Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How long does reference check usually takes? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4771-how-long-does-reference-check-usually-takes.html)

ramenrider 26-11-2014 12:38 PM

How long does reference check usually takes?

Hi guys, I am currently in the midst of a hiring process with a MNC based in Singapore. I was notified two weeks ago by their HR that they are proceeding with reference check and my referees have got back to me that have been contacted. Prior to this, I have gone through two formal interviews with their senior management and completed an online assessment at their request.

I would like to ask how long does reference check (or even background checks) usually takes? Has anyone has any experience not gotten the job even after a positive reference check?

Thanks for reading this and comments!

Unregistered 26-11-2014 01:26 PM

how many references you provide? if all your references are available, then very fast. within 3 days or 5 days can finish.

samantha_wong 26-11-2014 02:32 PM

In Bank of Amrika, I hear tht reference checks take upto 3 months to complete.

Unregistered 26-11-2014 02:53 PM

Quite fast, depending on HR. Mine took a few days and upon good references, I got offered.

Unregistered 26-11-2014 06:14 PM

have you gotten verbal offer and negotiated on the package etc?

John_Lim 08-12-2014 04:12 PM

background check company returns false report

Hi,
As a part of my background check, the company has returned a false report. They mention that I never worked for one of the companies that has since folded up, when in fact I did work for this company. I have the CPF contribution history to prove this.
Now I risk losing the job offer because of a lax background check.
What to do?

Unregistered 08-12-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Lim (Post 59817)
Hi,
As a part of my background check, the company has returned a false report. They mention that I never worked for one of the companies that has since folded up, when in fact I did work for this company. I have the CPF contribution history to prove this.
Now I risk losing the job offer because of a lax background check.
What to do?

If you have a CPF contribution history with that company, submit proof to either the company that you have applied to, or to the background checks company directly.

Unregistered 08-12-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramenrider (Post 59302)
Hi guys, I am currently in the midst of a hiring process with a MNC based in Singapore. I was notified two weeks ago by their HR that they are proceeding with reference check and my referees have got back to me that have been contacted. Prior to this, I have gone through two formal interviews with their senior management and completed an online assessment at their request.

I would like to ask how long does reference check (or even background checks) usually takes? Has anyone has any experience not gotten the job even after a positive reference check?

Thanks for reading this and comments!

The duration of background checks depends on the number of different countries you have worked or studied in through your entire career, and the specific countries concerned. The govt bodies in each country have different TAT.

in3deep 08-12-2014 08:59 PM

btw

if background check company asks you for salary/cpf statement/income tax statement is it legal?

its private and confidential and none of their business right?

Unregistered 10-12-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 59830)
btw

if background check company asks you for salary/cpf statement/income tax statement is it legal?

its private and confidential and none of their business right?

no such thing as legal or not legal. it's your freedom of right whether you want to do it or not. if u don't give them any information, it would be harder for them to quote you a compensation package. it may be below of what you are currently making.