Unhappy in new job - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Unhappy in new job

Old 11-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Unregistered

Why do you think they see you as a threat? Because you are showing them up by doing things they do not want to do? Keep your head down and do your own work la.

Let me sum up what I see so far as to your ideal job:

- family-oriented (ie understanding boss that let's you run off as and when you need to)
- allow you to come in late, yet knock off early to catch the shuttle
- pay you better than anyone else
- a noisy friendly environment that isn't serious and businesslike

Make the decision, want money, want family time, or want happiness? You can only choose two.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Jinnous is on a distinguished road

Wow not sure where u came to the conclusion about the summary. It's not what I have meant. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnous View Post
Wow not sure where u came to the conclusion about the summary. It's not what I have meant. Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Where ar? Here lah (all your words), here's a reminder for you:

- family-oriented (ie understanding boss that let's you run off as and when you need to)
Quote:
That's y looking for a family oriented job cuz I hv a young child
- allow you to come in late, yet knock off early to catch the shuttle
Quote:
But my current workplace, the boss is quite strict, esp with punctuality and other things and I find that it's very restrictive.
Quote:
I have to leave earlier like 10 mins to catch the transport and someone just commented I left so early
- pay you better than anyone else
Quote:
And another thing is that private sector is unable to pay what I'm getting now lor. Even another statboard also say I'm overqualified. How to move?
- a noisy friendly environment that isn't serious and businesslike
Quote:
we were quite flexible and noisy environment.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 PM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This TS is a female la... That's y looking for a family oriented job cuz I hv a young child. I only hv diploma, so no, I'm not in some senior managerial position. My current colleagues there are a few unmarried ladies in their 40s. And I can feel the resistance towards me. Am I considered a threat? Seriously if I know... But I cannot turn back e time now.
I prefer to stay in government industry, or at least in e education industry because it is family oriented. And another thing is that private sector is unable to pay what I'm getting now lor. Even another statboard also say I'm overqualified. How to move?
If you are considering quitting, do take note that you will really feel the reduction in household income if you're not prepared for it. What seemed cheap/affordable previously will make you think twice as you keep applying for new jobs and get anxious.

Just for your reference, in a previous previous job, it took me more than 6 months to get my next job while I was still working. The next move I made took me 5 months of full-time job searching with no steady income in the meantime. Thankfully I have no dependents to support so it made it just a little bit better.

You will have to brace yourself if you want to get out of your current job. Its likely not going to be easy from the information you have provided so far.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
If you are considering quitting, do take note that you will really feel the reduction in household income if you're not prepared for it. What seemed cheap/affordable previously will make you think twice as you keep applying for new jobs and get anxious.

Just for your reference, in a previous previous job, it took me more than 6 months to get my next job while I was still working. The next move I made took me 5 months of full-time job searching with no steady income in the meantime. Thankfully I have no dependents to support so it made it just a little bit better.

You will have to brace yourself if you want to get out of your current job. Its likely not going to be easy from the information you have provided so far.
ya man.. a company that doesn't force u to clock in and out is already a very good company IMO.. it means they trust you and you should not take advantage of their trust.

nowadays, almost every company is buying RFID machines and forcing ppl to clock in n out.. be glad that you have this advantage TS. coming on time and leaving on time is the basic requirement of any job
Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Honestly this is what it comes across to me as well. Most of your complaints so far are all very trivial matters and seem more like you have unrealistic expectation than any real problem with the company.

Take a look at the list of your complaints so far yourself:

1. Boss too inflexible, want you to be punctual for work
2. Boss warns you not to play office politics
3. Having lunch by yourself
4. Colleagues remarking why you go off early everyday
5. Quiet environment
6. Nobody chit chat and talk loudly and informally in office
7. Colleagues feel you are a threat because you are showing them the “right way” (dubious and unverifiable claim)
8. Colleagues unmarried old women so don’t understand your family needs

You try and justify your expectation for “family oriented” company by claiming you are female and have a kid. Excuse me, that about describes most Singapore workers of both sexes. Do you really think if you join some company where your colleagues are married with kids and people will tolerate you coming in late and zipping off early everyday under the pretext of being flexible? Or that somehow everyone will be just hanging around talking loudly during office hours?

As a civil servant in MOE I also offended in how you say that’s why you want to join government sector in education industry because they allow you to do all the things you are now complaining.

I am not a teacher and just a school support staff, though my school provide a bit of flexibility in terms of work hours, they do expect if you come in late you are expected to go off late. Not like what you are doing now, come in on time complain boss not flexible and go off early to catch bus.

Also whenever the need arise once or twice a week, we are expected to work 1-2 hours beyond normal hours either by coming in early or going off late. Office environment is also quiet and everybody just concentrate mind their own business and occasionally someone might pop over to ask some work related stuff or we attend departmental meetings. My school administration office is certainly not noisy where people just hang around making informal talk.

I don’t know where you are getting all these strange ideas about working in the public education sector, maybe you were lucky in your previous job you got a slack/don’t care boss, but please don’t paint all of us as if we are all like you.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ya man.. a company that doesn't force u to clock in and out is already a very good company IMO.. it means they trust you and you should not take advantage of their trust.

nowadays, almost every company is buying RFID machines and forcing ppl to clock in n out.. be glad that you have this advantage TS. coming on time and leaving on time is the basic requirement of any job
In my industry (legal), they expect the lawyers to come on time, and not leaving on time (i.e. leaving only around midnight). Quite irritated with this rubbish.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Default Quiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In my industry (legal), they expect the lawyers to come on time, and not leaving on time (i.e. leaving only around midnight). Quite irritated with this rubbish.
Same here. I got in to work on Wednesday at 9am and left the office at 7am on Thursday! Slept a couple of hours then reported back to work. Been like that for the past few weeks.

Practice is like that I guess. Lulls and peaks.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

TS problem is very simple, basically she had a good job & boss that was very slack and relax everybody 1 happy family kind. Backside itchy want more money and career progression, jump out of her comfort zone and then realize others outside don't take this kind of crap.

To me unless you beg/cry/crawl your way back to your previous job, very unlikely you will find back that kind of environment. Just try and adapt to the real working world and stop complaining all the time.

Also I don't think you are being ostracized because you are so good/hardworking that others see you as a threat. Could be your eq or image turns off others, try and blend in with the rest.

Think logically: you are few weeks into the job, know almost nothing and zero connection, no support from boss, no political backing, junior executive (I assume?), so far average or below average career progression, have a tendency of going off before you are suppose to, why should any of your colleagues think you are a serious threat? Could be you thinking too highly of yourself.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Unregistered

Flexibility cuts both ways - if your boss starts being as "flexible" with your salary as you are with your time at work, 10 minutes late coming in every day and 10 minutes early knocking off adds up to 3% of your work hours every month - would you accept that?