Private Degree accepted in Govt Jobs / Public Sector? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Private Degree accepted in Govt Jobs / Public Sector?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2014, 02:12 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
almostironman is on a distinguished road
Default Private Degree accepted in Govt Jobs / Public Sector?

Anyone here currently working in govt/public sector with a private degree?

I heard they only accept local uni grads and pte degree are treated as diploma lvl, & only some stat boards hire pte. Is that true?
What's the average starting pay for private degrees (SIM/UOL/RMIT etc) in govt sector?
Please share...

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostironman View Post
Anyone here currently working in govt/public sector with a private degree?

I heard they only accept local uni grads and pte degree are treated as diploma lvl, & only some stat boards hire pte. Is that true?
What's the average starting pay for private degrees (SIM/UOL/RMIT etc) in govt sector?
Please share...
Its very very rare to find private degree holders in ministry. Stat boards are easier so you should aim for that instead.

I have seen some private degree holders in the ministry/stat boards but they did NOT come in as fresh grads. Either they came in much earlier as poly grads, then were recommended to upgrade themselves by getting a part-time degree or they came in mid-career.

I wouldnt say its impossible, just extremely hard to enter as a private degree holder. The poly grads that come in and were recommended to upgrade after a few years were only allowed to pursue courses from Unisim, the others were not recognised.

You should try your hand at private sector, dont waste your time in public sector, you will not get in.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostironman View Post
Anyone here currently working in govt/public sector with a private degree?

I heard they only accept local uni grads and pte degree are treated as diploma lvl, & only some stat boards hire pte. Is that true?
What's the average starting pay for private degrees (SIM/UOL/RMIT etc) in govt sector?
Please share...
yup, speaking from experience. it is a very very low chance that you will get called up for an interview in public sector.

most of the big GLCs will take in pte students, eg SQ, SATS, Sembcorp, Keppel, ST....

however you can save your effort filling up the long and tedious forms for the newer ones like CAG because the management is relatively fresh out of the civil service and have not shed their elitist mindset.

true story, from mine and my sister's own experiences.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

private graduates still can try those front-end jobs in ministries/ stat boards like MOM or IRAS though. There's still chance to get in if your diploma or O/A lvls good enough to impress, together with good academic results in university.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2014, 03:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 80
100sheets is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
private graduates still can try those front-end jobs in ministries/ stat boards like MOM or IRAS though. There's still chance to get in if your diploma or O/A lvls good enough to impress, together with good academic results in university.
why bother when you have better opportunities in the private sector?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100sheets View Post
why bother when you have better opportunities in the private sector?
hits and misses.. many MNCs nowadays don't come near to civil service pays. that is why every local fresh grad nowadays only aim to join the comfy civil service and the private sector is forced to turn to FTs.

although i am not a local grad but i must say not all foreign grads are the same. although some foreign uni grads (excluding the top tier units) are on par, if not exceeding a local grad but many others are really cmi. hence again MNCs have to turn to the 3rd rate FTs from C, P, I mainly.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hits and misses.. many MNCs nowadays don't come near to civil service pays. that is why every local fresh grad nowadays only aim to join the comfy civil service and the private sector is forced to turn to FTs.

although i am not a local grad but i must say not all foreign grads are the same. although some foreign uni grads (excluding the top tier units) are on par, if not exceeding a local grad but many others are really cmi. hence again MNCs have to turn to the 3rd rate FTs from C, P, I mainly.
Dont bother about the public sector. Yes, starting salaries are high. But promotions are slow and you will get nowhere if you are not scholar material. I have seen non-scholars fly up to AD positions quickly but if you are not as good as them, you will be stuck. Private sector has a higher chance of success. Yes, your starting salary may be low, but in a few years time, you can easily beat your peers that chose the public sector route.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Millionaire Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 275
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostironman View Post
Anyone here currently working in govt/public sector with a private degree?

I heard they only accept local uni grads and pte degree are treated as diploma lvl, & only some stat boards hire pte. Is that true?
What's the average starting pay for private degrees (SIM/UOL/RMIT etc) in govt sector?
Please share...
Go private. Unless you have absolutely no choice.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
almostironman is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for sharing, I shall try my luck at both sectors..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29-06-2014, 02:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 80
100sheets is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dont bother about the public sector. Yes, starting salaries are high. But promotions are slow and you will get nowhere if you are not scholar material. I have seen non-scholars fly up to AD positions quickly but if you are not as good as them, you will be stuck. Private sector has a higher chance of success. Yes, your starting salary may be low, but in a few years time, you can easily beat your peers that chose the public sector route.
especially true for distance learning grads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil, govt, rmit, sim, uol

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importance of Education level between Private Sector and Public Sector mshappy Income and Jobs 3 09-10-2013 06:24 PM
Career switch from govt to private sector geniuspear Income and Jobs 9 30-07-2013 02:51 PM
Is it difficult for private degree to get into public sector? BubblesAirHead Income and Jobs 6 07-04-2013 09:40 PM
Private or Public Sector? dupdupdup Income and Jobs 0 23-10-2012 10:56 PM
Any of you guys grad with private degree working in govt job? 021287B Income and Jobs 5 26-07-2010 11:59 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,812 Replies, 3,718,602 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,961 Replies, 416,294 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
190 Replies, 53,306 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 9,612 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
304 Replies, 190,226 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,203 Replies, 352,586 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
687 Replies, 199,723 Views
Industries with Highest Proportion... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 33,696 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
375 Replies, 165,888 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 79,155 Views
What can a fresh phd in public... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 5,086 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,219 Replies, 4,078,096 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
171 Replies, 60,502 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,655 Replies, 2,253,013 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
105 Replies, 109,709 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 110,922 Views
Starting pay for fresh grad? ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 22,490 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,722 Replies, 1,515,463 Views
Restructuring and insolvency
5 Replies, 368 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
120 Replies, 104,651 Views
Working at Accenture ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 8,902 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
374 Replies, 318,377 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,680 Replies, 6,657,108 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
73 Replies, 28,709 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,960 Replies, 1,169,240 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,008 Replies, 470,701 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
455 Replies, 99,811 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2