Bell curve grading used by statutory board for employees - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Bell curve grading used by statutory board for employees

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Smart888 is on a distinguished road
Default Bell curve grading used by statutory board for employees

Currently , bell curve grading is used by statutory board for grading employees, not sure about other sector. This system implied that definitely certain percentage of the employees will fall in the lowest grade (no increment and performance bonus) and some will get the highest grade.

From my opinion, this bell curve system by default assumed that some employees will definitely cannot perform and trust me ,those who fall in the lowest grade will repeatedly get it again subsequently.


Let me quote an example, a job like a clerk, I assumed that he/she work from 9am and knocked off at 6pm sharp daily with just doing data entry. He/she is just doing her job and not doing something extra.With the bell curve grading, this employee will be awarding a low grade with no increment and performance bonus. Do you think this is fair ? This implies that every year she is getting a pay cut due to inflation if the salary stay stagnant.
That is a Chinese saying , 没功劳有苦劳.

What your view?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 125
in3deep is on a distinguished road
Default

sama sama lah

my friend in Credit suisse get 2% increment even though he top 20% performers... even lesser den inflation... means salary is reducing as well

if Invetment bank act stingy like mamashop even for top performers, what more u expect from a Stat board?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As I understand it, it is meant to generate within each employee that desire to innovate and do their respective jobs better - not merely to meet the requirements, but to exceed it. Your salary is what you deserve for meeting 100% of your assigned tasks (whether reasonable or not). The bonuses and salary increments are what are given to you, if you are seen to be doing above and beyond your pay grade. With the bell curve, it creates a competitive atmosphere where "above and beyond" isn't the sole determinant, but something that is judged in relation to your peers.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart888 View Post
Currently , bell curve grading is used by statutory board for grading employees, not sure about other sector. This system implied that definitely certain percentage of the employees will fall in the lowest grade (no increment and performance bonus) and some will get the highest grade.

From my opinion, this bell curve system by default assumed that some employees will definitely cannot perform and trust me ,those who fall in the lowest grade will repeatedly get it again subsequently.


Let me quote an example, a job like a clerk, I assumed that he/she work from 9am and knocked off at 6pm sharp daily with just doing data entry. He/she is just doing her job and not doing something extra.With the bell curve grading, this employee will be awarding a low grade with no increment and performance bonus. Do you think this is fair ? This implies that every year she is getting a pay cut due to inflation if the salary stay stagnant.
That is a Chinese saying , 没功劳有苦劳.

What your view?
Those in the same grade will be grouped together for cross-assessment. So, a clerk will be assessed with other clerks of the same level, and not with senior officers or those in management.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The bell curve grading system is a flawed systems.

My company is using it.

Eg, top 5% get A, next 10% get B, last 5% get D, the rest all get C.

D = 0 bonus
C = 3.x bonus
B = 4.x bonus
A = 5.x bonus

of course if you get A, your up coming annual increment will be the highest at 5+%
B = 4+%
C = 3+%
D = 0%

same for promotion, A grader will get a higher promotional increment % than B, B>C ...etc


For a fairer system, bonus should be pay out equally throughout the board....ie everyone get 3 months of bonus regardless of gradings, those with better grading to be promoted faster or give them more annual increment.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't think there's anything wrong for the bell curved grading. The grading, or annual appraisal is used to evaluate the performance and inevitably will lead to a ranking from top performer to bottom. If the company use a very low threshold and everybody passes, then from the employer's perspective, they can obviously and most like will expect more achievement from the staff as a whole. So they'll raise the threshold and eventually some employee will fall short to that. It is the nature of capitalism.

However, while I think the grading follow a bell curve is reasonable, I think the bonus/increment difference can be designed better to really motivate all staff. And money shall not be the only result from each year's appraisal. Employees should be given chances to do things they're better at if they didn't perform in their current post. And another thing I'm not seeing being practiced but I think should be, is that for the first 1-2 years, the employee's appraisal should also be reflected in the appraisal of his/her supervisor and the management that hires him/her. This will motivate the management to really put in some effort training and supervising their staff.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The bell curve grading system is a flawed systems.

My company is using it.

Eg, top 5% get A, next 10% get B, last 5% get D, the rest all get C.

