Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   how to deal with a lowball offer (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4774-how-deal-lowball-offer.html)

samantha_wong 26-11-2014 02:24 PM

how to deal with a lowball offer

Hi,
I just landed a job with a local bank. I have been without job for a while. I think the HR is trying to lowball me. They are paying me less than what I was drawing before I lost my job. Very bluntly this HR manager told me 'take it or leave it. we know that you have no choice in todays market'.

Of course i need a job. but at least the local banks should not lowball employees. if i start my job dissatisfied how effectiveness will i be? what do others say?

Unregistered 26-11-2014 03:07 PM

What is the offer and what was your last drawn?

samantha_wong 26-11-2014 03:51 PM

lowball offer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59314)
What is the offer and what was your last drawn?

Last drawn: $4300 pm, jobless since Aug 2014
Offered $3800.

Unregistered 26-11-2014 04:52 PM

they are not trying to lowball u, is jus demand and supply. they dare to say take it or leave it means they can easily get another candidate to replace u.

u can choose to be productive and show them that u are worth more. OR, u can let ur dissatisfaction affect ur productivity and get replaced.

lazyplane 26-11-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samantha_wong (Post 59311)
Hi,
I just landed a job with a local bank. I have been without job for a while. I think the HR is trying to lowball me. They are paying me less than what I was drawing before I lost my job. Very bluntly this HR manager told me 'take it or leave it. we know that you have no choice in todays market'.

Of course i need a job. but at least the local banks should not lowball employees. if i start my job dissatisfied how effectiveness will i be? what do others say?

One thing i learnt about HR and salary, it is not a personal decision while it may feel like it . eg based on what you said, you think the HR and or its manager decided to low ball you.

HR in most organisations are just doing their job. There are many scenarios that HR has to consider eg

Suppose you are in that bank and new hire just join with higher pay with similar skill set ? Wouldnt you also blame HR for not keeping internal equity?

Finally, you mentioned effectiveness and job dissatisfaction.
Do u mean that you are already dis satisfied with your job because of your offer ? and prefer to be jobless ?

Unregistered 26-11-2014 05:13 PM

Fair comment.

I find that at the end of the day the guy deciding on your pay package and job is another employee. Unless he is the owner of the business, he does not stand to gain financially. He may be saving cost for the company as part of his KPI to keep his unit expenses low, but he is not gaining anything directly.

I would advise that you dont take this job if you are going in with a negative mindset. Wait until you are desperate enough for a job / money then get back to work. Then I believe your attitude would be one of gratitude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59318)
they are not trying to lowball u, is jus demand and supply. they dare to say take it or leave it means they can easily get another candidate to replace u.

u can choose to be productive and show them that u are worth more. OR, u can let ur dissatisfaction affect ur productivity and get replaced.

Unregistered 26-11-2014 05:20 PM

Such a sucky attitude. This type of attitude is not going to get you anywhere.

Unregistered 26-11-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 59320)
One thing i learnt about HR and salary, it is not a personal decision while it may feel like it . eg based on what you said, you think the HR and or its manager decided to low ball you.

HR in most organisations are just doing their job. There are many scenarios that HR has to consider eg

Suppose you are in that bank and new hire just join with higher pay with similar skill set ? Wouldnt you also blame HR for not keeping internal equity?

Finally, you mentioned effectiveness and job dissatisfaction.
Do u mean that you are already dis satisfied with your job because of your offer ? and prefer to be jobless ?

yea i think so too. Any HR professional would have seat down to discuss with relevant parties ie hiring manager, dept head etc to come up with an offer. Internal equity is also something out of their control. Maybe you would like to find out the rate for that position first to determine if they are low balling you or if its the legit market rate

Unregistered 26-11-2014 05:55 PM

u have been without a job for months and ppl are offering u 3.8k and you still think it is being lowball, WOW!

if you are holding onto a good job and want to move on, then that can be considered lowball, but this ? Like the HR said, it's really take it or leave it for you.

Jennifer 26-11-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59326)
u have been without a job for months and ppl are offering u 3.8k and you still think it is being lowball, WOW!

if you are holding onto a good job and want to move on, then that can be considered lowball, but this ? Like the HR said, it's really take it or leave it for you.

My 2 cents:

a. HR is right is lowballing the salary. But this creates discontent. Samantha may quit before long.

b. Salary should be paid based on the job content and candidate's abilities. Just becoz someone is unemployed today does not meen "push salary down".