Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

DBS Management Associate Program 2015

Old 06-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was that even the cognitive test even if originally meant to be IQ test. But secretly will also be used to determine a person personality.

Example: how long a person takes to skip a question they don’t know. Anyhow input an answer hoping that it will be right. These can be secretly used to judge a person.
There was quite a few in this forum that mentioned about the dog eat dog ranking system among MA. It will be quite bad if not ranked among the top or worse underperforming among the bottom few.

I understand your perspective. I might not join too if that’s the case. MBA here too. Have another offer from JP as well. But I am in the position that I have done so much with so much effort to get this offer. Kind of do not want to waste the effort as well. Kind of regret even applying for this program now that I have to face this dilemma.

Which track are you from. How much did they offer you?

Old 06-07-2020, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Top MBA, decide to decline the offer.

One reason is that I got better offers.

Another reason is, as someone have discussed in the thread, a top MBA might be overqualified for this position. Somehow I feel they are not prepared to hire candidates of good qualities and experiences. I think they even didn't read my CV thoroughly before the interview, and have acted unnecessarily arrogantly (tbh DBS is not a premium brand name among top B schools, at least not premium enough to be condescending)

The biggest downside comes from package&career progression. They just offered an average package, but the condition is critical: after first 12 months, you might fall out of the track if you are considered underperformed -- If I have to face that competition, I could have chosen better firms with better salaries, and that's what I decide to do.

So I think it's not the best option for candidates with proper experiences, great education background or ample resources.
There was quite a few in this forum that mentioned about the dog eat dog ranking system among MA. It will be quite bad if not ranked among the top or worse underperforming among the bottom few.

I understand your perspective. I might not join too if that’s the case. MBA here too. Have another offer from JP as well. But I am in the position that I have done so much with so much effort to get this offer. Kind of do not want to waste the effort as well. Kind of regret even applying for this program now that I have to face this dilemma.

Which track are you from. How much did they offer you?????

Old 06-07-2020, 03:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Which track are you from. How much did they offer you?????
What is your track?

Old 06-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Which track are you from. How much did they offer you?
I don't mean to be rude, but an MBA should understand what sunk cost fallacy is. The effort you put in for DBS shouldn't even be in your consideration. On top of that, you have another offer from JP.

I don't see any dilemma here. or are you trying to humble brag?
Old 06-07-2020, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but an MBA should understand what sunk cost fallacy is. The effort you put in for DBS shouldn't even be in your consideration. On top of that, you have another offer from JP.

Not the original commenter... an offer from JP may not be better than an offer from DBS if the job scope is different. I was previously from BBS FO but have applied to DBS for a different FO role. Pay and brand name alone aren’t what drove me to prefer the DBS position, and I’m sure there are others like me too.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

You have sharp eyes. Those who have gone through panel interviews should know this is different from conventional MAP and the candidate's track and team to join after the programme has been confirmed upon this stage. For the MBA who got JP offer, mind sharing your status on dbs taleo?

Old 06-07-2020, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Top MBA, decide to decline the offer.

One reason is that I got better offers.

Another reason is, as someone have discussed in the thread, a top MBA might be overqualified for this position. Somehow I feel they are not prepared to hire candidates of good qualities and experiences. I think they even didn't read my CV thoroughly before the interview, and have acted unnecessarily arrogantly (tbh DBS is not a premium brand name among top B schools, at least not premium enough to be condescending)

The biggest downside comes from package&career progression. They just offered an average package, but the condition is critical: after first 12 months, you might fall out of the track if you are considered underperformed -- If I have to face that competition, I could have chosen better firms with better salaries, and that's what I decide to do.

So I think it's not the best option for candidates with proper experiences, great education background or ample resources.
congrats for the multiple offers! tbh, as an MBA I also didn't think very highly of them after this entire experience:

1. 75% of their interview process was standardised and placed no emphasis/desire to understand u as an individual on a deeper and more personal level. if they're not even willing to make the effort to do that, it's unlikely that they'd do that to groom, mentor and develop u when u join them.

2. Before the panel, hr called and provided a list of 6 key projects/teams for me to choose from on the spot. I was told that I may not be assigned to a project of my choice and that this would be my "home" for the entire EMAP. I remember being disappointed at the lack of mobility and progression.

3. there's an obvious lack of diversity, a key ingredient to drive innovation, which is crucial for banks to thrive in this era of razor-thin interest margins. my panel comprised entirely of Singaporeans who've stayed at the bank for 20+ years and most, if not all, without a masters or MBA. now I don't want to sound elitist, but how are you gonna understand and satisfy the development needs of a group of ambitious, overachieving graduates?

4. my panel was arrogant as well. even after grilling me for almost 80mins, when it was my turn to finally ask questions, they answered my questions by asking me back more questions. this shows how much they valued my concerns. throughout the session, a few of the more senior interviewers even said things along the likes of "oh u should've done this, u should've thought that or u should've said that".

I hope what I've just shared would be useful for those with the luxury of choice. I am in no way a troll or a DBS-hater, just sharing my experience the way I felt/observed. cheers.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
congrats for the multiple offers! tbh, as an MBA I also didn't think very highly of them after this entire experience:

1. 75% of their interview process was standardised and placed no emphasis/desire to understand u as an individual on a deeper and more personal level. if they're not even willing to make the effort to do that, it's unlikely that they'd do that to groom, mentor and develop u when u join them.

2. Before the panel, hr called and provided a list of 6 key projects/teams for me to choose from on the spot. I was told that I may not be assigned to a project of my choice and that this would be my "home" for the entire EMAP. I remember being disappointed at the lack of mobility and progression.

3. there's an obvious lack of diversity, a key ingredient to drive innovation, which is crucial for banks to thrive in this era of razor-thin interest margins. my panel comprised entirely of Singaporeans who've stayed at the bank for 20+ years and most, if not all, without a masters or MBA. now I don't want to sound elitist, but how are you gonna understand and satisfy the development needs of a group of ambitious, overachieving graduates?

4. my panel was arrogant as well. even after grilling me for almost 80mins, when it was my turn to finally ask questions, they answered my questions by asking me back more questions. this shows how much they valued my concerns. throughout the session, a few of the more senior interviewers even said things along the likes of "oh u should've done this, u should've thought that or u should've said that".

I hope what I've just shared would be useful for those with the luxury of choice. I am in no way a troll or a DBS-hater, just sharing my experience the way I felt/observed. cheers.
Regarding point number 2. I thought there is rotations in various functions during the 1st year?
Old 06-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

Got offered. They were kind to me! Wore low cut show neh neh big big during their interview. They did not grill me at all. Only ask me about my personal life. Total them about my se-x life and bingo offered me 10k
Old 06-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Got offered. They were kind to me! Wore low cut show neh neh big big during their interview. They did not grill me at all. Only ask me about my personal life. Total them about my se-x life and bingo offered me 10k
thanks for being obvious