Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Shld I give up looking for work? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4558-shld-i-give-up-looking-work.html)

Chuan-Jin 08-10-2014 06:58 PM

Shld I give up looking for work?

Since I left my first job, i have a job gap that is coming close to 3 years.

Every month, I would send tonnes of applications, in hope of getting interviews.

During interviews, I ace the written tests and handled the questions well. However, when attention is drawn to my job gap, it wasn't very favourable.

I tried many ways to frame or explain the situation but I think the interviewers most of time "killed me" on the spot, and after making a mark on their papers, proceed to eliminate me from the field.

Since I couldn't make the cut for so long, I wonder if I should continue to waste time doing what I am doing now.

Unregistered 08-10-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuan-Jin (Post 57479)

Every month, I would send tonnes of applications, in hope of getting interviews.

During interviews, I ace the written tests and handled the questions well. However, when attention is drawn to my job gap, it wasn't very favourable.

I tried many ways to frame or explain the situation but I think the interviewers most of time "killed me" on the spot, and after making a mark on their papers, proceed to eliminate me from the field.

Since I couldn't make the cut for so long, I wonder if I should continue to waste time doing what I am doing now.

I have a 6 months job gap.

I have been unable to secure a job.

All the recruiters ask me about it and they never ever offer me a job.

What's the problem with a 6 months job gap!?

flyingpanman 08-10-2014 08:42 PM

then how did you survive for 3 years ?

If you give up, then how are you going to survive ?

Unregistered 08-10-2014 10:49 PM

Have you consider going into insurance sales or financial planning? At least it's better than not having a job

Unregistered 08-10-2014 11:07 PM

do more network and set up informational interviews

Unregistered 09-10-2014 12:56 AM

Update your particulars in any job portal (including corporate) and apply to jobs that you are qualified or interested. This will help. I believe you can get your job eventually.

I myself was out of job for 1.1 years, yet I managed to secure a job at global mnc, with 25% increase to 4k+ from my last drawn pay.

Never ever give up!! I faced some pressure and negativity too when i sent too many resumes and none returned. Interviews failed. Savings depleting.

But as I now already working in this job for 2 mths, i still receiving calls for interviews (from govt agencies/other MNCs ridiculously or recruitment agencies)

So keep updating/ sending.

Good lucks

Unregistered 09-10-2014 11:06 AM

Ask yourself what is your competency level, skillsets you possess, knowledge that you have, is there a demand? If yes, technically, you should not have problem landing a job but probably not the remuneration you are expecting.

If no, identify the gap between your current situation and your target job expectation. You have to rely on your capabilities to close the gap and reach your target.

Unregistered 10-10-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

I see many F&B outlooks looking for people. If you are willing to do anything, there will always be a job available. Even the gong cha outlet near my place is looking to hire people.

Unregistered 10-10-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

I see many F&B outlooks looking for people. If you are willing to do anything, there will always be a job available. Even the gong cha outlet near my place is looking to hire people.

flyingpanman 10-10-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57562)

true, there are actually quite a lot of $7-$10/hr now that are in desperate need of people, wont starve to death if you don't have much commitments.

problem with those jobs is that it does nothing good for the person in the long term :(