Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Reject a Signed contract? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4400-reject-signed-contract.html)

Mamamonster 02-09-2014 04:54 PM

Reject a Signed contract?

Hi guys,

I need advice on what and how to go about-
I have signed a contract with company A to start work at Oct 01, However, company B called and offer alot better then company A. I feel like switching to company B. But as i have already signed the contract, how do i reject the contract.

The contract didn't specify any termination notice before start of work only specify during probationary period.

Unregistered 02-09-2014 05:52 PM

That is a very common situation, anyways as long as you haven started it is easy. Just inform / write to the HR or hiring manager to say that despite signing the LO you have decided not to accept and will not be turning up on the 1st day etc.

If it is via a recruitment agency just tell the job agent that you will not be turning up etc.

Unregistered 02-09-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55856)
That is a very common situation, anyways as long as you haven started it is easy. Just inform / write to the HR or hiring manager to say that despite signing the LO you have decided not to accept and will not be turning up on the 1st day etc.

If it is via a recruitment agency just tell the job agent that you will not be turning up etc.

Check the LOA clause if there is any penalty for breaching it. Normally is one month salary.

boongaylim 03-09-2014 12:59 PM

no show penalty

Hi, Most letter of offer contain a "no show penalty". If none is mentioned, the employer can still demand one. Why don't you check with the HR and then consult a lawyer?

Unregistered 03-09-2014 04:55 PM

This no show clause is not very common it seems. I have signed 6 different LOs and have never seen a no show clause before.

Standard are notice period but if you never turn up it is technically not applicable.

Unregistered 04-09-2014 10:19 AM

working in a law firm, my boss said before that penalty clauses are not enforceable.

if they want to send you letter of demand, still need to spend money hiring external lawyers.

Unregistered 04-09-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55923)
working in a law firm, my boss said before that penalty clauses are not enforceable.

if they want to send you letter of demand, still need to spend money hiring external lawyers.

It is unlikely they will want to waste money going after someone who has not even joined yet! Better to save the time and money and continue looking for new candidate instead.

Unregistered 04-09-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55930)
It is unlikely they will want to waste money going after someone who has not even joined yet! Better to save the time and money and continue looking for new candidate instead.

precisely!