D = 0 bonus
C = 3.x bonus
B = 4.x bonus
A = 5.x bonus

of course if you get A, your up coming annual increment will be the highest at 5+%
B = 4+%
C = 3+%
D = 0%

same for promotion, A grader will get a higher promotional increment % than B, B>C ...etc


For a fairer system, bonus should be pay out equally throughout the board....ie everyone get 3 months of bonus regardless of gradings, those with better grading to be promoted faster or give them more annual increment.
I think if D is getting 2.xbonus and 2% instead of 0, will be a better option. there's still enough incentive to perform better next year, but won't feel so hurt and humiliated. Also, it may help to not just look at one years performance. if D in two consecutive years, then maybe 0 increment. but for a first time D, shall still give chance lah.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart888 View Post
Currently , bell curve grading is used by statutory board for grading employees, not sure about other sector. This system implied that definitely certain percentage of the employees will fall in the lowest grade (no increment and performance bonus) and some will get the highest grade.

From my opinion, this bell curve system by default assumed that some employees will definitely cannot perform and trust me ,those who fall in the lowest grade will repeatedly get it again subsequently.


Let me quote an example, a job like a clerk, I assumed that he/she work from 9am and knocked off at 6pm sharp daily with just doing data entry. He/she is just doing her job and not doing something extra.With the bell curve grading, this employee will be awarding a low grade with no increment and performance bonus. Do you think this is fair ? This implies that every year she is getting a pay cut due to inflation if the salary stay stagnant.
That is a Chinese saying , 没功劳有苦劳.

What your view?
as an employer, this worker is not making any money for me. why should i give a raise? inflation cost my business expenses to increase as well. if every employee asks for a raise and eat into my profits, why should i take risks and provide services to the public?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Smart888 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong for the bell curved grading. The grading, or annual appraisal is used to evaluate the performance and inevitably will lead to a ranking from top performer to bottom. If the company use a very low threshold and everybody passes, then from the employer's perspective, they can obviously and most like will expect more achievement from the staff as a whole. So they'll raise the threshold and eventually some employee will fall short to that. It is the nature of capitalism.

However, while I think the grading follow a bell curve is reasonable, I think the bonus/increment difference can be designed better to really motivate all staff. And money shall not be the only result from each year's appraisal. Employees should be given chances to do things they're better at if they didn't perform in their current post. And another thing I'm not seeing being practiced but I think should be, is that for the first 1-2 years, the employee's appraisal should also be reflected in the appraisal of his/her supervisor and the management that hires him/her. This will motivate the management to really put in some effort training and supervising their staff.
All of you still did not get it.

This system by default sentences 3% to 5% of the employees to the lowest grade with no increment and performance bonus. Yearly 5% D grader, as years go by, more employees will get no increment. This is demoralising and make no sense at all. I only agree that better performance should get more recognition, the rest should get increment too due to inflation , especially those lower and middle income group.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Smart888 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
as an employer, this worker is not making any money for me. why should i give a raise? inflation cost my business expenses to increase as well. if every employee asks for a raise and eat into my profits, why should i take risks and provide services to the public?
If I am the boss, I will give him one more chance and will sack him if he still can't perform the following year.

Again, it depend on the job scope, u can't expect a clerk to bring in profit as this should be from the sales and marketing department.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Statutory Board Salary/Increment/Bonus MaximusPrime Income and Jobs 90 29-05-2017 10:31 AM
Civil Service Performance grading-Any lecturer got 'D' Smart888 Income and Jobs 23 22-06-2013 12:05 AM
Civil Service Performance grading-Anyone got 'D' uturn Income and Jobs 2 14-06-2013 12:03 AM
ang moh boss writes about singaporean employees warning Income and Jobs 5 06-03-2012 04:26 PM
can someone explain the CEP grading miwashi Income and Jobs 4 23-08-2011 10:02 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,403 Replies, 2,008,383 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,047 Replies, 3,842,702 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 74,065 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,139 Replies, 1,332,157 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)...
9 Replies, 5,653 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,460 Replies, 979,256 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
861 Replies, 257,824 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,583 Replies, 3,070,397 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,691 Replies, 5,912,601 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,002 Replies, 1,143,820 Views
Equity Research jobs
2 Replies, 214 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 45,154 Views
High loan approval for business...
3 Replies, 593 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,765 Replies, 828,685 Views
How to start a small business ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,167 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
457 Replies, 316,734 Views
Third Party Contract From... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 2,477 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
334 Replies, 113,734 Views
Should I switch to a higher paying... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 3,174 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,394 Replies, 588,395 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
224 Replies, 136,750 Views
Prospects of an economics degree ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 12,264 Views
Passive income ideas? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 18,294 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,716 Replies, 1,130,213 Views
Possibilities, salary, etc. in the...
4 Replies, 1,043 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 3,967 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 93,613 Views
PCB design course
2 Replies, 143 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
156 Replies, 24,201 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 224,458 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2