite sure my degree (2nd upper honours) and skill sets are taken into consideration too.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 10:51 AM

Hope someone could help advice me.

I have been applying for an AD position in this particular statboard for months.

1st time applying, I applied for salary $8k.

No news for weeks.

2nd time saw a new position at same statboard, I applied $7k.

Again no news for weeks.

3rd time saw the same position at same statboard, I told myself I wana get interviewed! So I applied $5.8k!!!

Then 1 month later, HR called me up for an interview next week!!

So I sincerely hope someone will help me with this interview. I know that at the end of the session, they will discuss about the topic of salary.

My Background:
Deg holder. Done NS. 7 years of related work experience. I have worked for 15 years. I am 40 years old this year.

Currently my workplace had salary cut for 2 years because company is generally not doing well. My salary is cut till $6.5k and no bonus for 2 years too.

My qns is can I negotiate for a basic salary of $6.5k pm? (I read in this thread that AD position basic is $6k+ already, will they pay me more than I asked of $5.8k? or will they even bargain down? I suspect they granted me interview cos of my low asking) I really wish to join civil service for job stability and a regular income without worrying if the company will go bust. So that is my direction at the moment. Hope someone can give me a gd advice. ;)

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:23 AM

It's quite unusual to negotiate for a pay higher than what is stated as your expected salary. But I suppose if you are selected, there's no harm negotiating for a higher pay, citing your pay cuts. Though, even with $5.8k, your annual package would already be higher than what you are getting now, as civil service pays quite good bonus, mimimally 3 months taking into account AWS, variable bonus, and performance bonus.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:35 AM

Know that many civil service and stats board suffer from title inflation.

EG, some stat board, fresh graduate enter as AD.

Know what are their requirements. If they are happy with a 5 years exp, no way they accept someone with a 10.

Thank you

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:37 AM

8k expected to 5.8k.. That's a really big drop!

5.8k for AD is considered very low. Junior managers in pte or even public may be earning higher than that. But then bonus for AD level should be a lot, so who knows your overall annual package may still be higher than what u r currently getting. Pay in ministries are more or less fixed, so no pointin trying too hard to negotiate.

Anyway, all the best in your interview.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63977)
It's quite unusual to negotiate for a pay higher than what is stated as your expected salary. But I suppose if you are selected, there's no harm negotiating for a higher pay, citing your pay cuts. Though, even with $5.8k, your annual package would already be higher than what you are getting now, as civil service pays quite good bonus, mimimally 3 months taking into account AWS, variable bonus, and performance bonus.

Yes my concern willbe that they offer even lesser. Will they like quote 3 mths bonus n divide and offer even lower then $5.8k base? I mean its after all a "manager" AD position with experience. Otherwise, why would they even call me up for an interview? Cantbe paying me like $4k right?

I have a frd who told me that career@gov runs a 'robotic' system that filters first via "salary" code. So if we ask for more then the filter amount, eg. $6k for this particular statboard, than I will not even get my application to the HR even if I have a PHD. lol

Unregistered 12-03-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63979)
8k expected to 5.8k.. That's a really big drop!

5.8k for AD is considered very low. Junior managers in pte or even public may be earning higher than that. But then bonus for AD level should be a lot, so who knows your overall annual package may still be higher than what u r currently getting. Pay in ministries are more or less fixed, so no pointin trying too hard to negotiate.

Anyway, all the best in your interview.

I was asking $8k. not drawing $8k persay.

So yes, I kinda like desperate to leave my company becos of their current unpredictable financial standings.

Thank you for your input. Really appreciate. ;) Now is how I face the music next week. Planning my negotiation speech lol. I dun wana sound too desperate to them.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 12:40 PM

I believe they will look at your annual package. Assume your current has aws @$6,500 and u applying for $5,800 with aws and average 3 mths variable bonus. That is 16.6% increment which is valid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63981)
I was asking $8k. not drawing $8k persay.

So yes, I kinda like desperate to leave my company becos of their current unpredictable financial standings.

Thank you for your input. Really appreciate. ;) Now is how I face the music next week. Planning my negotiation speech lol. I dun wana sound too desperate to them.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63980)
Yes my concern willbe that they offer even lesser. Will they like quote 3 mths bonus n divide and offer even lower then $5.8k base? I mean its after all a "manager" AD position with experience. Otherwise, why would they even call me up for an interview? Cantbe paying me like $4k right?

