Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career change after 10 months

Old 06-03-2022, 12:53 AM
Verified Member

xin is on a distinguished road
Default Career change after 10 months

Graduated last year April and started work in May.

Currently earning 3.7k working 1-2h per week (full work from home) as company really has nth much to do.

Now I have a potential offer of 4.8-5k but from what I heard there's a lot of OT. Basically I will be going from 1-2h per week to 40-50h per week. But I'm okay becos I don't want to literally do nth at home for the next few years.

Should I just switch? Will I look bad hopping after 10-12 months? What's the ideal stay for the first 5 years of career?

Last edited by xin; 06-03-2022 at 12:56 AM. Reason: yes
Old 06-03-2022, 01:47 AM
Unregistered

Intro me your current job which can work 1 to 2 hours a week for 3.7k please

Old 06-03-2022, 02:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Intro me your current job which can work 1 to 2 hours a week for 3.7k please
Tech role in non-tech company. Run 3-10 commands to process files which take between 2-20 hours to process. Just never write bash script to remove the last 1-2 hours I'm working. Might create some visualization once in a while. But other than that nth much.

I think they severely overestimated the time needed to do basic programming/command line stuff...

Just doing self-learning most of the time or leetcode.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-03-2022, 03:52 PM

singlebuyhdb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xin View Post

Currently earning 3.7k working 1-2h per week (full work from home) as company really has nth much to do.

Now I have a potential offer of 4.8-5k but from what I heard there's a lot of OT. Basically I will be going from 1-2h per week to 40-50h per week. But I'm okay becos I don't want to literally do nth at home for the next few years.

Should I just switch? Will I look bad hopping after 10-12 months? What's the ideal stay for the first 5 years of career?
I logged in just to help you out because I was in a similar place once and I don't want anyone to go through the same, it really sucks.

1: Stay with 3.7k for a few more months, upskill yourself during the 38-39 free hours you have in a week and find better jobs. 4.8k to 5k is really not that high... Personally I would never join a company that OTs 50 hours+ a week and pays me <6k pay.

2: take the 4.8k to 5k. Work for 1-2 years then hop for >6k+ pay jobs. This might be harder because you said you'll be OTing a lot right? there's no guarantee that whatever you're gonna do at this company will benefit you in terms of doing well for interviews and you don't have that much free time to self-learn / prep for interviews.

So you have to decide for yourself. If you're stagnating and looking to do something productive / meaningful, pick option 2.

If you're capable of self-learning and know that you can definitely land a good junior role in the next few months that will pay you more than 5k / monthly, pick option 1.

Doing nothing / barely anything at a dev job is the fastest way to perform career suicide. In fact, when we're young and early in our career, that's the best time to grind hard and achieve as high as possible.

Once you're older, you'll have families ( I dunno, maybe ), or other responsibilities or other dreams ( traveling overseas, etc ). You won't have as much time as you do now when you're older.

Last edited by singlebuyhdb; 06-03-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlebuyhdb View Post
I logged in just to help you out because I was in a similar place once and I don't want anyone to go through the same, it really sucks.

1: Stay with 3.7k for a few more months, upskill yourself during the 38-39 free hours you have in a week and find better jobs. 4.8k to 5k is really not that high... Personally I would never join a company that OTs 50 hours+ a week and pays me <6k pay.

2: take the 4.8k to 5k. Work for 1-2 years then hop for >6k+ pay jobs. This might be harder because you said you'll be OTing a lot right? there's no guarantee that whatever you're gonna do at this company will benefit you in terms of doing well for interviews and you don't have that much free time to self-learn / prep for interviews.

So you have to decide for yourself. If you're stagnating and looking to do something productive / meaningful, pick option 2.

If you're capable of self-learning and know that you can definitely land a good junior role in the next few months that will pay you more than 5k / monthly, pick option 1.

Doing nothing / barely anything at a dev job is the fastest way to perform career suicide. In fact, when we're young and early in our career, that's the best time to grind hard and achieve as high as possible.

Once you're older, you'll have families ( I dunno, maybe ), or other responsibilities or other dreams ( traveling overseas, etc ). You won't have as much time as you do now when you're older.
Thanks for the insight.

Tbh I don't come from a pure technical background like CS/Math. The new company would be a good jump for me as it's core business is software/AI instead of some traditional business with a bit of tech which is what I'm working on right now. No mentorship or anything. The new company would have a decent amount of tech people.

Your 2nd point is good. I'm thinking of staying around 2 years and learn a lot + upskill myself. Tbh I don't care about WLB at this age. Just want to make the most as my degree is only semi technical and most large tech companies prioritize CS degrees.

And yes, I'm stagnating right now and just self-learning online some technical tools and leetcode practice. I think a jump from 3.7k-6k will be tough. That's why I might as well take the opportunity first.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:10 PM

singlebuyhdb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the insight.

Tbh I don't come from a pure technical background like CS/Math. The new company would be a good jump for me as it's core business is software/AI instead of some traditional business with a bit of tech which is what I'm working on. No mentorship or anything. The new company would have a decent amount of tech people.

Your 2nd point is good. I'm thinking of staying around 2 years and learn a lot + upskill myself. Tbh I don't care about WLB at this age. Just want to make the most as my degree is only semi technical and most large tech companies prioritize CS degrees.

And yes, I'm stagnating right now and just self-learning online some technical tools and leetcode practice. I think a jump from 3.7k-6k will be tough. That's why I might as well take the opportunity first.
No problem, also sorry for rambling all over the place lol

Yeah if its meaningful work then definitely do it. Seems to me like you got it all planned out tbh, go for it!

Also yeah agreed, make the most out of this, spend 2 years, once you rack up enough YOE, companies / recruiters will stop caring whether your degree is CS focused or not. Anyway good luck, you'll do fine!

Old 06-03-2022, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

If your current environment ok . Just stick with it and do some self improvement gain some profile .

Speaking from my experience , company with a lot OT might kill you .

I prefer decent money and have more work life balance .
Old 06-03-2022, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If your current environment ok . Just stick with it and do some self improvement gain some profile .

Speaking from my experience , company with a lot OT might kill you .

I prefer decent money and have more work life balance .
3.7k / monthly is not decent money lol

also TS is young , i doubt OT will kill him .

TS just go with what that hdb guy said , u young and 5k is a lot more than ur 3.7k... i also didnt know tech can get 3.7k wtf so low...

is this ST engineering?
Old 06-03-2022, 08:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
3.7k / monthly is not decent money lol

also TS is young , i doubt OT will kill him .

TS just go with what that hdb guy said , u young and 5k is a lot more than ur 3.7k... i also didnt know tech can get 3.7k wtf so low...

is this ST engineering?
Tech is not the main business of this company. The company just venture into tech to get some funding and refuse to spend money hiring more people or providing resources. So I end up doing nothing much.

Not engineering. Some sciences company.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Ideal stay would be actually ~ 2 years in order not for ppl to not to label you as a job hopper.