Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Polytechnic Trainee Bank Officers Program, Branch Banking (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4704-polytechnic-trainee-bank-officers-program-branch-banking.html)

engineerregret 07-11-2014 08:20 AM

Polytechnic Trainee Bank Officers Program, Branch Banking

Anyone knows what this program is about ? I posted a thread before about how I wanted to switch careers from engineering to other fields . This seems like a viable option . But it seems like an entry level jobs , responsibilities stated sounds like those customer service people on the counter like secretary . Does it really prepare you for the future or it jump starts your career or you are just doing a secretary/clerk job ?
Any reply is appreciated ( including those meant to shoot me down one , I want the hard truth :O )

Unregistered 07-11-2014 09:00 AM

Let me start off. I was a PTBO before. It is an entry level job for poly fresh grad or ORD personnel with poly-level education and less than 1 yr of working experience. It is a "fast-track" program which the PTBO would start from teller role to service ambassador and subsequently to a banking officer or personal financial consultant in a span of 3 yrs. You will start off as a clerk first then promote to junior supervisor in half a yr time after passing the probation and then to bank officer rank after one yr.

Usually you will have to remain as a teller for 2 yrs plus before being able to proceed to the next role and how fast the promotion is subjected to business decision or your CSM's willingness to push for you.

The hard truth, as a teller main duty is to count money day in and out especially if you are posted to a high customer volume branch like TPY or Tampines, you can expect to work OT very often due to additional paperwork after the branch close for the day, In fact going home on time becomes a privalage. Please be prepared to work in the weekend as well because of Sunday banking hours in most branches and face nasty customers who snaps.

I believe it is a good platform for fresh poly grad to enter into the banking industry. It provides tough training especially in the job environment beneficial for personal development especially for young people.

engineerregret 07-11-2014 10:25 AM

I see . So this means taking up this role means no time for part time degree d ? Does the necessity to upgrade oneself serve as a viable reason to be able to leave work on time ? Or the bank is really that busy such that they really don't allow that ? If so are there other options to join the banking industry ? Sorry for asking so many questions :/

Unregistered 07-11-2014 03:31 PM

another option for engineers, go study masters in financial engineering and join the bank as a quant. Or join a big 4 accounting firm as a exotic product valuer.

My friend with a IT engineering degree did just that. Masters in FE and joined big 4, now with a local bank doing exotic product valuation and pricing (bonds, options and other derivatives).

Unregistered 07-11-2014 04:56 PM

maybe i not familiar with branch banking or what, but why is this program considered fast track when it takes 3 years to train you to be a financial consultant a.k.a. consumer banking salesman or banking officer a.k.a bank teller?

temp111 07-11-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58542)
Let me start off. I was a PTBO before. It is an entry level job for poly fresh grad or ORD personnel with poly-level education and less than 1 yr of working experience. It is a "fast-track" program which the PTBO would start from teller role to service ambassador and subsequently to a banking officer or personal financial consultant in a span of 3 yrs. You will start off as a clerk first then promote to junior supervisor in half a yr time after passing the probation and then to bank officer rank after one yr.

Usually you will have to remain as a teller for 2 yrs plus before being able to proceed to the next role and how fast the promotion is subjected to business decision or your CSM's willingness to push for you.

The hard truth, as a teller main duty is to count money day in and out especially if you are posted to a high customer volume branch like TPY or Tampines, you can expect to work OT very often due to additional paperwork after the branch close for the day, In fact going home on time becomes a privalage. Please be prepared to work in the weekend as well because of Sunday banking hours in most branches and face nasty customers who snaps.

I believe it is a good platform for fresh poly grad to enter into the banking industry. It provides tough training especially in the job environment beneficial for personal development especially for young people.

How much is the pay if u dun mind me asking?

Unregistered 08-11-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58560)
maybe i not familiar with branch banking or what, but why is this program considered fast track when it takes 3 years to train you to be a financial consultant a.k.a. consumer banking salesman or banking officer a.k.a bank teller?

That's why i said "fast-track" and also why the reason I left.

Unregistered 08-11-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temp111 (Post 58565)
How much is the pay if u dun mind me asking?

The pay is roughly, 2.6k plus plus gross after adding the allowances. which is pretty good for a fresh dip grad. If you are already working somewhere else, i'll advise you to look elsewhere, coz it's not worth it at your level.