how to deal with a lowball offer - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




how to deal with a lowball offer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 28
samantha_wong is on a distinguished road
Default how to deal with a lowball offer

Hi,
I just landed a job with a local bank. I have been without job for a while. I think the HR is trying to lowball me. They are paying me less than what I was drawing before I lost my job. Very bluntly this HR manager told me 'take it or leave it. we know that you have no choice in todays market'.

Of course i need a job. but at least the local banks should not lowball employees. if i start my job dissatisfied how effectiveness will i be? what do others say?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What is the offer and what was your last drawn?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 28
samantha_wong is on a distinguished road
Default lowball offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is the offer and what was your last drawn?
Last drawn: $4300 pm, jobless since Aug 2014
Offered $3800.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

they are not trying to lowball u, is jus demand and supply. they dare to say take it or leave it means they can easily get another candidate to replace u.

u can choose to be productive and show them that u are worth more. OR, u can let ur dissatisfaction affect ur productivity and get replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 335
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_wong View Post
Hi,
I just landed a job with a local bank. I have been without job for a while. I think the HR is trying to lowball me. They are paying me less than what I was drawing before I lost my job. Very bluntly this HR manager told me 'take it or leave it. we know that you have no choice in todays market'.

Of course i need a job. but at least the local banks should not lowball employees. if i start my job dissatisfied how effectiveness will i be? what do others say?


One thing i learnt about HR and salary, it is not a personal decision while it may feel like it . eg based on what you said, you think the HR and or its manager decided to low ball you.

HR in most organisations are just doing their job. There are many scenarios that HR has to consider eg

Suppose you are in that bank and new hire just join with higher pay with similar skill set ? Wouldnt you also blame HR for not keeping internal equity?

Finally, you mentioned effectiveness and job dissatisfaction.
Do u mean that you are already dis satisfied with your job because of your offer ? and prefer to be jobless ?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Fair comment.

I find that at the end of the day the guy deciding on your pay package and job is another employee. Unless he is the owner of the business, he does not stand to gain financially. He may be saving cost for the company as part of his KPI to keep his unit expenses low, but he is not gaining anything directly.

I would advise that you dont take this job if you are going in with a negative mindset. Wait until you are desperate enough for a job / money then get back to work. Then I believe your attitude would be one of gratitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
they are not trying to lowball u, is jus demand and supply. they dare to say take it or leave it means they can easily get another candidate to replace u.

u can choose to be productive and show them that u are worth more. OR, u can let ur dissatisfaction affect ur productivity and get replaced.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Such a sucky attitude. This type of attitude is not going to get you anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
One thing i learnt about HR and salary, it is not a personal decision while it may feel like it . eg based on what you said, you think the HR and or its manager decided to low ball you.

HR in most organisations are just doing their job. There are many scenarios that HR has to consider eg

Suppose you are in that bank and new hire just join with higher pay with similar skill set ? Wouldnt you also blame HR for not keeping internal equity?

Finally, you mentioned effectiveness and job dissatisfaction.
Do u mean that you are already dis satisfied with your job because of your offer ? and prefer to be jobless ?
yea i think so too. Any HR professional would have seat down to discuss with relevant parties ie hiring manager, dept head etc to come up with an offer. Internal equity is also something out of their control. Maybe you would like to find out the rate for that position first to determine if they are low balling you or if its the legit market rate
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 412

u have been without a job for months and ppl are offering u 3.8k and you still think it is being lowball, WOW!

if you are holding onto a good job and want to move on, then that can be considered lowball, but this ? Like the HR said, it's really take it or leave it for you.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Jennifer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
u have been without a job for months and ppl are offering u 3.8k and you still think it is being lowball, WOW!

if you are holding onto a good job and want to move on, then that can be considered lowball, but this ? Like the HR said, it's really take it or leave it for you.
My 2 cents:

a. HR is right is lowballing the salary. But this creates discontent. Samantha may quit before long.

b. Salary should be paid based on the job content and candidate's abilities. Just becoz someone is unemployed today does not meen "push salary down".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To take up the offer or not maki Income and Jobs 20 28-03-2012 07:45 AM
what's your view on this? good deal? zzwxy Income and Jobs 4 08-11-2011 09:58 PM
Should I take the offer? roshin Income and Jobs 21 24-09-2011 11:50 AM
Opinions on this offer mummychew Income and Jobs 0 10-12-2010 10:18 PM
Opinions on offer InfoSecGuy Income and Jobs 7 19-11-2010 04:31 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,098 Replies, 2,843,627 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
309 Replies, 285,592 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,997 Replies, 7,070,018 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
365 Replies, 258,366 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,229 Replies, 952,876 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
916 Replies, 598,893 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
153 Replies, 226,441 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,135 Replies, 947,742 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,676 Replies, 2,182,919 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,462 Replies, 2,512,053 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 88,883 Views
Starting pay for fresh grad? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 36,870 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
489 Replies, 457,917 Views
FREE $10 + $25 NTUC Fairprice... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,563 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,675 Replies, 946,826 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office...
1 Replies, 791 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,069 Replies, 3,870,613 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
239 Replies, 156,886 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development...
9 Replies, 4,168 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 176,949 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,252 Replies, 2,095,218 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,034 Replies, 247,561 Views
jobs at Tech companies
3 Replies, 2,981 Views
Applying for jobs within govt...
5 Replies, 397 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 106,734 Views
OKX SuperNova Graduate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 15,519 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 196,236 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,677 Replies, 3,294,927 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
962 Replies, 648,861 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,335 Replies, 1,150,677 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2