Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   SMBC (Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/4290-smbc-sumitomo-mitsui-banking-corporation.html)

charmel 12-08-2014 02:05 PM

SMBC (Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation)

Hi all, would like to find out as above? For instance, most gov agencies r pro family friendly. And some of the local banks r probably. They understand you do have family needs etc.

Tyvm!

Unregistered 12-08-2014 03:25 PM

what is smbc?

charmel 12-08-2014 04:06 PM

Sorry didnt spell it out.smbc is sumitomo mitsui banking corp (jap bank).

Unregistered 12-08-2014 08:22 PM

Not too bad as far as banks go. But they are pretty regimental about working hours and time off, so if you are the kind happy happy want to go off early or come in late or run errands during lunch, then it will be frown on.

I used to work there as contractor supporting trade compliance, except for peak periods most of the time by 8pm most people will be gone.

charmel 12-08-2014 09:24 PM

Okie..thanks for the info.but as a contractor, wont they convert you to perm?

Unregistered 13-08-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmel (Post 54590)
Okie..thanks for the info.but as a contractor, wont they convert you to perm?

They offer to renew for 1 more year and say likely will convert to perm after that, but I was not interested.

It's really a very dead end place with little increment and career progression. It will be good for you since you want stability and pro-family hour. For me once you are stuck there too long, no marketability at all so I had to leave while I can.

Once you join them you will understand, very stable uncle auntie kind of environment for back office, maciam like some SME. Very unlike international or even the local banks.

charmel 13-08-2014 12:37 PM

I see. ..I am def looking for pro fam n work life bal company. I cannot go off late due to an infant commitment. I worked in local bank ops before this but cos always busy cannot go off early so I left. I do not mind pay as well.family is my priority now. Thanks for sharing ur experience. I agree foreign banks ecposure are diff...but foreign banks to me now r unstable.and mostly require much ot.

charmel 13-08-2014 12:44 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask u if it is a stressful environment over there? Also, have u taken any urgent leave before and resulted in any unhappiness? Ty.

Unregistered 13-08-2014 04:04 PM

SMBC operations in general hardly any stress, most usually leave by 7 or 6.30pm. Increment can be quite bad but bonuses are quite decent usually at least 2 to 3.5 months. Career progression is mainly limited to rank promotions: officer - senior officer - assistant manager - deputy manager - manager - senior manager - AGM

Can transfer departments but usually only after a long time like 5 years + etc.

Overall, among the 3 Jap mega banks, SMBC has the best benefits and is the least regimental among the others. Also, their training department is in KL so if you sign up for any courses can fly to KL and stay at the Hilton for a few days :p

Er if due to urgent family problem can take half-day leave. Time-off etc think is limited to 2 hours max if not have to take half-day. Depends on your boss.

charmel 13-08-2014 09:17 PM

Hihi, thank you for so much info! Having endless questions but I think they r too much to be asked. Haha.cos I dont really hear about smbc benefits n culture before. Hope u r now in your dream workplace! =)