Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Singtel Management Associate Program 2015 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4555-singtel-management-associate-program-2015-a.html)

Unregistered 31-01-2016 09:49 PM

Whats the learning and developmental opportunities like for Singtel MAP? Any previous MAs care to share?

As for using it akin to a stepping stone, whats are the exit opportunities like after say working for 5 years in Singtel starting from an MA? Any issues transitioning to bigger MNCs?

Unregistered 02-02-2016 01:22 PM

Which bigger MNCs are you talking about?

Being in Singtel would not put you in good stead. Why should it? It is common knowledge that Singtel MAs are the rejects from these companies in the first place. Plus, these companies already have their own MA/MT and graduate programs.

Unregistered 02-02-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79060)
Whats the learning and developmental opportunities like for Singtel MAP? Any previous MAs care to share?

As for using it akin to a stepping stone, whats are the exit opportunities like after say working for 5 years in Singtel starting from an MA? Any issues transitioning to bigger MNCs?

Generally it is easy for global mnc exp to move into singtel or any other local co but very hard the other way round. For e.g. if you are a singtel manager go and apply as analyst in google maybe still got 10% chance, if want to lateral transfer to become manager in Google is almost impossible. Staff from the 3 local telcos tend to play musical chairs with each other and sometimes within other glcs, but very rare do they succeed in moving outside the system into mnc. Those who do so are usually younger staff within 2-3 years after graduating.

Unregistered 02-02-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79155)
Generally it is easy for global mnc exp to move into singtel or any other local co but very hard the other way round. For e.g. if you are a singtel manager go and apply as analyst in google maybe still got 10% chance, if want to lateral transfer to become manager in Google is almost impossible. Staff from the 3 local telcos tend to play musical chairs with each other and sometimes within other glcs, but very rare do they succeed in moving outside the system into mnc. Those who do so are usually younger staff within 2-3 years after graduating.

i do agree. i'm in the GLC and i know how easy it is to get in and how hard to get out. my advise is dont use GLC as a stepping board because it is simply useless. even if you just wanna jump to CS/PSD, it is quite difficult as well since 1) MNC 2) CS/PSD 3) GLC 4) SME. GLC doesnt manage nor operate like how an MNC does and neither does it have that competency compare to CS. to my observation, GLC people were quite sloppy and unprofessional less CAG/ JTC. it is a known at the back of all agencies

Unregistered 02-02-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79156)
i do agree. i'm in the GLC and i know how easy it is to get in and how hard to get out. my advise is dont use GLC as a stepping board because it is simply useless. even if you just wanna jump to CS/PSD, it is quite difficult as well since 1) MNC 2) CS/PSD 3) GLC 4) SME. GLC doesnt manage nor operate like how an MNC does and neither does it have that competency compare to CS. to my observation, GLC people were quite sloppy and unprofessional less CAG/ JTC. it is a known at the back of all agencies

Sadly this pecking order is the reality which the market operates. Even if you look at top management of GLC it is always parachute either scholars from public sector or directors from mnc. You almost never hear of any c-level executive in GLC move on to head a ministry or become senior manager in MNC.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 10:22 AM

Hi guys, interesting discussion here. I am a fresh grad also looking for my first job now with 2 interviews with glc in advanced stage now.

To be honest I think it is not fair some of you condem our own local companies and look up to foregin mnc instead. I believe some of our local companies like SIA, Keppel, Mapletree or Singtel are actually very well known overseas and just as big as the well known american or european mnc.

I firmly believe that our own career is decided by our attitude and willingness to learn. The others like mnc branding is just marketing that helps but not the key factor.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79217)
I firmly believe that our own career is decided by our attitude and willingness to learn. The others like mnc branding is just marketing that helps but not the key factor.

Yes, I don't deny what you say is true.

But don't underestimate the importance of branding especially if you hope to swing around the corporate jungle. If you have been working for a while, it will be readily apparent that middle level execs from top MNCs are often brought in as C-suite executives (or very senior executives) to GLC/SMEs etc but it doesn't happen the other way around.

That is why people do management consultancy or IB for 2 years. It is for the branding and exit opportunities thereafter. McKinsey alums are very good examples of this.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79217)
Hi guys, interesting discussion here. I am a fresh grad also looking for my first job now with 2 interviews with glc in advanced stage now.

To be honest I think it is not fair some of you condem our own local companies and look up to foregin mnc instead. I believe some of our local companies like SIA, Keppel, Mapletree or Singtel are actually very well known overseas and just as big as the well known american or european mnc.

since it is your first job, then go in and try. I used to blind myself after hearing comments and now i cant wait to exit. one has to go in and feel it themselves but firstly you have to work in a foreign MNC then you will be able to compare.

Unregistered 20-12-2016 09:35 PM

Singtel Management Associate Program 2016

Hi guys,

Anyone got a reply from Singtel already?
Attended the assessment center in early Nov 2016.

Freshieguy 09-01-2017 08:20 PM

Went for the panel interview today and got the offer in the evening. Anyone else?