Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   offer put on hold? (public sector) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4373-offer-put-hold-public-sector.html)

mangos47 28-08-2014 04:30 PM

offer put on hold? (public sector)

I was given an oral offer by a statutory board three weeks ago and went for medical check up two weeks ago. But then there hasn't been any update. So I wrote to the HR to check the status, and to my surprise, I was told the offer is put on hold due to some internal changes. (waiting approval and final decision from top management)

Anyone has similar experience like this? Shall I consider it gone and move on? (which probably is the only option anyway)

Unregistered 28-08-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangos47 (Post 55568)
I was given an oral offer by a statutory board three weeks ago and went for medical check up two weeks ago. But then there hasn't been any update. So I wrote to the HR to check the status, and to my surprise, I was told the offer is put on hold due to some internal changes. (waiting approval and final decision from top management)

Anyone has similar experience like this? Shall I consider it gone and move on? (which probably is the only option anyway)

Don't scare me. I'm also given a verbal offer and waiting to be called down to sign contract. By right, the stat board should exercise integrity to make sure the verbal offer stand.

By the way, I thought medical check up is done after signing employment contract?

in3deep 28-08-2014 04:59 PM

seems very common nowdays

mine after intw day recruitment put on hold a need a few weeks to update if going ahead with recruitment or not

after 3 weeks call me say recruitment is back on but senior mgmt wanna conduct intw another bunch of candidates so i need to hold on for awhile more to see if i getting offer

in other words, i was shortlisted the first time they conducted the 2 round intw n written test, but after the restruturing, they wanna intw another bunch of candidates

Unregistered 28-08-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 55571)
seems very common nowdays

mine after intw day recruitment put on hold a need a few weeks to update if going ahead with recruitment or not

after 3 weeks call me say recruitment is back on but senior mgmt wanna conduct intw another bunch of candidates so i need to hold on for awhile more to see if i getting offer

in other words, i was shortlisted the first time they conducted the 2 round intw n written test, but after the restruturing, they wanna intw another bunch of candidates

Oh dear. The organisation doesn't sound very responsible cos keep dragging the time. Did they tell u how long they will take to get back to u again?

At least the organisation got back to u. I waited for very long after the interview and did not receive any calls. Pluck up the courage to call the HR and was told they forgot to call me back.

Hermit 28-08-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Don't hold your breath waiting for good news. Start looking again.

Things like that happen when there are disagreements among HR, the hiring dept etc.

in3deep 28-08-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55572)
Oh dear. The organisation doesn't sound very responsible cos keep dragging the time. Did they tell u how long they will take to get back to u again?

At least the organisation got back to u. I waited for very long after the interview and did not receive any calls. Pluck up the courage to call the HR and was told they forgot to call me back.

yup... also makes me wonder if they really keen

cause if they keen, should offer lioa... say shortlisted from original bunch of candidates but mgmt wanna intw another bunch of candidates...then if the like someone from there, den me is hong kan lioa

say about 2-3weeks... after they finish intwing next bunch of candidates

Unregistered 28-08-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 55575)
yup... also makes me wonder if they really keen

cause if they keen, should offer lioa... say shortlisted from original bunch of candidates but mgmt wanna intw another bunch of candidates...then if the like someone from there, den me is hong kan lioa

say about 2-3weeks... after they finish intwing next bunch of candidates

I would be pissed if I were u. Made me wait for results after interview.. Made me wait again to see if they are hiring.. Made me wait again for the final results after they finish with the second batch for second round of interview.. U continue looking for other jobs meanwhile

Unregistered 28-08-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Can I ask which stat board is this? Doesn't sound responsible.

mangos47 28-08-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55570)
Don't scare me. I'm also given a verbal offer and waiting to be called down to sign contract. By right, the stat board should exercise integrity to make sure the verbal offer stand.

By the way, I thought medical check up is done after signing employment contract?

I was instructed to do medical check-up while they doing the clearance - to move things faster in parallel, that's what the HR lady said. And I was specifically told that I need to wait for a final confirmation call from them once all clearance is done.

Another odd practice IMO is that I was told if the offer is confirmed eventually, I need to resign from my current employer first, then go down and sign contract with them.

Anyway, hopefully

mangos47 28-08-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55572)

They didn't get back to me either. I waited for 2 weeks and decided to email the HR manager and was informed of such status. She doesn't have a definitive date or expected timeline either, only citing still waiting decision from top management.