I have a frd who told me that career@gov runs a 'robotic' system that filters first via "salary" code. So if we ask for more then the filter amount, eg. $6k for this particular statboard, than I will not even get my application to the HR even if I have a PHD. lol

I'm not sure how they will take into account the higher bonuses they pay in deriving the monthly salary to offer. But I think they also look at parity with officers of the same level of experience in the organisation. This should work in your advantage, since you have so many years of experience, and most of your peers in the civil service would already be earning at least $6k, unless they feel that your experience is not relevant. So, think of ways to explain how your experience and skills would help in your prospective job.

Another thing they would consider is how far your expected salary is to the salary ceilng of the grade. Normally, they would not place somebody too near the salary ceiling.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63994)
I'm not sure how they will take into account the higher bonuses they pay in deriving the monthly salary to offer. But I think they also look at parity with officers of the same level of experience in the organisation. This should work in your advantage, since you have so many years of experience, and most of your peers in the civil service would already be earning at least $6k, unless they feel that your experience is not relevant. So, think of ways to explain how your experience and skills would help in your prospective job.

Another thing they would consider is how far your expected salary is to the salary ceilng of the grade. Normally, they would not place somebody too near the salary ceiling.

Agree. But many years ago, I went thru a public service job interview. The HR was quick to slash my asking salary citing that the bonus will easily cover what I asked for. Quite scary at the way they proposed the package. I guess cos they have a long queue of interviewees waiting to be called up.

Thanks for your input too.

Unregistered 12-03-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63997)
Agree. But many years ago, I went thru a public service job interview. The HR was quick to slash my asking salary citing that the bonus will easily cover what I asked for. Quite scary at the way they proposed the package. I guess cos they have a long queue of interviewees waiting to be called up.

Totally agree on this. I also encounter such scenario a few times at my applications with some SB. I guess the salary range are fixed and hr are just doing their jobs to hire the right person within the range that they are instructed.

Unregistered 06-06-2015 05:49 PM

Hi all,

I have 3 years Compliance exp in AML filtering with a foreign bank.
Local uni (2nd lower). True blue Singaporean with NS.

Currently, Base = 4.8 K, bonus = 1.5 months.

Should i apply for MAS banking dept/CMI
- How much to expect?
- Associate rank?
- MX 12/11?
- 2:2 degree ok?

Unregistered 07-06-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63997)

depends on e salary range for ur job la... i was offered another 10% higher than my expected salary which was already 15% higher than my previous drawing salary...

Unregistered 07-06-2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67737)
Hi all,

I have 3 years Compliance exp in AML filtering with a foreign bank.
Local uni (2nd lower). True blue Singaporean with NS.

Currently, Base = 4.8 K, bonus = 1.5 months.

Should i apply for MAS banking dept/CMI
- How much to expect?
- Associate rank?
- MX 12/11?
- 2:2 degree ok?

Ups for reply

Unregistered 07-06-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67784)
Ups for reply

i honestly dunno

Unregistered 05-11-2015 08:17 PM

Does anyone know how much an AD in stat boards like JTC earn?

Unregistered 08-11-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74731)
Does anyone know how much an AD in stat boards like JTC earn?

Interested to know for Senior Manager at jtc too

Unregistered 09-11-2015 07:28 AM

This is the 2015 salary scale (unverified) for the civil service. Stats boards should pay roughly the same.

Pay grade: MX9 (Superscale)
Job title: Deputy Director, Director
Salary scale: S$11,110 – S$15,280 / S$15,280 – S$17,370

Pay grade: MX10
Salary scale: S$7,000 – S$9,980 / S$9,980 – S$11,470

Pay grade: MX11
Salary scale: S$4,740 – S$7,115 / S$7,115 – S$8,305

Pay grade: MX12
Job title: Assistant Manager, Manager
Salary scale: S$2,945 – S$5,925

Pay grade: MX13
Job title: Management Executive
Salary scale: up to S$3,000 for fresh graduates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74848)
Interested to know for Senior Manager at jtc too

Unregistered 20-11-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74853)
This is the 2015 salary scale (unverified) for the civil service. Stats boards should pay roughly the same.

Pay grade: MX9 (Superscale)
Job title: Deputy Director, Director
Salary scale: S$11,110 – S$15,280 / S$15,280 – S$17,370

Pay grade: MX10
Salary scale: S$7,000 – S$9,980 / S$9,980 – S$11,470

Pay grade: MX11
Salary scale: S$4,740 – S$7,115 / S$7,115 – S$8,305

Pay grade: MX12
Job title: Assistant Manager, Manager
Salary scale: S$2,945 – S$5,925